Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would you do if this was your cat?

(78 Posts)
Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 24-Oct-26 15:15:15

Our cat Milo is 16 years old and going downhill fast. Just in the last two or three weeks his fur has started falling out and he's off his food. We took him to the Vet this week who took some blood and got the nurse to trim some of his matted fur. We were shocked when they brought him back to the waiting room with one side of his fur gone. They said they would have to sedate him to trim more.

Yesterday the Vet telephoned us with his test results. He has any number of ailments including problems with his white blood cells, anaemia and possibly cancer. She said she wouldn't recommend treatment because of his age. Rather she would prescribe something to keep him comfortable - palliative care. However, she suggested a scan to confirm the various ailments.

This morning we rang the Vet to make an appointment for Milo's scan. We asked if he would need more fur being shaved off - Yes! He would also need to be sedated. Well, we made the appointment but are having second thoughts.

Milo is obviously on his last legs. Each day he is quieter than the last and spends most of his time sleeping.

What would you do? OH thinks we should cancel the scan and simply let Milo fade away. But I don't know if he's in pain. We need to make a decision by Monday.

25Avalon Mon 26-Oct-26 14:16:08

The vet has not suggested to put him to sleep but to have palliative care at home. Personally that is what I would go for. You can love and cossett him. He may pass quietly or you will have to consider pts, at home, if his condition warrants it.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 26-Oct-26 14:35:37

We spoke to the surgery today and cancelled the scan appointment. We told them that we will not be taking Milo to the Vet again unless we take him to be pts. At the moment he is eating very little but was tempted by a couple of prawns today. We are keeping a very close eye on Milo and should know when he’s had enough.

Thank you again for all your comments and advice.

JaneJudge Mon 26-Oct-26 14:55:39

I've only just seen this but I'd do the same as you Lots of love flowers

Bikergrandma Mon 26-Oct-26 15:53:16

As a cat owner, and also as the daughter of a veterinarian, please just let him go. Either nurse him at home, keeping him warm, offering him food and drink, and cuddling him or letting him alone, whichever he likes, or steel yourself and take him for euthanasia. It's awful and sad, but probably kindest.

CarrotTop Mon 26-Oct-26 15:56:37

It's a dilemma which everyone who has a cherished animal will probably need to face at some stage. It's a decision only you can make, but I would urge you to think about it from the cat's point of view.

Nurseundercover Mon 26-Oct-26 15:59:49

The fact that Milo is not tending to his coat and now has no appetite and no longer eating, I assume no water being taken either. All this indicates that he has began the dying process. For that reason may I suggest that you enable him to die pain free and with dignity by doing the kindest thing of pts. I know this is heartbreakingly painful for you, but your love for Milo will give you the strength. Sending you a huge hug (flowers)

sazz1 Mon 26-Oct-26 17:11:28

I had to make this decision for my rescued dog. At 14 he passed out in the park but came round OK after a few minutes. Vet diagnosed a serious heart condition and prescribed medication and no more walks out of the house. At 17 the passing out had increased then he started coming round yelping in pain and I had to pts. Broke my heart he was the love of my life and always there for me at a very difficult time in my life.
But hearing him yelping in pain I knew what I had to do. OP you will know when or if the time has come.

CazB Mon 26-Oct-26 17:21:32

I know from experience how very hard this is, but I have to say if he were my cat I would have him put to sleep. It is the kindest thing you can do for him now, and any further tests, pills etc are only prolonging the misery for him. At 16 he has had a long and happy life. Sending warmest thoughts and sympathy to you.

grannyro Mon 26-Oct-26 17:24:20

I have had many cats over the years and you always know when they are "fading". I mwould personally have him put to sleep now as all the fur cutting and scans etc would only be stressful. He has had a good life.

Betony Mon 26-Oct-26 17:30:00

'I think I'd let him go gently with max painkillers, at home, where you can cuddle him'.
SO sorry to hear of the situation.
Wyllow 3's comment is absolutely right IMO. We have had a lot of cats over the years (I volunteer for an animal charity), and this is one of the saddest decisions. In my experience letting them go at home, no matter how long it takes, is the best thing. Your cat will not have to be put in the carrier and go through procedures he finds uncomfortable and might not need at this late stage. He can slip away in his own time, knowing he is safe. Should he seem distressed or in pain, it's another matter and euthanasia in your arms, having done it myself so often, is the perfect solution to that. My thoughts are with you and yours and your dear feline companion.

icanhandthemback Mon 26-Oct-26 17:32:18

I wouldn't let a cat suffer so when the moment was right, I'd euthanise. We can't explain why we are doing the various treatments to animals so I treat lightly anyway but after a long and beautiful life, it seems mean to try to extend it where there is discomfort. We usually do that for our benefit rather than the animals.

