Gransnet forums

Chat

Reflecting on the weekend............. .

(59 Posts)
j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 09:42:03

and considering Monarchists versus the antis, I think we won. grin

Stansgran Thu 07-Jun-12 20:27:58

Didn't Churchill say something on the lines that a monarchy was an appalling way to rule a country but the other ways were infinitely worse

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 19:22:35

grin

Jacey Thu 07-Jun-12 18:45:20

OK JessM you had me worried there ...what had I said?? confused
But eventually worked my way back to the OP and realised your J was referring to j04 [sigh of relief] emoticon

JessM Thu 07-Jun-12 18:29:30

Didn't know it was a competition J - do you mean on GN or in the world at large I wonder.
I did try my best to butt out and only slipped up twice - despite the plethora of threads, which seemed for a while to be breeding by the hour. And here we have yet another Jubilee thread!
I think the non-royalists on GN were very restrained considering and, being fairly grown up, did not want to spoil your enjoyment by sniping and carping about the monarchy!
Queen gets points for being utterly tactful and restrained for all those decades and never putting her foot in it. Very restrained. Res-pect!
In world at large who can say - the royalists were out in public view. The rest of us were abroad, out walking, watching Hugh Grant movies on satellite, gardening, in the pictures etc etc and not putting our hands up to be counted.
I am looking forward to an Olympics in which GN has: a rowing thread, a weightlifting thread, a canoeing thread, a diving thread, an indoor cycling thread, an outdoor cycling thread, a swimming thread, a track events thread, a field events thread etc etc grin
Oh I forgot - Wimbledon comes first and us non tennis fans will let you tennis fans have fun without any grumbling I hope.
But please can you make this be the last jubilee thread at least until the next time!

Annobel Thu 07-Jun-12 18:20:21

Enjoy your holiday, Charlotta. I hope it isn't too arduous! sunshine

nanaej Thu 07-Jun-12 18:08:51

it might be more interesting to have dark haired royal babies..we have had generations of fair /blonde ones... maybe Harry ( though is he really a Windsor??) will marry a non-white non-european.

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 17:38:01

Have a lovely holiday Charlotta.

I can see where you're coming from. And I sympathise quite a bit.

But it would be a shame to call a halt on so many centuries of history. We don't want the world to become too dull a place.

Charlotta Thu 07-Jun-12 17:33:32

The republicans or anti royalists have never been counted and there are far more than it seems. As long as there is the sentimental but loyal BBC they will never have a lobby.

I am dog tired today- packing for a holiday and wish I had someone to do all my work and I had just to appear there. No hassle with motorways or driving or suitcases. I think the queen does alright. She only has to get up and go where she opens a school or whatever. Her special cup of tea will be made for her. I would love that when on holiday! She doesn't have to look after her clothes or go shopping. When everything is done for you, you have NOTHING to do.
I think if she had to live in a council flat up a flight of stairs and had to do EVERYTHING then she would be tired out like every other 86 yr old.
I don't wish her ill but wish people would stop this everlasting praise of someone who has lead a very privileged life and when ill or frial will be able to remain in her own home, in her own bed and be lovingly looked after.

Now I'm off to GN-less holiday so you royalists can have field day sticking up for their queen.

Anagram Thu 07-Jun-12 17:07:45

I was only questioning your assumption that their children would be blonde, jingl, and pointing out that there was another option - hence my hmm! emoticon!

(ginger in my family too!) wink

Jacey Thu 07-Jun-12 17:03:25

crimson I agree wirh your comments about Diana flag

Yes Mishap ...I wouldn't want to go down the presidency root either!! [crown]

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 16:51:09

See! You're upsetting everybody now! hmm

Ella46 Thu 07-Jun-12 16:50:27

Careful Anagram !!!! Some of us were born with a full head of ginger hair! grin

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 16:50:05

(have got ginger in our family)

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 16:49:04

And what's wrong with that?!!!!

Careful here, Anagram. [warning emoti]

wink

Anagram Thu 07-Jun-12 16:43:48

They might have been ginger, though.....hmm

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 16:42:04

I think Diana's genes input has probably saved the future of the royal family.

Pity Harry didn't marry Chelsea (or she wouldn't marry him). It would have been nice to see some little chubby blonde children in the family.

absentgrana Thu 07-Jun-12 13:49:54

Mishap Monarchy might be better than American-style president but there are other models.

Mishap Thu 07-Jun-12 13:48:19

Monarchy is better than the alternative - we might get a Mormon leading the country - or an out-of-work actor!!

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 13:32:30

I've always thought Charles was way ahead of his time with his ideas on conservation and alternative medicine. Camilla will always be 'the other woman' to me, probably because I've been there and got the t shirt. Loose cannon Diana might have been [and Camilla is much more suited to Prince Charles] but my ongoing thought throughout the festivities was 'it was Diana that showed you what your public wanted/expected from their monarchy and I hope you all acknowledge that fact'.

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 13:22:25

I think Camilla will make a good Queen. If they decide to go down that route.

I hope so.

AlisonMA Thu 07-Jun-12 12:35:16

Prince Charles is patron of Birmingham Royal Ballet and when he went to meet them all they found him very pleasant and it was obvious he had done his homework very well. I know many of them had a rethink about him. I saw pictures of the Duchess of Cornwall when she went to Elmhurst Ballet School and thought she looked an old frump. She certainly doesn't 'do it' for me.

glassortwo Thu 07-Jun-12 11:12:50

No didnt see it been away most of the weekend. But have heard good reports.

I think he needs to show he can be more like his Mum, he has a knack of saying something and he usually has to duck afterwards for the flack grin

Anagram Thu 07-Jun-12 11:07:58

I wonder if he'll have to keep his more eccentric views to himself when he's King? After all, the Queen doesn't offer advice on how to encourage plant growth, or criticise architectural monstrosities.
Just wondering....

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 11:01:51

Yes! And he'll be a good one.

Just like George V1 was. smile

Did you see him on telly going through old private films of the Queen's. He came across as really warm and family loving. Can't be bad.

glassortwo Thu 07-Jun-12 10:57:47

Do you think Charles will ever become King?