Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Wet quilt, anyone?

(20 Posts)
CarrotTop Wed 23-Sept-26 15:23:18

Washing my crazy quilt today (heck of a job due to so many different fabrics & threads)! It started to rain just after I took this picture, sigh. The quilt was a project aimed at protecting my sanity during a very trying (and very long) research project. Each seam is decorated with a different stitch and/or different thread (Mary Thomas, I worship you).

Witzend Wed 23-Sept-26 15:30:32

An amazing creation! (Wet or dry!) 👏👏👏

Davida1968 Wed 23-Sept-26 16:00:45

Wow, respect to you CarrotTop! (I thought I had my work cut out, just washing the summer duvets!)
I hope your quilt has remained just as lovely, after washing.

JamesandJon33 Wed 23-Sept-26 16:03:05

That is quite beautiful. Well done. I presume it is all hand sewn?
A mammoth task I know as I made a similar size one, many years ago

keepcalmandcavachon Wed 23-Sept-26 16:05:49

Thats beautiful CarrotTop, I love your colours, it'll make it's lucky bed feel very special!

Grannybags Wed 23-Sept-26 22:06:45

Wow that’s a work of art CarrotTop

It’s lovely

CarrotTop Thu 24-Sept-26 02:55:38

JamesandJon, Yes every part is hand-pieced and embroidered over. The other side is made from simple straight-edged large squares, also hand-pieced. It was very relaxing to make - I originally meant to make a cushion cover but somehow it kept growing!

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 24-Sept-26 09:15:01

It's wonderful, CarrotTop. Washing it must be quite the challenge.

poppysmum Thu 24-Sept-26 13:58:40

that is really lovely you are so talented well done
i must admit with the title i wondered if someone had had an accident; blame it on the dog!

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 14:25:38

Wow! I love this!

Grandma600 Thu 24-Sept-26 16:34:30

That is truly a thing of beauty 😍

mokryna Thu 24-Sept-26 17:00:13

Beautiful CarrotTop

crazyH Thu 24-Sept-26 17:04:38

Beautiful 👌

nahsma Thu 24-Sept-26 20:13:11

CarrotTop as a fellow quilter, I bow down to you! It's beautiful! I cannot image making a quilt of that size without resorting to the machine at some point. You're a hero!

nahsma Thu 24-Sept-26 20:14:02

Or cannot imagine!! Sorry.

lizzypopbottle Fri 25-Sept-26 09:53:09

What an amazing project. Well done!

watermeadow Fri 25-Sept-26 15:41:03

I did patchwork for years and have one quilt on my bed. It gets grubby with cats and dog sharing it with me and needs washing now and again. It’s entirely hand-sewn but is fine in the washing machine on a very gentle cool wash.

rubysong Fri 25-Sept-26 21:24:06

Well done!! I did something similar (by machine) during lockdown. When I washed it all the tiny red patches which were scattered amongst the other colours ran. I thought they had been prewashed but obviously they hadn't.

Wyllow3 Fri 25-Sept-26 21:26:11

Love it to bits! Well done you.

CarrotTop Fri 25-Sept-26 21:37:56

I washed it in the bath, in minimal water with hand-wash liquid detergent. A couple of the seams have rucked up a little bit, probably because some patches warped after the rain.
I simply cannot get the hang of using a sewing machine - they always run away with me. Guess I'm just a slow thinker. grin