Gransnet forums

Travel

Long haul with BA

(20 Posts)
Aveline Wed 16-Sept-26 17:00:43

It all depends

Aveline Wed 16-Sept-26 17:00:29

Flight prices vary from day to day. No point in comparing today's price with the one you paid months ago. It all drying popularity of a particular flight on a particular day at a particular time.

Cath9 Wed 16-Sept-26 16:04:13

Typing this on top of a hill where I decided to look up flight prices after paying for the flight to NZ.
Beware of these Flight organisers as I have just found out what I paid for the flight from Fial A Flight I could have gone for the same price with Premium Economy
Excuse any mistakes as I have not my reading glasses

WithNobsOnIt Tue 15-Sept-26 20:25:38

Every dog has its day.
And so has BA.

Still living in the past.

Tenko Tue 15-Sept-26 19:48:55

We flew to Antigua earlier this year with BA . We flew premium economy and they fine . We’re going to Australia next year and used flight centre for flights and some hotels . Flight centre were recommended to us by friends who live in Australia. They find the best deal for you.

Aveline Tue 15-Sept-26 18:43:58

Not my experience with Dial a Flight at all. They saved me £3k on the fare and accommodation alone. It must depend on the individual agent. Ian was terrific as was Karina the overnight emergency lady.

4allweknow Tue 15-Sept-26 17:20:46

Used BA for Mexico recently. Felt service not as good as previous flights, just a bit off hand. Paid for seat choice. Food reasonable. Wouldn't put me off using again though.

Cath9 Tue 15-Sept-26 16:26:56

My brother has confirmed BA aren’t that bad.
As what a few here mentioned, I also used dial A Flight who I will say was patient but they don’t half try and get money off you naturally the more the better for the firm. The lady kept trying to get me to buy a better seat until I was informed of the total cost.
Also, at first they couldn’t find a flight so I went on the Sky scanner website which was where I found BA was possible then New Zealand Airline for the shorter journey which Dial A Flight then looked into.

Visgir1 Tue 15-Sept-26 10:43:54

I'm flying on Sunday BA long haul to Mexico, we tend to fly either Business or Premier Economy.
Never had a problem but agree Singapore is very good, if we go in that direction of the Far East definitely Singapore Airways. Even Economy is very good vs other airlines.
Personally we advoid Emirates due to a bad experience in Melbourne, when Covid hit. We were adviced by the FCO to get home. They left passengers stranded across the world including us .

Georgesgran Tue 15-Sept-26 10:25:46

We do mostly BA to New York. Only had 2 problems in 20 years - once they actually ‘forgot’ to put DD2’s wheelchair on the flight, then a couple of Christmas’s ago our flight was cancelled, due to bad weather. We were eventually flown back on a nightmare flight with American Airlines, but had to wait 6 months to get our additional costs reimbursed by BA, which was disappointing and they’d been through our details with a fine toothed comb and crossed off the final glass of wine DD2 and I had enjoyed before our taxi to JFK!
We’ve just returned from New York with Virgin, but on a KLM flight, with slightly weird food.

David49 Tue 15-Sept-26 09:55:20

Service very average not up to Singapore standards, if it's a BA flight you might get one of their codeshare partners, it's a lottery and prices vary so much for same flight, day to day week to week.

Aveline Tue 15-Sept-26 09:41:21

My BA flight to Cape Town last month was cancelled at 20 minutes notice. My excellent travel agent Dial a Flight got me most of my money back except for my flight to and from Heathrow for my non flight to CapeTown. Why would I fly to Heathrow for a hellish time and 2 hours sleep? I'm still hoping for a refund.

Samsara1 Tue 15-Sept-26 09:39:59

I went to South Africa with BA and more recently Puglia - perfectly OK.

Esmay Tue 15-Sept-26 09:21:21

Singapore Airlines are fantastic .
British Airways are not always that great .
I've had some terrible flights with them .
I guess that it all depends on how much you spend .

TerriBull Tue 15-Sept-26 08:52:08

We flew to Buenos Aires with BA premum class, not as expensive as business class. Still plenty of leg room. I think we had the same menu as business, but couldn't use their toiletsgrin

I did go Singapore Airlines to Australia many years ago, economy but thought they were very good at the time.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Sept-26 08:43:27

Have flown long haul BA Business Class and Club Europe for short haul. Always ensure we know where our seats will be, even if it means paying slightly more to choose them.

Calendargirl Tue 15-Sept-26 08:29:10

We flew to Australia with BA last year, business class.

Didn’t realise when we booked that the seating was different to what we expected. It was an older plane, can’t remember type, and although it was comfortable enough, the ‘pods’ were not just side by side, they were one facing front and one facing back. Not how I envisaged. Don’t think we knew which type of plane when we first booked, didn’t realise what the seating was until later on.

I prefer Singapore, as the service is just better, but it was booked through a travel agent, domestic flights also and easier to do it all together.

Pittcity Tue 15-Sept-26 08:29:09

We've done many long haul BA economy flights.
One tip is to look at the seat plan for the plane. We found some at the back that were just 2 in the row meaning that we didn't have a stranger to disturb if we wanted the loo etc.
The food and drink is fine and service is excellent. You can still get a printed boarding pass and help with luggage check in if you wish.
Not as swish as Singapore, Emirates etc but easier on the pocket.

Sago Tue 15-Sept-26 08:08:52

We have just returned from Canada flying with BA.

We flew economy and booked it all through Dialaflight (they are excellent)

We were very impressed with BA.

A word of warning ipthough, we were concerned for our return flight as there was the “technical” issue with UK air traffic control.
Our insurance would not have covered us, you need a specialist insurance and of course cyber attacks are on the increase.

Cath9 Tue 15-Sept-26 07:06:22

Has anyone flown on a long haul flight with BA? If so any recommendations would be useful.
Last year I flew with Singapore Airways which is now too expensive for me. so I am having to go with BA.