Gransnet forums

Technology

Christmas cards

(42 Posts)
ExDancer Thu 18-Dec-25 10:40:38

Last year many of my friends decided not to post cards and sent a one-off greeting on their Facebook page.
I've been in hospital and not had a chance to write cards to my huge family and friends, and decided to copy this idea myself. I realise I can only do this to people who use a computer themselves and who have a Facebook account.

But HOW do I do this?
(please be kind, I'm 88 and not very clever when it comes to computers, I also have painful arthritis in my hands)

Chardy Wed 07-Oct-26 07:47:48

kittylester

Just ordered 70 Christmas cards- which will probably all be used.

I've started buying a few 2nd class stamps each time I go into town shopping. Last posting date hasn't been announced but it's being said it'll be Thursday 17th December.

I too much prefer real cards to digital ones

Greenfinch Tue 06-Oct-26 21:33:14

I think sending and receiving cards is one of the best parts of Christmas. I enjoy writing a personal message( or include a letter) in all of the ones I send.I like to decorate the room with the ones I receive. You can’t do that with online messages.

DamaskRose Tue 06-Oct-26 21:25:23

kittylester

Just ordered 70 Christmas cards- which will probably all be used.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Kittylester, me too!

kittylester Tue 06-Oct-26 21:13:31

Just ordered 70 Christmas cards- which will probably all be used.

Usserem Tue 06-Oct-26 19:17:28

I’d use WhatsApp rather than Facebook if you want the message to reach people privately. Open a chat, type your greeting, and tap the send button. You can make one family group, though sending separately feels more personal. A relative could set it up once and add contacts for you, which would also save your hands.

FranP Sun 21-Dec-25 20:51:47

I have a number of slightly irreverent images collected over the years, and for those who cannot see my Jacquie Lawson, I just send an image.

FranP Sun 21-Dec-25 20:49:33

To you all
jlcards.com/Wf5Jd0

hollysteers Sun 21-Dec-25 17:52:45

I raise my eyebrows when a family members makes her usual pronouncement on FB every year that she will be donating to charity instead of sending cards.
Make a donation to charity and send me a card you tight b***er! Our family is small enough.

I enjoy receiving and sending cards. After Christmas, I cut them up for gift tags👍🎄

sazz1 Sun 21-Dec-25 17:26:53

I actually love writing Xmas cards and it's the first thing I do towards Xmas. It's not too expensive as I put whole families cards in one large envelope ie sisters, nieces nephews children as I know they will see each other often. Don't care if I only get a few back it's not a problem.

ExDancer Sun 21-Dec-25 10:47:29

I did it!!
Thank you all.
Have a lovely 🤶Christmas 🤶 all Gransnetters

rowyn Sat 20-Dec-25 22:28:39

Yes, I admit to using Jacqui Lawson's e cards too. I feel guilty - as recipients can't put an e card on display, but as I send around 30 cards, it's just become too expensive to buy stamps.
I try to make it a bit more entertaining in the message I can add. And by the way, you don't need to use Facebook with an e card - you can send them from JL by email. Jacqui Lawson is quite simple - you can pay a small sum which lasts for a year, so can then send cards for all different occasions.

This is the message I've sent this Christmas

I’m really sorry that I’m sending less
Of seasonal cards that arrive by the post
And cutting right down my written excess
(Having done little of which I’m able to boast)
For warmth now comes first in my monthly bills
As I mutter expletives about the cost
Of paying so much to fight all the chills
That keep on arriving from Old Jack Frost
So I’ve succumbed to the aid of our digital era
To send you warm greetings to read on the screen
Hoping I’ll make you feel somewhat cheerier
Though I’ve not sent a card to add to the scene.
May you enjoy a great Holiday with family and friends
And good food and wine
That all recommend,
For
soon it will be New Years Day
Known in Scotland as Hogmanay!
Whilst analogue missives are a bit like a dream
With festive pictures to the extreme
I have to admit that the price of a stamp
Damages my enthusiasm and makes it damp.
I know my ecard cannot be displayed
Along with ‘real’ cards exquisitely made
So I’ll have to revert to that hackneyed excuse
When Senior citizens have to reduce
And promise their good wishes are really profuse!
!Happy Christmas !

JPB123 Sat 20-Dec-25 21:18:08

I love sending and receiving Christmas cards.For people living alone it’s an absolute joy.Decorating the home with cards makes you feel as if you belong .

Eddieslass Sat 20-Dec-25 19:42:41

My friends in Australia were able to open the Jacqui Lawson cards I emailed them and really appreciated them, also a friend in USA

cc Sat 20-Dec-25 18:03:31

When we had the postal strike a couple of years ago it was particularly bad in this area and our postman told us that it wasn't worth posting anything, there was more and more post simply stacking up in the sorting office as the days went by.
I used WhatsApp where I could and sent a Christmassy picture with a personal message.

cc Sat 20-Dec-25 18:00:48

I don't like e-cards either, though I do get a few. We've cut our list back somewhat over the past couple of years but I still send around 40 myself.

joyoga Sat 20-Dec-25 17:31:19

I find Jacqui L cards really useful for both Christmas and other occasions, once addresses added so quick and relatively cheap

win Sat 20-Dec-25 16:06:30

Romola

If you send Jacquie L cards via email, they can open them in Australia.
I think they're lovely and I like getting them too.

My friend and family can certainly open them in Denmark too

Romola Sat 20-Dec-25 15:29:50

If you send Jacquie L cards via email, they can open them in Australia.
I think they're lovely and I like getting them too.

Milliedog Sat 20-Dec-25 15:08:07

BlueBelle

Personal I know, but I hate to get e-cards, nothing of the person in them luckily no one on my list uses them and although the list has gone down and down through death and maybe postage I ve still got a small amount of cards on display about twentyish so far and a few more to come in but obviously nothing like the forty or fifty it used to be but nevertheless I still like looking at them

I love having Christmas cards, and although I've slimmed down the list this year, am still sending them. It costs a fortune in postage because we've lived in several different places, but if I only spend the cost of a card and a stamp on each friend each year,
it's worth it.

Nurseundercover Sat 20-Dec-25 15:07:10

I have informed all my family not to send Christmas cards to me and my DH. They are a waste of trees, money and postage costs.
I have sent Christmas text messages to friends for the last three years, just to ensure they know I am thinking of them.
Times change MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.

Glenfinnan Sat 20-Dec-25 14:58:32

Jacquie Lawson cards are excellent!!

win Sat 20-Dec-25 14:18:18

I am a huge fan of Jacquie Lawson cards too and renew two years at the time, I have had them for years and years and must have saved hundred of pounds in that time. My friends love receiving them, I make sure they don't get the same card two years running, and I likewise like receiving their comments back from them which is free to them. You can post on FB, send a personal message and on WhatsApp too, it is just so versatile. A get well card, anniversary and anything you can think of and there is a suitable card for the occasion , which will be sent and arrive in minutes. What is not to like. A bit twee, so what at least you know your family and friends are thinking of you and not had to spend at least £3 at the time.

BlueBelle Sat 20-Dec-25 14:01:02

Are you on commission Jojo 🤣🤣🤣

Jojo1950 Sat 20-Dec-25 13:49:08

Jackie Lawson Cards as I have read are still an independent company. Still doing what they do so well. 🎄

Stillness Sat 20-Dec-25 13:47:26

It’s easy. Just go to the top where it says what’s on your mind and type a message and post it. All your ‘friends’ will get it in their newsfeed ( in theory).
You can also choose a background colour if you scroll down at the start…or, if you look right, you’ll see a tiny oblong and if you click on it, it’ll take you to your photos if you’ve got any on your device, and you can select one and it’ll add it to the post.
If you do it wrong touch cancel and try again. Or you can even delete it once posted if you look for the little dots at the top of the post.