It is not your post that I reported Allsorts but an advertising one that has been removed.
Do You Have Any Strange Memories?
Sign up to Gransnet Daily
Our free daily newsletter full of hot threads, competitions and discounts
Subscribe
For fun, do you own a multitude of coats for different weathers and levels of formality, and what are the ages of your coats?
I have several, since we live in a damp climate.
Most worn: Helly Hansen lined knee length with hood, about 3 years old. Worn almost every day in winter.
Oldest: ski jacket (still used for skiing but not often), probably 20 years old.
Not worn often; more formal wool blend, black tweed, for going out. Around 10 years old. A sparkly brooch lives on its lapel.
It is not your post that I reported Allsorts but an advertising one that has been removed.
Six year old thread.
I think I must have bought more coats than I've had hot dinners and I've never found exactly the right one. I ought to have moved to the Equator decades ago, where I wouldn't even need a perishing coat!
DH, on the other hand, has owned one coat for about 35 years and loves it.
Reported
I have a. Barbour plus another shorter Fat Face one, 4 quilted very warm ones, 4 blazers, short dressy jacket, fleeces, full length coat, worn once and my new denim one. They make an outfit but i myst not under any circumstances consider another one. I am ready for any weather.
....and a very old thread.
Snap- also Reported.
Reported.....Spam
Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.
My everyday coat is a purple Mountain Warehouse mid thigh length jacket with a hood. It's showerproof got it a couple of years ago.
I have a dark purple wool mix coat for smarter events and funerals.
I also have a grey suede coat with hood and faux fur lining by Dennis Basso, I've had this one for about ten years.
Lastly, a couple of waterproof summer coats and a red jacket which looks sort of nautical.
Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.
I think georgesgran has a point, unless I’m doing a lot of walking ( in which case I’d probably wear a wax jacket in Winter) I’m usually driving and getting in and out of the car, so a fleece or short jacket is far more user friendly.
That’s why I have so many coats languishing in my wardrobe!
Unless I change where I live I’ll be using the fleeces and jackets forever and the coats will just be used for Weddings and Funerals.
I'd just love to find a dog-walking coat that is properly waterproof AND properly breathable!
I’ve a fair few, and probably should get rid of some, but hey, they’re not costing me anything for their upkeep and they do keep coming back into fashion. I might dispose of the Boden one I thought was quite stylish till a Berlin “character”, shouting comments about everyone passing by, favoured me with “here’s a lady with a very lovely smile....and a very ugly floral coat”. 
My latest is a big, waterproof and padded knee-length black monstrosity from Mountain Warehouse, ideal for Tier 3 walks and meeting up in chilly parks. I feel I’ll get plenty of use from it.
Lots of coats here!
Smart navy woollen coat bought for DH's funeral; it is a lovely coat and it doesn't upset me to wear it.
Lovely bright orange woollen coat from M&S, brightens up the dullest day.
Short tweed jacket trimmed with fur.
Cream parka bought for a cruise to Norway.
Green parka which I wear to rugby in winter. Bought the large size so I can wear lots of layers underneath.
Smart black parka, my everyday winter coat.
Assorted fleeces.
Short quilted jacket.
Bright yellow waterproof.
Two light smart cotton jackets.
Smart zip-up hoodie from Fat Face.
My goodness, that does look a lot now I've listed them!
Three puffa coats (taupe, navy and gray) all different weights.
Bright pink short puffa lightweight anorak
Brown leather 3/4 jacket, about ten years old
Three lightweight waterproof hooded jackets
Recently bought a Trespass hooded thickly lined parka in charcoal which I have fallen in love with. Lovely and warm without the weight! Too many methinks!
Loads of coats: dog walking, warm winter Donegal tweeds and wools, short boiled wool duffel and winter and summer raincoats. A lot of my very smart coats are good quality from charity shops and ebay. An Aquascutum from ebay and a beautiful Donegal tweed for £15 from a charity shop. The same one in Magees' ,Donegal for nearly 500 euros. My latest puchase- full length winter waterproof from Seasalt. It's the one I wear most as live in wet west of Northern Ireland.
Probably too many to own up to! Most of them are old - B******y Mac was bought in ‘89! Classic Aqu*****m camel coat was ‘90. Long Black coat from a half price designer sale in Harrogate in ‘96. Lots of jackets, from various retailers over the years. Useful, as I’m usually in the car and find coats very restrictive.
We live about 30 mins from the Barbour factory where there’s a seconds shop - I’ve enough of their stuff to fill a small shop!! In my defence, until DH became ill 5 years ago, we had 10 dogs so they were well worn.
I actually haven’t bought any new outerwear for years - probably have enough now to see me out!
I have to admit to owning a fair few coats although I did have a sort out this year and passed a few onto a charity shop.I’ve got a new long green quilted Barbour as a Christmas present which I can’t wait to wear when I’ve officially opened my presents. I still wear a red wool three-quarter length coat that I bought from C&A 40 years ago! Can anyone remember when sheepskin coats were the thing? I loved mine at the time, it was so warm and cosy. It’s now languishing in the loft. Doesn’t feel right to wear it any more but can’t bear to part with it either.
I like practical outdoor performance coats, and own several Branded ones from Regatta, North Face, and Nike.
My winter 'Going out' coat is a stylish Black wool coat that I have owned for a few years, originally bought from a Closing down sale, and a bargain at half price! My latest buy was Black hooded Parker with a Leopard print Fur trim and Lining, it's nice and long to cover my legs when I'm riding my Mobility scooter on a cold and set day, again bought from a Sale in the Yours brand Clothing store whilst I was on holiday last year.
A knitted tweed jacket, a pale pink formal coat, a lightweight navy mac type coat, a black bomber jacket that's quilted padded and warm with a faux fur collar, a burgundy cord short jacket from monsoon. I sold or donated about 6 other coats when we moved last year
Some lucky GNers here.
I've 3 coats that have sleeves long enough for me. Smart wool black one. Waterproof (over my bum) one with hood. Very old and battered Waterproof one (men's) with loads of pockets (I wear when walking dog or working outside).
At 6'1" I have to search everywhere to find one to fit. Aways on line. No luxury of wandering around shops, and trying armful of coats on. Thought I'd struck lucky with Landend and Seasalt with their TALL range but "no" their sleeves are not long enough.
I'm more of a cape person and own several in differing lengths and with and without furry collars
I do have a nice camel coat “for best” but a knee length puffa and a waterproof for every day. Plus various oldies for feeding the horses.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.