I've volunteered in lots of different ways over the years. I come from a family of volunteers with mum and 2 sisters all very active volunteers
As a teenager i remember standing with collecting tins. This was probably the first experience.
I helped out at playschool, then in my children's primary school doing crafts and moved to being a Brownie helper.
After a move to a bigger city I helped children with English, which was their second language.
And now I help out at a local Community garden. This has been so good for me, exercise, getting out and meeting people and knowing I'm doing some good in our wee toon. The work varies over the year and you can do as much or as little as you like. We have 2 gents over 80 who both fire up the Kelly kettle for our coffee breaks but are very good with joinery and repairs .
I'm now having to cut down on the more physical side of things, so no more digging up the dandelions, more pricking out the parsley. And we sell our produce so get to meet all sort of customers. very rewarding overall.
The charity running the garden recently got office premises which was previously a shop, so I now help another volunteer do window displays. This was my first career so that has really been great to get back to.
My latest volunteering is as a helper in a local day centre for dementia sufferers. I do one day a week and love it though i go home after my 5 hours and just sit down for the rest of the day. The helpers help with drinks, prep and serving of lunches, plus assisting with games and activities.
So I would say, Cherrypops, find out what there is you can do in your area, and go and try roles out.