Just wondering if this is a common problem for older ladies and whether there is anything that can be done to improve ?
Gransnet forums
Ask a gran
Dowagers Hump
(23 Posts)My mother suffered from this. Need to try to stop the vertebrae from collapsing as you age. I think the best you can do is ask for a bone density scan and make sure you have enough calcium in your diet. consider some weight bearing exercise if appropriate.
Exercises.
I asked my physio about this last year and she gave me three exercises that are in this article:
www.yorkvillesportsmed.com/blog/the-6-best-stretches-exercises-to-correct-dowagers-hump
My mother, aunt and grandfather all had this, linked to osteoporosis. I was aware of family history, and have taken as many preventative steps as I can. At 75, I've avoided it so far, but may yet succumb, as genetics are hard to avoid!
NotSpaghetti
Exercises.
I asked my physio about this last year and she gave me three exercises that are in this article:
www.yorkvillesportsmed.com/blog/the-6-best-stretches-exercises-to-correct-dowagers-hump
Thanks. I’ve developed one but along with doing exercises for my knee and hands I’m a bit overwhelmed with exercises I need to do. I need to narrow it down to just three.
I’m interested in this thread as my mother and aunt both had dowager’s humps. I’m 79 and don’t have any signs of one but my question is, How do you know when one is starting? What does it feel/look like?
I sometimes use a stick when walking long distances or on uneven ground and this makes me lean forward which I normally try and avoid but falling over would be worse.
I like to think I have a good diet in terms of calcium. I’d love to know if there’s anything more I should be doing and what to look out for.
Thanks for the link BTW.
I don't have one (as yet) but am determined to try not to.
The door/wall exercises are brief and easy to fit in.
I don't think it helps using my mobile for Gransnet as it makes me slumpy!
😱
I am guessing you do not see as many ladies these days with this as years ago many people did not manage to get enough calcium. Think about the number of people with bad teeth etc. Anyway of course there are also bone scanning and more understanding of the condition so hopefully you will be ok but worth checking what is happening to your body
lol 😂 I’ve replied to this message and lost it three times .
My point was sticks often are too low. Making you fold and become top head heavy. stand straight and then extend your stick to that height so you have nearly a right angle in the crook of your arm . Some conventional sticks are too short . You shouldn’t lean on them but put weight through them .
Trespass and similar out outdoor shops plus Amazon do hiking sticks some with straight up handles some with l shaped handles . They are sprung too so they stop the jarring .
They are telescopic and fold very small .
You will see the older stroller in the pic is very low . But the newer one is taller . Still goes in the car ok.
A dowager's hump is often due to osteoporosis. The vertebrae can become so brittle that they literally break from the weight of other vertebrae and the skull. This usually results in the vertebrae becoming crushed; it's termed a compression fracture.
Merlotgtan. Try using a walking pole instead of a stick You can hold it higher up and use lightly unless needed Gives you a bit of stability without leaning on it
Yes thrust your bent elbows back twice a day 20 times
health.clevelandclinic.org/how-you-can-fix-a-dowagers-hump-prevention-tips
sit up staight for one thing
My mother had a very pronounced Dowager's hump and lost three inches in height.
I was diagnosed with severe osteoporosis in my early thirties. (I had the hip of an eighty year old woman.) It was partly hereditary, but also due to high doses of steroids.
The female line in my family, all suffer from osteoporosis.
I have two vertebraic fractures, held together with bone cement.
Years of Alendronic acid and laterally infusions have helped to minimise a hump. However, I do have a slight curve in my spine.
Graunty7
lol 😂 I’ve replied to this message and lost it three times .
![]()
My point was sticks often are too low. Making you fold and become top head heavy. stand straight and then extend your stick to that height so you have nearly a right angle in the crook of your arm . Some conventional sticks are too short . You shouldn’t lean on them but put weight through them .
Trespass and similar out outdoor shops plus Amazon do hiking sticks some with straight up handles some with l shaped handles . They are sprung too so they stop the jarring .
They are telescopic and fold very small .
You will see the older stroller in the pic is very low . But the newer one is taller . Still goes in the car ok.
That’s what I thought but when I got a new adjustable walking stick just recently, it had a leaflet showing the correct height. It showed the handle of the walking stick just about at arm’s length. I lowered mine, but not that far and do seem to have less pressure in my elbow joint though I can quite see how that might make one stoop over.
My Mum had this and also had according to the hospital when she broke her ankle, bones like cotton wool. I have regular Dexa scans and take calcium. My GP said the vertebrae in the spine take on a ‘wedge’ shape when the bones become weak. I don’t believe it can be reversed only managed going forward
My walking stick was set at the right height by the OT. it also has an ergonomic handle.
I did use one of those telescopic ones, but I had it at the wrong height.
Not Spaghetti Great link. Don't have a DH but had a go at the exercises. Very relaxing and certainly helps posture.
If you have access to instagram there is a great guy on there called Posture guy he gives you loads of ideas how to correct it and stop it getting worse. The exercises are easy to do.
My 43 year old daughter has a host of birth defects including Kyphosis which is the dowager hump, it affects a lot of her upper body mobility
There are lots of exercises for dowager’s hump on YouTube.
That's not nice Janetashbolt... she's so young.
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »
