Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Site stuff!

(10 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Sat 03-Oct-26 10:54:33

I only access Gransnet on my android mobile...
No idea where I changed it though.
Please come back if you discover.
I'll try switching to desktop briefly.

Graphite Sat 03-Oct-26 09:57:03

The default is not to have “Show 100 messages” selected so it’s an assumption (rightly or wrongly) that most people viewing the site have not selected it.

For dramatic purposes, “we have 10 pages of vitriol” is much more effective than, “we have 3 …”

In the usual inconsistent way in which this site is programmed, on my Mac in Mobile view, I don’t see the 100 messages options at all. On the Desktop site, the option appears only when the thread runs to two pages or more.

I don’t use my iPhone was Gransnet. It’s too fiddly so I haven’t looked to see what the options are there.

kittylester Sat 03-Oct-26 08:46:09

Maybe post if you find out how to do it. I can't remember. I am not on the Desktop site - is it called 'Mobile'

NotSpaghetti Sat 03-Oct-26 08:29:38

That seems best to me kitty ...now maybe I need to look where I changed it originally!
smile

kittylester Sat 03-Oct-26 08:06:22

I don't have any pages, all my threads are continuous. Much easier

MartavTaurus Sat 03-Oct-26 07:59:54

That last paragraph was a joke, btw.

MartavTaurus Sat 03-Oct-26 07:59:06

I might, or might not, have said this, I don't know.
I was unaware there are different page lengths, I've just counted 25 comments per page here.
Maybe next time, I'll just say loads of pages, but then some perfectionist might tell me off for being vague and want me to qualify/quantify my comment.

BlueBelle Sat 03-Oct-26 05:33:53

I too have it as 100 messages much easier but dot really noticed others having 10

V3ra Sat 03-Oct-26 01:19:05

You're not alone in having the pages set to 100 messages in length.
I altered it purely because I found it more convenient for me (don't ask me how though, it was a while ago).

I can't say it annoys me when people comment on how many pages of posts they are reading and it's more than mine 🤷

NotSpaghetti Fri 02-Oct-26 23:00:48

Just felt the need to mention here that not everyone has an identical page length.

I find it unreasonably annoying when people say "we have 10 pages of vitriol" on such and such (or similar).

I'd rather they said "I have 10 pages..."

My pages are longer than some - 100 comments I think as I prefer more easy scrolling. I wouldn't say "oh no we haven't, I am still on page 4" though.

I do wish people would just not refer to pages at all.

I can see that this gripe might make me a miserable old so-and-so but surely I'm not alone?