Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Carers petition look recommended

(4 Posts)
Pumpkinpie Sun 20-Sept-26 13:45:22

I’m a carer in my 60s for our daughter. I’ve just seen a petition arguing that carers allowance should continue after you retire. I hadn’t realised it would stop ! I had to give up my career to care for, my daughters needs are profound and life long yet at 67 her needs and my support are invisible…….
What do you think ?
If you agree this is wrong please consider signing the petition- I saw it on instagram

Pumpkinpie Sun 20-Sept-26 13:48:56

This it the petition link about supporting carers

AlexQi Sat 26-Sept-26 14:51:12

I'll sign. I run a small company that makes home sensors for older people, and the main thing I've learned from talking to families is how invisible caring is. It happens at 3am, between shifts, while juggling kids of your own, and most of the outside world never sees it. Carers I've spoken to often say they don't want pity, just recognition that the work is real and the cost is real. A petition like this puts a name and a voice to it. Thank you for raising it here, Pumpkinpie, and for everything you do for your daughter.

MT62 Sat 26-Sept-26 14:56:18

Signed 👍🏻