Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

BBC 2 Proms A Tribute Marvin Gaye

(12 Posts)
mokryna Sat 22-Aug-26 20:07:38

Broadcasting at the moment Takes me back to the early 60s dancing round my handbag in the local dancehall.

Casdon Sat 22-Aug-26 20:12:45

There’s only one thing to say mokryna. - Let’s Get It On!
(sorry about that, I couldn’t resist).

Visgir1 Sat 22-Aug-26 20:24:34

Yes... "I heard it through the Grapevine"
Watching.

kittylester Sat 22-Aug-26 21:00:12

Love it. Wish they had done Martin, Luther abd John. I love that.

kittylester Sat 22-Aug-26 21:49:35

Of course I meant 'Abraham, Martin and John'.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 22-Aug-26 22:01:43

I really enjoyed that. One to watch again I think.

mokryna Sat 22-Aug-26 22:22:37

Great memories.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 22-Aug-26 22:29:03

Someone stole my copy of Sexual Healing from the 6th form Common Room.

NanKate Sun 23-Aug-26 08:30:50

I already have a note to watch on catch up 👍

Graphite Sun 23-Aug-26 10:44:23

These were the songs I loved and bought when I was in my teens and 20s. A have all of Marvin Gaye’s albums in my vinyl collection.

50 years later and they sound just as fresh and contemporary.

An impressive group of soloists especially Luke James. An extraordinary voice and stage presence.

The L J (Lawrence Johnson) Singers were outstanding, especially on After the Dance.

Yes, one to watch again.

MollyNew Sun 23-Aug-26 10:51:18

I thought Luke James and the backing singers were excellent but I was disappointed with some of the other soloists.

Graphite Sun 23-Aug-26 11:09:27

I don’t know much about Wayne Hernandez or how old he is. His background is in the London gospel scene and he’s been recording since the 1980s so perhaps his voice is not as strong as it once was. Vula Malinga’s voice is stronger than Cherise's who is more sweet than powerful. We didn’t see much of Baely but I enjoyed his version of Sunny.


Here’s the original Bobby Hebb version:

secondhandsongs.com/performance/7281