Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Yes or no?

(52 Posts)
Sikipoo Tue 11-Aug-26 18:52:24

I see an osteopath fairly regularly and his wife is the receptionist. Over a period of time my self and the receptionist have got quite chatty when I go there and she knows me immediately when I call up for appointments etc and we have a laugh.
Anyway. She is the sort of person that I would love to go for a coffee with or a drink one evening, but I feel awkward as this is a business situation and don’t want to overstep and make her feel awkward. She probably is v friendly with other patients, but I feel torn in what to do. Not often that I meet someone who I would like to be friends with. Hope this doesn’t sound weird, just needed to get an opinion.

Granless Mon 17-Aug-26 13:48:48

Really! Think again - not appropriate.

sazz1 Mon 17-Aug-26 11:05:11

No definitely not. She's good at her job making people feel at home and relaxed but that's why she's so friendly.

StoneofDestiny Sun 16-Aug-26 22:02:33

No

Juneandarchie1 Sun 16-Aug-26 21:02:31

Just no

JPB123 Sun 16-Aug-26 20:29:52

A definite no. She is doing her job,meeting patients (are they patients???) and chatting ,putting people at their ease.

GoldenAge Sun 16-Aug-26 18:38:04

Definitely No. The person is a link in a professional chain, and any overture from you in this situation would compromise both her and her husband. There's a reason why professions are regulated and part of that is to ensure business isn't mixed with pleasure.

Rocketstop2 Sun 16-Aug-26 18:21:14

For me it's a 'No', sorry.

knspol Sun 16-Aug-26 18:13:08

No! She's a professional in a position where she has to be friendly and pleasant to clients. OK she may well get on with you more than some other people she's in contact with but what if she says no, think how awkward any future visits might become. How would you feel if the positions were reversed?
I would enjoy the interactions but keep it professional for now. Maybe when your treatment is finished you might say something along the lines of how you'll miss your chats and see if there's any response re meeting up.

Duvetdiva Sun 16-Aug-26 18:12:53

Peaseblossom

I can't believe some people are so appalled by the very thought of it! Strange. If you see her in the street sometime you could mention meeting up for a coffee, but maybe, as others have said, it would be better when you have finished treatment.

Me too Peaseblossom!

inishowen Sun 16-Aug-26 18:02:58

No you'd be overstepping the mark. She's doing her job that's all.

JaneJudge Sun 16-Aug-26 17:55:30

as it's a health setting it's most probably in her contract not to meet clients outside of work

henetha Sun 16-Aug-26 17:51:44

I don't really think so...

welbeck Sun 16-Aug-26 17:48:26

Gwyllt
That sounds concerning with the GP.
In what way have they befriended her ?
Sounds completely inappropriate. As if they are up to something. Maybe trying to head off yet another complaint about poor service ??

Peaseblossom Sun 16-Aug-26 17:42:31

I can't believe some people are so appalled by the very thought of it! Strange. If you see her in the street sometime you could mention meeting up for a coffee, but maybe, as others have said, it would be better when you have finished treatment.

Doodledog Sun 16-Aug-26 17:09:06

I'm not sure what I think about this. An osteopath is not a GP, who would have access to potentially very personal and possibly tricky records, and his wife even less so.

I can't really see a problem with meeting up for coffee or an evening drink, but maybe I'm missing something.

Fradders Sun 16-Aug-26 16:59:26

Absolutely not! Very inappropriate of you! Cannot believe anyone thinks this is OK.

Duvetdiva Sun 16-Aug-26 16:55:10

You could possibly during your next banter with her say something like ‘ you remind me of a friend I used to meet for a coffee, we used to have such a laugh, but then she moved away’
Then you’re not asking her directly but giving her an opportunity to respond if she was interested.
No embarrassment or awkwardness on either side

Gwyllt Sun 16-Aug-26 16:35:47

Another no from me
It her job to be chatty. It relaxes the patient if she is friendly
Not quite the same but we have holiday cottages and I greet all our visitors like long lost friends. Many are as we have lots of regulars and many are friends of the visitors but that’s as far as it goes. The pay back is my cleaners are impressed with how they are left

In a similar fashion a friend of a friend who I know slightly has been befriended by her GP etc. she does not appear to be receiving the best treatment but feels unable to say anything and yet does not want to change her GP

Estrellita Sun 16-Aug-26 16:24:52

I wouldn’t if it were me but then I'm not as friendly as you.

welbeck Sun 16-Aug-26 16:08:36

Certainly Not.
Hard to take this seriously...

mumofmadboys Sun 16-Aug-26 15:59:13

When I was a GP a patient suggested we meet up for coffee. I think I just gave a non - committal reply. She was a lovely person but it just felt inappropriate.

Gingster Sun 16-Aug-26 15:56:23

No, it would put her in an awkward position

Warbler Sun 16-Aug-26 15:55:01

I assumed you were a man. In which case I would 100% definitely say......the answer is in the first line......his-wife-is-the-receptionist. Don't make a fool of yourself. But then I wondered if you were a woman and wanted her, genuinely, to meet up as a friend.....in which case, I would tread carefully here. I might make a very light....."fancy going for a coffee sometime?" and gauge the response, but probably at the end of my treatment, not during it. Then if you don't get on and never meet again, there wouldn't be any awkward moments. Nothing ventured.....nothing lost. If you are gay, then again, I would go back to the first line.....she is the wife of.....

BlueBelle Sun 16-Aug-26 15:35:55

Pleaseblossom that’s a very valid way of making new friends and I ve had friends that I ve just met, ad hock, bus stops, on trains etc etc, but this is quite different, poster sees this lady on a professional level in a business reception, and I would say very out of place.
If you bump into her in the street maybe, but not at her business oh nononono

wintersday Sun 16-Aug-26 15:26:54

Meeting and chatting with someone on a bus and your relationship with a Receptionist is just not the same. The nurse at our docs surgery was always very friendly and we would chat and I felt she was my friend. But you are not their friend really. I popped a xmas card to her when she retired giving my phone no. if she wanted to get in touch and she never did ring. So I would say that the Receptionist is not your "friend" and probably wouldnt want to meet you for coffee.