A poignant reminder of a tragic day. I remember the shock of reading about it in the paper. I was in Y8 at the time and the death and suffering of all those children touched me greatly.
Yes, I remember it very well. I was 9 years old and I remember my mother crying as we watched the news unfold on the television. I also vividly remember her anger and using words like "senseless" and "preventable". Everyone should learn about Aberfan.
It was a very sad time. I was pleased to learn that The Queen visited several times and kept contact with families.
I was working in London where there were several collections to help families but of course nothing could/can replace their lost. My thoughts go to them.
I was 18 and working in London. I saw the news reported on the newspaper stands along The Strand, shocking. A tragedy and one that will never be forgotten.
Quote MissInterpreted Mon 21-Oct-24 11:06:18 Anniebach Every year for some years, flowers are laid 21st October in Aberfan from Gransnet , thank you I didn't know that. That's a lovely gesture. Thanks for letting us know.
When I joined Grannet there was a thread like this, I asked if those posting would like me to include them when I laid flowers every year, I had permission from the moderators too.
I was 12 when Aberfan happened, I heard at lunchtime at school, someone must have told us about it, maybe someone who went home for lunch. My mum is from the valleys so she and my grandad felt it badly, all those beautiful children.
Every year for some years, flowers are laid 21st October in Aberfan from Gransnet , thank you
I didn’t know that either. I’m so pleased this is done in our name. Thank you for telling us Anniebach. I was thirteen years old when this happened and I remember it well.
I was 8 at the time and living in Wales, quite near a mountain, although not a slag heap, but at the time I didn't know the difference, I often wondered if our mountain would move. I also remember one of my school friends saying her dad had gone to help. It stays with you for the rest of your life.
Our daughter was 6 months old at the time, and I remember thinking that I would always remember the disaster, as our son was 1 month old when JFK was assassinated and thought there couldn't possibly be any other dreadful happenings. Such sad times.
Thank you Anniebach, I always think of you on this day. I was 17 and remember watching the news on tv with my parents. It was one of those memories that stay with you of a tragedy that should not have happened
There were more casualties to follow, a mother who took her own life, the grandfather who became an alcoholic, the fathers and grandfathers who worked in the colliery so had dug out the slag which built the tips , tip 7 which came down that day
My partners mum was from Aberfan, she was past school age when this happened but knew some of the families. Some of her family were miners. His cousin still lives in the village.