Gransnet forums

Site stuff

A new annoying popup

(111 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Grammaretto Fri 21-Aug-26 17:24:10

It only appears on Gransnet and I think it's advertising some kind of anti virus.
I try to delete it but it pops back and after a couple of times my half written post has vanished.
Mega annoying.
Can you help HQ?

Grammaretto Mon 24-Aug-26 11:29:31

I've lost a post 3 times this morning. I'm using my laptop now to see if its any better.

Witzend Mon 24-Aug-26 10:09:44

I’ve had the AV one a few times. Keeps telling me my phone (it’s my iPad) is infected with viruses.
I just X it.

PiscesLady Mon 24-Aug-26 09:59:42

Another one! Not seen this before, I also have problems with the screen freezing.

PiscesLady Mon 24-Aug-26 09:53:18

Forgot to add I am using an android mobile phone.

Erica23 Mon 24-Aug-26 09:51:46

I’m finding it very difficult to use Gransnet at the moment, I too have the same ad, the pages are freezing too. If I try and type the page disappears, it’s like the screen is too sensitive. Hope you can sort it asap.

PiscesLady Mon 24-Aug-26 09:51:04

This popped up while looking on the good morning thread.

Grannmarie Sun 23-Aug-26 13:28:16

Yes, that's what I've got, only on GN on my Kindle. Nuisance!

Sadgrandma Sun 23-Aug-26 12:44:29

Grammaretto

I've had it several times. Also perhaps a separate issue, the screen freezes half sentence.
I shall try writing several short posts, before the horrid red and white pop up comes 🫪

Same happening to me

Grammaretto Sun 23-Aug-26 08:39:08

This popped up just now on my Google pixel phone.
It seemed to get better for a while and I could write posts but it's back again.
I've not clicked on it apart from taking this screenshot.

AnnieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 22-Aug-26 10:17:35

Thanks for flagging this. We're looking into it from our side.

In the meantime, please don't click on the antivirus warning or download anything it suggests – just close the pop-up or browser window. Seeing one of these warnings doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with your device.

Unfortunately, rogue ads can occasionally make it through the security filters used by advertising networks. They're deliberately designed to evade detection and can sometimes behave differently depending on the device or browser they're being shown on, which can make them tricky to track down.

If you can, please send us a screenshot along with the device and browser you're using and roughly what time you saw it. That information is really useful in helping us identify and block the culprit.

Jaxjacky Sat 22-Aug-26 09:10:48

I’ve emailed admin about this.

Grandmabatty Sat 22-Aug-26 08:19:27

I've had gransnet freezing posts for a while. Just writing this one, it has frozen 8 times! The Macaphee scam one I had for the first time this morning. Thank you for reporting it Grammaretto

BlueBelle Sat 22-Aug-26 06:22:22

No I haven’t had it or got it It sounds very annoying
iPad safari

Grammaretto Sat 22-Aug-26 06:19:49

I'll report it

PiscesLady Fri 21-Aug-26 23:58:13

I've had it two or three times now. Thanks for raising the issue.

ClicketyClick Fri 21-Aug-26 23:02:53

Just had it pop up again - that makes it about the 4th time today.

JenniRen Fri 21-Aug-26 22:57:05

Oh, I thought it was just me and have spent some time this afternoon trying to get rid of it unsuccessfully.

It purports to be McAfee but it's a scam and extremely annoying. Only on Gransnet.

sukie Fri 21-Aug-26 22:27:09

I've had it too, only on GN. So glad you brought this up Grammaretto, good to know I'm not alone.

EkwaNimitee Fri 21-Aug-26 21:51:47

I’m on an iPad..looks like it’s a scam. Only happening on Gransnet…so far. Wonder if the site’s been hacked?

Greenfinch Fri 21-Aug-26 21:33:57

I have had it several times and each time I have lost my post. It is so annoying and has put me off contributing to threads.It always happens while I am writing.

Iam64 Fri 21-Aug-26 21:20:53

I’ve had Macafee and AV ( all red) pop up in recent days, scanning for virus etc. I delete
I asked Google which recommended clearing cache
I plan to explore more tomorrow. The AV is new to me but Google tells me it charges subscriptions that aren’t easy to dismiss
Very irritating

Jaxjacky Fri 21-Aug-26 20:46:11

McAfee here, highly annoying, keeps running a scan.

MT62 Fri 21-Aug-26 19:54:47

It’s just irritating. Is it a new thing?
Or if you answering a post it kind of jumps & the whole reply has disappeared 😩

Graceless Fri 21-Aug-26 19:23:46

I've just had it!

Cossy Fri 21-Aug-26 18:54:52

Fallingstar

I had a pop up a couple of weeks ago that would cover the bit of the screen when I wanted to quote a post, so I couldn’t quote anything.

Me too! Very annoying.