Franbern
Haven't times changed? Back in the 70's I was a foster parent with two local authorities. Specialised in under-5's and also had several pre-adoptive new-borns. Two of these stayed with me, one forever, the other one until his teens.
Back then, we received very small amount of money, just meant to cover extra costs of food. I can remember a sum of £4.50 a week for a baby.
Great times, we were part of the social group with other foster parents, had meet-ups, and training was arranged. Extra costs, could be applied for (not always granted). When one baby needed to go into a bed from a cot, they provided the bed, but not the bedding.
We all did it out of love of children, did not even get our NIS paid, which years later affected my Pension.
I did the same in the 70s but always had babies who were to be adopted . I got them at a week old and at 6 weeks old the mother could then by law sign away the child . It never was only 6 weeks and lasted quite a bit longer. I had one of my own still in nappies but did it to give these babies a good start in life the alternative being the orphange . I got very little for doing it from the local authority .



