I notice that 'Mr Shark' has been busy resurrecting old patio cleaning threads. His posts have been reported. As the majority of us don't live near Melbourne he is wasting his time.
You and Yours to be cut from BBC radio 4 schedule
Sign up to Gransnet Daily
Our free daily newsletter full of hot threads, competitions and discounts
Subscribe
I notice that 'Mr Shark' has been busy resurrecting old patio cleaning threads. His posts have been reported. As the majority of us don't live near Melbourne he is wasting his time.
NotSpaghetti
Our next-door neighbour had their drive done and the mess in ours (and front door and wall and porch and step) was unbelievable!
It had come through a pretty thick hedge!
I had done my own drive; cleaned the pavement around the four neighbours who share this area;swept all the water to the drain.
2 days later, my neighbour had someone in to do his path. Our shared wall is a mess, as are the back of my boundary bushes and trees, but the worst is that the wall, pavement and road outside of my home is covered in a thick layer of mud which they have left me to clear up
Don’t pressure wash pats any more for that very reason
I use wet and forget. Quicker but takes longer to act
Not cheap but man with a pressure washer not cheap either
I know this has been discussed a number of times on Gransnet
I have stopped pressure washing my patio and path for this very reason - it makes too much mess.
I now pour neat cheap bleach on the flags. Leave it for 30 mins and then scrub it in with a broom. I don't bother rinsing it off and the next day the flags are lovely and clean
Thanks shysal 👍🏻
Another one here who uses Wet and Forget - I apply it in the spring. It doesn’t work instantly but once the slabs are clean they remain that way. A friend who I mentioned it to said she couldn't wait six months for it to work.
When our neighbour had their drive power washed I had to clean our garage and front doors and sweep the drive.
Thanks to all for helpful advice.
MT62
shysal
It is a messy procedure, so for this reason I switched to 'Wet and Forget' or similar, and gave away my pressure washer. I only need to apply it every 2 years. The result is not instant, but over a week or more the surface lightens. It is useful for patios, fences, or shed. This year I used a watering can with wide spray rose instead of my sprayer, and the job was done in minutes! My 25 year old patio still looks like new!
What size bottle & how much please?
Here is a selection of products. I have used 'Spray and Leave' also, I think they all do the job. Please note that some are ready to use and others are a concentrate for dilution. If you want to buy in person, most garden centres and hardware shops sell them.
Same here - my garage door (double) was filthy as was the gate and lower brickwork. When I opened the garage door, there was mess half way up the garage floor and they’d dumped the wet detritus in my garden bin!
Unfortunately, DH was in hospital with sepsis at the time and I couldn’t be bothered to complain and just paid up. It was obvious he and his granddaughter were ‘travellers’ over from Cumbria looking for business, but I did want the work done. He contacted me again to suggest more cleaning and I gave him a very firm ‘no’.
Be wary of pressure washing the car.
It can damage the paintwork.
I wouldn't have paid him at all, until he'd cleaned up the mess and washed the step as agreed.
shysal
It is a messy procedure, so for this reason I switched to 'Wet and Forget' or similar, and gave away my pressure washer. I only need to apply it every 2 years. The result is not instant, but over a week or more the surface lightens. It is useful for patios, fences, or shed. This year I used a watering can with wide spray rose instead of my sprayer, and the job was done in minutes! My 25 year old patio still looks like new!
What size bottle & how much please?
It is a messy procedure, so for this reason I switched to 'Wet and Forget' or similar, and gave away my pressure washer. I only need to apply it every 2 years. The result is not instant, but over a week or more the surface lightens. It is useful for patios, fences, or shed. This year I used a watering can with wide spray rose instead of my sprayer, and the job was done in minutes! My 25 year old patio still looks like new!
Happened to me in my last house, next door washed their walls with a pressure washer and the dirt went over my car, I knocked and said when you've finished could you run the washer over my car? Only all your much has gone over it, she wasn't happy but the bloke did it , only right
This happened to me a few years ago.
I complained ,nothing happened , I wrote off the experience.
Some battles aren’t worth fighting sadly.
Our next-door neighbour had their drive done and the mess in ours (and front door and wall and porch and step) was unbelievable!
It had come through a pretty thick hedge!
AIBU to expect the dirty water splashes to be wiped clean from back of gate etc when pressure wash completed?
Quite a high price agreed for job to be done when i was at work. Doorsteps not included and when i pointed this out he claimed "misunderstood what you wanted". He is on holiday now but i will ask him to come back to clean the doorsteps and not expect extra cash for doing so.
My main irritation is, however, with the dirty water splashes which i now need to add to my list of chores.
Would be interested to have your opinion.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.