They seem to vary from area to area - but a brilliant concept, even if the name might be a bit offputting.
What's next for Meghan and Harry?
You and Yours to be cut from BBC radio 4 schedule
Sign up to Gransnet Daily
Our free daily newsletter full of hot threads, competitions and discounts
Subscribe
They seem to vary from area to area - but a brilliant concept, even if the name might be a bit offputting.
Good luck Green! As for problems - you should hear us lot sometimes. Our writers' Group can become a round table of problems shared!
Your group sounds very good, Joan. I hope my local one offers as much as yours. I go for the first time a week on Thursday, and one of my friends also fancies finding out what it's like. She leads quite a lonely life and has had quite serious personal problems to overcome, so it may be a 'lifesaver' for her! I'll keep you all posted! 
I love our local U3A. Actually I'm second generation as Mum went to U3A to try to learn French about 30 years ago.
I'm in a group called 'Writers in the library', Our local council give us loads of free stuff, and the library lets us use a study room free. Other meetings are in the Humanities Centre, once again, accommodation is free. I'm also in the Performance Group, and we use the auditorium in the Humanities Centre. Our membership fee is A$30 a year - about 15 pounds, and we can do as many courses as we want. We are a range of abilities and knowledge and there is no criticism if you find anything hard.
U3A keeps me sane, and has given me lots of new friends.
Atta girl! 
I might be just what they've been waiting for, Jacey....
You may be surprised greenmossgiel ...I just joined one group to start with. Then when I felt comfortable with that, I joined another. 
! That's the sort of thing I was meaning, susiecb and yogagran! I had a look at the local group's photographs, and I know I shouldn't make a judgement on that alone, but....
they did look a bit grim! I'll give it a go though! 
I tried a local U3A group a year or so ago and gave up. I found them a rather "cliquey" group but I'm sure that groups must vary as so many of you have good things to say about them

I went to a couple of U3A meetings in Richmond North Yorkire- it felt like a living death! Here in Melton Mowbray my DH went to a few and it was dominated by by retired teachers bossing every one around - he left!
I like the sound of that, eGJ - especially at the Modern European History meeting! 
I think I'm more concerned about it not being my type of thing, eg. finding myself out of my depth, or finding myself with people who are very, very clever and well versed in all sorts of things that I have no idea about! 
Do give it a go green The meetings vary SO much; I've really enjoyed the companionable "Needlework" group and we don't just sit and do our knitting/ embroidering/ crochet, but go on outings too to see what other groups have done e.g. Abergavenny's Millenuim Tapestry.. Local History has been good, but Modern European History was just me and the Group Leader in a small room with two parrots! Hope you find some good groups to dip your toe into and then get hooked in! 
Thanks, Jacey. I know that they use a venue for some of the things but whether this is only occasionally, I'm not sure. I'll give it a try, because I would like to listen to some of the speakers that they may have there. It's the 'effort to become involved', that might by my problem, though! I'll go to the first couple of meetings anyway, to see how it goes! 
Yes greenmossgiel some of our groups hire somewhere to meet, others are in the group leader's home, others rotate around the member's of the groups homes. Like you, I'm not in the position to host a meeting ...am about to join a new group that will take the form of meeting in member's homes ...at the first meeting I shall explain that I can't host any group meetings and see what happens ...I don't know if that will be ok or whether it will prevent me from joining that group.
But the speakers at the monthly meetings have been very interesting and I
enjoy going to the four groups that I currently belong ...I've been a member for less than a year. It took a huge effort to get involved ...but I'm glad that I did. 
The first meeting is in mid-June, so I'll see how it goes! I'd like to give it a try - especially the creative writing group. One of my other friends and I used to attend a similar group that was run by the WEA, but it's venue became unavailable, so it had to finish. Thanks for your comments! 
My house is tiny too, but we have managed about 7 in my front room! Mostly we meet in my co-organiser's house which is much bigger. But as the group is getting bigger, we are now looking to hire a room for meetings. There wouldn't be any obligation on you to host a meeting, green. Perhaps you could arrange to provide the biscuits instead of the venue sometimes! I'm sure you will find the members more than accommodating.
I've had a look at the website and there's a group in the nearest small town. I contacted the relevant person and she said that I could attend twice before I made up my mind. When I looked at the site, though, I noticed that many of the groups seemed to meet in each others' homes. I don't know if that's what I'd want, though. Is this what's expected of members? My house is absolutely tiny!
Ours has been running for about 15 months and already has almost 400 members. We have so many groups that there's something for everyone. I help to run the creative writing group and also join in theatre outings to Manchester. We have monthly meetings with a variety of speakers on all sorts of subjects. We are soon having a Jubilee meeting at which several groups are giving some kind of performance, relating to the occasion. So, green, if your local group is anything like ours, you should have no trouble finding something to interest you.
It will vary a lot green between areas because each U3A is a separate charitable trust, under the umbrella of the third age trust.
Some are small and local with relatively few members (low 100s). Others are huge with 1000s. I have on my table the programme for the Cambridge U3A which is obviously enormous, very busy and active. It was the first one to start in UK. Joining fees also vary and some U3as have a payment for each group you participate in. Have a look at your local website.
I've noticed that one or two Gransnetters have mentioned that they belong to the University of the Third Age. I've been considering joining my local group, but am wondering if this is for me. Can anyone enlighten me as to what I can expect?
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.