Gransnet forums

Pets

Insurance for senior cat.

(6 Posts)
MiniMoon Wed 07-Oct-26 12:22:22

My DD's cat has been living with us for the past 2 years. She has been paying all the vet bills and taking him for his booster has etc.
Recently she and her family moved away and they signed the cat over to us. I'm hoping someone can recommend a pet insurance company that will cover a cat aged about 15. He was a stray that DD adopted so we don't know his exact age, this is just an educated guess. Thanks.

silverlining48 Wed 07-Oct-26 15:55:22

Insurance isn’t compulsory. It was a while ago when we had our last cat but we never insured any of ours. No one we knew insured pets at that time.
At 15 insurance would be prohibitive.
Not much help I know, but if I were in your shoes I’d consider pay as you go.

Georgesgran Wed 07-Oct-26 16:05:52

That’s what I was going to say silver. Maybe put £80-100 a month away and pay as and when MiniMoon. We had numerous cats and dogs over the years, but never insured any (at one point, according to an unsolicited call from an Insurer, it was going to be about £2K a month!!!) and just paid up as and when necessary.

twiglet77 Wed 07-Oct-26 16:15:45

I wouldn’t put a senior cat through surgery or eg cancer treatment anyway, I don’t have pet insurance but keep plenty of room on a credit card for reasonable emergencies.

Some years ago my 15 year old cat was diagnosed with kidney failure and as the family were so upset, against my better judgment I agreed to a regime of injections and daily tablets, spent nearly £1000 including all the diagnostic investigations, and it bought him another four months.

I wouldn’t do it again, much as I love my pets.

Shelflife Wed 07-Oct-26 17:16:51

Would not insure a 15 year old cat. Our cat is now about 7 years old came to us as a rescue aged 12 months. We have not insured her . I will pay for treatment if necessary after a talk with the vet who we trust to to be honest with us. Our previous cat developed kidney
problems, we paid for medication but she died in her sleep one evening. My thoughts are we will pay as we go - within reason !!

MiniMoon Thu 08-Oct-26 00:19:27

Thank you for the replies everyone. I think we have decided against insurance. We are going to see the vet tomorrow and if Toby needs surgery we'll just have to pay up and look cheerful. My DD used the same vet when her little cat broke her leg. The vet let them pay for treatment in installments so if it's going to be very expensive I'll ask if he can do the same fir us.