Gransnet forums

Chat

Depression and Anxiety

(44 Posts)
pollyparrot Mon 14-Mar-16 07:37:58

We've have mental illness in our family. One family member has been treated for acute anxiety. Treatment was with medication and CBT and it was a long process. The illness was undoubtedly triggered following events reported in the news concerning child abductions and child abuse.

pompa Sun 13-Mar-16 23:02:09

Mine is clinical depression. It is not sad things that trigger it, rather things that are out of my control, and usually things that others would not understand or consider important.

morethan2 Sun 13-Mar-16 22:38:19

Your right Luckygirl and with the change in weather I'm hoping to stop it getting a hold

morethan2 Sun 13-Mar-16 22:36:16

A little (((hug))) annsixty

morethan2 Sun 13-Mar-16 22:28:52

I know comparing ourselves to others in a far far worse position makes guilt and that's the one of worse things about depression and it stops us seeking treatment. It's shitty awful isn't it.

Marelli Sun 13-Mar-16 22:25:55

This awful tragedy happened just a few miles away from me, annsixty. It's impossible to imagine what the little boys' parents are going through.
When a piece of news like this appears, we identity with it quickly - more so than an air accident or a natural disaster where many lose their lives. Dunblane's anniversary has stirred up such sadness for everyone this weekend, too.
I don't think I have depression as such, but I do dwell on things and that can make me anxious.
annsixty, I hope things improve a bit for you and that your pain can be managed. It's not been easy for you. flowers

Luckygirl Sun 13-Mar-16 22:17:54

Depression is not a choice, and you have no reason to be ashamed. When you are depressed it does not help to compare your lot with others. Take care of yourself - you are important too.

annsixty Sun 13-Mar-16 21:58:16

I have just read on Google news about the 2year old twin boys, born by IVF who have drowned in a large fish tank. How can I ever be so selfish as to say I am depressed?
I feel ashamed I must count my MANY blessings.

Luckygirl Sun 13-Mar-16 21:55:36

You have good reason to feel sorry for yourself annsixty - I know what a challenge your life is.

It is not wrong to recognise that there are many global wrongs about which we can do nothing - we can feel sad about what is happening, at the same time as knowing we are helpless. Sometimes we have to concentrate on what is in front of us, and let the rest wash by - it is about survival. Feeling bad about this does not add to the sum of human happiness. It is not apathy - it is being human and realistic.

Everything feels much worse when you are in pain - I hope that you can get some proper pain relief. Are you getting some proper support to help you with the care of your husband? flowers

annsixty Sun 13-Mar-16 21:46:29

You posted while I was typing LuckygirlI am not even able to go out for a walk I am in such pain.

annsixty Sun 13-Mar-16 21:43:48

I am feeling very depressed at the moment and like others can't watch the news or
read the papers. Terrible as it sounds I just think "so what" or " well I can't help" and I hate myself for it because I know it is so wrong.
My eyes are troubling me,,I am dealing with either severe arthritis or sciatica and my H is getting worse at rrememberingy anything that happened 5 minutes ago and making sense of the world. Yes I am feeling sorry for myself I admit it.
Detachment and apathy sum it up perfectly morethan2

Luckygirl Sun 13-Mar-16 21:35:40

I am sorry to hear that morethan2 - I find that going out for a walk helps to kick that feeling when it starts to come on. It sounds trite I know, but it works for me - enough to start me in the right direction when things are not good. I do hope that the feeling will lift for you. It is a trial I know. I am sending you lots of good wishes.

morethan2 Sun 13-Mar-16 21:15:09

I've been depressed twice. Both reactive. i think I'm getting it again. you know that feeling of detachment and apathy that washes over you now and again. I'm hoping because it's nearly Spring it will go. Fingers crossedsad

Luckygirl Sun 13-Mar-16 20:44:06

I find the news hard to watch and to hear as do we all.

But clinical depression is not about feeling sad; it is about being ill with all the body systems slowed down. I am therefore nor sure that it is induced by sad information, although that cannot help.

Lona Sun 13-Mar-16 20:33:19

I'm afraid I have had to stop reading the news in any sort of detail. I skim through most of the bad stuff because I just can't cope with anymore. So much has gone on in my life over the last few years, and I've sort of switched off!

Ana Sun 13-Mar-16 20:14:06

Yes, I think I agree with pompa and grannylyn, but the constant background of bad news via the internet doesn't help.

grannylyn65 Sun 13-Mar-16 20:12:03

Quite .

pompa Sun 13-Mar-16 20:09:26

AS someone who has suffered with depression for many years, I can say that, for me, it is the small things closer to home that push me over the brink. Never World affairs.

pollyparrot Sun 13-Mar-16 20:06:40

Depression and anxiety seem to be on the increase. Could it be the amount of miserable and worrying news we are bombarded with constantly? Every news bulletin is awash with tragic deaths from bombings, stabbings, shootings, natural disasters etc., or the latest paedophile ring, or the desperation of asylum seekers.... I think you get the idea.

At one time we only knew what went on in our own small communities and families. Nowadays we're faced with the misery of not just our town but every town and country in the world. It's all hard to avoid and I think it must have some effect on us.