Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help please! Can I save my leather handbag?

(10 Posts)
nannyness Wed 13-Mar-24 21:14:14

Have stupidly got Magnesium oil splashes on it. Have asked Simpsons, but they had no advice. It is a tan colour.
Got my fingers crossed!!

dotpocka Wed 13-Mar-24 21:25:23

oil transdermal .thats what it is supposed to do .leather is skin
probally get some neats foot oil, do the bag all over,then buff it with soft nonlint fabric

LovesBach Wed 13-Mar-24 22:58:31

I had a lovely tan leather bag, which was stained when a cup of hot chocolate was knocked over. A friend suggested using a good toilet soap on the stains, wipe off and let it dry, and then use a leather nourishing cream. It worked - there was no trace of staining.

NotSpaghetti Thu 14-Mar-24 08:58:28

Have you tried saddle soap?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 14-Mar-24 09:02:29

I would try saddle soap, it works miracles on saddles and bridles which are regularly covered in all sorts of stuff

It works in leather boots really well.

JamesandJon33 Thu 14-Mar-24 09:37:10

DH has a very old artist’s bag. He always uses saddle soap to keep it in good condition.

MawsRosie Fri 25-Sept-26 15:32:12

Reported

kittylester Fri 25-Sept-26 16:00:31

Baking powder (or talc, I think) sprinkled on and left for a while. Maybe need to do it a few times. Then leather Polish.

Fallingstar Fri 25-Sept-26 16:18:47

I also recommend saddle soap, the GCs got some oily finger marks on a tan coloured Radley bag and the saddle soap worked for me.

Oreo Fri 25-Sept-26 18:45:12

2 year old thread