I always use DMC thread too. I think you get what you pay for.
You asked if I was paid well for the hours I put in when selling a piece. The answer is no. People love the work, but clearly don’t appreciate all the hours that are put in, so don’t want to pay much. I sell them because it does pay for the threads, and I don’t want to keep them all.
You’ll laugh - my first attempt at cross stitch was a cute little Robin. Only he wasn’t cute once I stitched him, he was more like a Robin monster! My late husband, who would have cut off his arm rather than hurt me, couldn’t control his laughter, and nor could I once I got over the shock! I was ready to give up at that point but my husband persuaded me to persevere. The outcome was that, a few months later, my work was featured in several magazines including ‘Cross Stitcher’. The editor asked me to write a ‘how to’ article, and that was followed by others. I only stopped because my ‘proper’ job became more demanding when I was promoted, and I had to stop writing.
You’ll be glad to know that the magazines did pay well, so it was a nice little earner while it lasted.
Sorry, I have rambled on. You’ll be sick of me. As you’ve no doubt gathered, I talk a lot! But now I’m off for some food! Bye for now!