Gransnet forums

Chat

Nicholas Parsons.

(18 Posts)
gracesmum Tue 05-Jun-12 15:00:24

I hate to be a voice in the wilderness, but I hate Just a Minute!! - Each to his own, though and it is a brilliant concept.

Greatnan Sun 03-Jun-12 23:14:52

I think ISIHAC will be back for a new series in the Autumn - the official site says they run two series a year, so perhaps there will be another series in the sumer too. I am always amazed at the double entendres they get away with, about 'Samantha'.

nanaej Sun 03-Jun-12 22:28:04

Aww! saw Humph in an open air concert the summer before he died. he was a great wit and musician smile

Anne58 Sun 03-Jun-12 21:31:16

Digressing slightly, but only slightly, surely we should be due a series of "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue"? The dear late Humph was brilliant but I do think that Jack Dee has done a very good job so far.

Please don't get me wrong, I do enjoy "Just a Minute", but feel that a series of ISIHAC must be overdue!

Greatnan Sun 03-Jun-12 21:18:53

I think you are right, Phoenix - they do the same with Countdown. I suppose it is more economical to film a few episodes at the same time.
I do think older people, no matter how fit they are, should be careful about colds and flu. (I am not an older person, of course!)

Anne58 Sun 03-Jun-12 21:16:23

Greatnan, Mr P and I noticed that, (Nicholas sounding as if he had a cold) about 3 weeks ago, then in the next edition transmitted he sounded fine, then back to the cold. I'm pretty sure that they record 2 or 3 episodes at each location, but then trnamit them in a different order so that the same guests don't appear to be on for too long at a time?

petallus Sun 03-Jun-12 20:01:40

So 'Please release me, let me go' takes on a new meaning for Engelbert then? grin

Greatnan Sun 03-Jun-12 19:27:06

Des O'Connor also looks very good for his age. Poor old Engelbert looks like a corpse that has had the attentions of a mortician.

petallus Sun 03-Jun-12 19:19:59

I often listen to Just a Minute. Can hardly believe Nicholas P is as old as that.

nanaej Sun 03-Jun-12 18:00:19

Good old Nicholas! If I get to his age hope I have a mind as alert!

Greatnan Sun 03-Jun-12 17:45:51

I think the record for any presenter might go to Sir Patrick Moore for The Sky at Night. I used to like him, but I think he has some very out-dated opinons on women! I do like his programmes, though.

numberplease Sun 03-Jun-12 16:51:14

I really like Nicholas Parsons, first remember him as the straight man for comedian Arthur Haynes (up to me neck in muck and bullets!)

Greatnan Sun 03-Jun-12 14:48:21

It has been going for 45 years and he has not missed a single programme.

JessM Sun 03-Jun-12 13:35:53

gosh, how long has Just a Minute been going? has he exceeded record set by people like Roy Plomley and Alistair Cook?

Jacey Sun 03-Jun-12 12:40:39

Yes ...the BBC recently ??? did a televised series of 'Just a minute' ...he looked frail but voice was strong and mind was very alert.

Greatnan Sun 03-Jun-12 12:36:34

He was born in October, 1923, so he is coming up for 89. Still as sharp and funny as ever.

Jacey Sun 03-Jun-12 12:27:46

Isn't he in his 80s?? confused

Greatnan Sun 03-Jun-12 12:23:53

Nicholas sounds as if he has a really bad cold on Just a Minute (on now). At his age, I hope he is taking proper care of himself. I will miss him when he eventually has to retire.