Carenza123 Mon 26-Oct-26 17:45:29

I would not put your elderly car through any more trauma! I believe in quality of life for pets. I have a dilemma with our little corgi type dog who is 13 years old. He has a little cancerous growth on his back leg. The vet suggested he be sedated so scans could be taken to see if the cancer has spread. I don’t want him to have anaesthetic as this is bad for animals anyway, especially older dogs. He also has an ulcerated tooth which affects his nose and is infected. I am asking for a second opinion with another vet, as my normal vet suggested having 5 teeth out under anaesthetic, at a cost of £1,350. It’s not about the money - it’s about the trauma our dog would be put through, but if the second opinion states the teeth have to be extracted, then so be it.

TattyBluebell Mon 26-Oct-26 18:10:48

I've had lots of cats over the years. I personally wouldn't agree to having the scan. I don't see the point in confirming results you already have!
I would go for palliative care but only if the cat is doing ok and pain free at the moment. If he is suffering now, then the kindest thing, I'm afraid, is to kindly have him put to sleep. You know your own cat. Its a shame to say but cats very rarely pass away quietly at home and they suffer in the meantime.
I sincerely wish you all the best.
xxxx

Desdemona Mon 26-Oct-26 18:12:09

I am so sad for you.

Went through similar with my 18 year old cat who was diagnosed with an oral cancer. She was still a perfectly happy cat and eating extremely well despite the circumstances. The vet prescribed painkillers and let us make the decision about what to do next, they said surgery probably wouldn't have a good outcome.

She went on for a good few months after the diagnosis, still happy and eating, but every day was agonising - thinking whether it was the day I should ring the vet to arrange euthanasia (I didn't want her to pass away at home, I wouldn't have dealt with it at all well.)

One day, I noticed her eye, which had been running a bit due to the cancer, was closing up. Even though she was pain free I phoned the vet that day and arranged for euthanasia the following day. The next day was sunny and she sat outside in the sun with me and I let her have as much food as she liked - she loved it! In the afternoon we said goodbye.

I still wonder if I should have made the decision earlier...or whether she could have had a few more days...a week or 2?

I feel your pain and I send you lots of love xxxx

janipans Mon 26-Oct-26 18:39:50

Our cat had an enlarged heart. We spent £5k on an operation and hundreds of pounds on medication, but there still came a point where we couldnt keep 2nd guessing as to how much she was suffering. Cats can't tell you and vets will not usually say what they would do if it was their cat.
From what you describe it sounds as though your vet is trying to tell you what I think you already know.
It's a horrible decision, but surely it is better to let her go a little early with dignity than a little late and risking either an emergency dash to the vet, or her dying in pain. You can still hold and cuddle her as she goes, the vet will give her a sedative beforehand
I feel so sorry for you.

ordinarygirl Mon 26-Oct-26 19:20:54

Whilst cats may live longer than 16 , I think Milo is giving you signals that he has had enough. There are some vets that will come into your home and allow you time to say goodbye. I would google what is available in your area.

Emelie321 Mon 26-Oct-26 20:19:00

We have had many beloved cats over the years.
The worst decision we ever made was to try everything our vet suggested to keep one of them alive for as long as possible following a cancer diagnosis.
All that did was give him an extra 3 months of misery.
The next time one of our cats was seriously ill with no hope of regaining any quality of life, we arranged for euthanasia at the vets. We were able to hold and cuddle him in a quiet and pleasant environment; and saw him relaxed and happy before he slipped away.A much better way to go.

Mojack26 Mon 26-Oct-26 21:49:27

Horrible decision but given Milo's age personally palliative care or.....It's horrible as I had a decision like that with my dog Max.. You know best what's right for Milo. He's 16 and is he going to get better ? Big hugs🩵❤️😽

2507C0 Mon 26-Oct-26 21:51:21

I am so sorry 😥

Bestgrammaever Mon 26-Oct-26 22:00:03

On August 17 I took my dear Daisy into our local shelter who offers a rainbow bridge. I cared for her for 2 months with palliative care. She had no quality of life those two months. I made sure she was pain free. But she slept the time away. She used the litter box but did not clean herself so I had to bathe her two or three times a day. I would not do that again.

Maremia Tue 27-Oct-26 07:46:09

Sort of on topic.
A Poster whose name I don't recognise, who has not commented on this Thread has just sent me a pm, quoting my post.
Is this a new 'trend'?

Calendargirl Tue 27-Oct-26 08:09:18

Maremia

If the poster was ‘Craighorner’, then yes, I’ve had one too, also relating to this thread

Suspect others will have received the same.

Sadgrandma Tue 27-Oct-26 08:12:44

Yes me too. I have reported it.

shysal Tue 27-Oct-26 08:41:54

Me too, blocked it.

Aveline Tue 27-Oct-26 08:57:22

And me. Blocked!