Burnham has announced that google maps is to list the various petrol outlets and the cost.
Ruler Of The World (lighthearted)
What would be the worst figure of speech if you took them literally?
Burnham has announced that google maps is to list the various petrol outlets and the cost.
There is already an App doing this, it has been available for years.
Not such a great pronouncement 🤦♀️
I use Fuel map to show which postcode offer the lowest near me
I would need to drive a long way out of my area or join Costco to get the cheapest. So Tesco, you're safe with me. Anyway all the nearest ones have pricematched by the looks of it.
I use my bus pass at every available opportunity.
It’s a good idea, as most people use Google maps as their satnav now, so they will see the best deal. I hope it will mean that the garages that are ripping people off will level their prices down to that of their competitors, but in rural areas there’s a monopoly by a few garages who peg high. I always fill up when I go down to Cardiff, last week I paid 6p a litre less than I would have locally. It really annoys me.
Here's Andy Burnham's post on his social media
I know people are worried about fuel prices. And I get it. You get to the pump, watch the numbers climb, and wonder why it's costing so much more than it used to.
The reality is that global events are pushing up costs, and families here at home are feeling the impact.
But I won't accept that there's nothing I can do to help.
That's why from today, you'll be able to see petrol and diesel prices on Google Maps, compare nearby stations and find the cheapest option before you fill up.
It's a small change, but if there's a practical way to help people keep more money in their pocket, I'll do it
I'm not convinced driving further to save money actually works with fuel.
I use Waze, I find it better than Google it has this info already.
It would probably be more effective if the government were to introduce a speed limit to conserve fuel.
It worked in the 1970s; the government was prepared to actually ration petrol, but introducing speed limits based on the most efficient speeds for fuel usage worked to conserve fuel so rationing wasn't necessary.
Though I'm not sure how many people would observe it nowadays...
Waze is owned by Google, it has more limited functionality, as it’s for drivers only. I’ve tried it, but found although it might take you the shortest route, it it takes you on weird and wonderful routes to your destination, which end up taking longer than using the main road. It’s probably better for city travellers than for rural drivers, as I’m not keen on little roads with grass in the middle, of which there are a lot round here.
OldFrill
Here's Andy Burnham's post on his social media
I know people are worried about fuel prices. And I get it. You get to the pump, watch the numbers climb, and wonder why it's costing so much more than it used to.
The reality is that global events are pushing up costs, and families here at home are feeling the impact.
But I won't accept that there's nothing I can do to help.
That's why from today, you'll be able to see petrol and diesel prices on Google Maps, compare nearby stations and find the cheapest option before you fill up.
It's a small change, but if there's a practical way to help people keep more money in their pocket, I'll do it
I'm not convinced driving further to save money actually works with fuel.
If he really wanted to help people he should reduce the fuel tax.
There is already a reduction in fuel tax in place.
• March 2022: Initial 5p per litre reduction introduced by the Conservative government.
• May 2026: Extension announced to keep the 5p cut until the end of 2026 due to Middle East conflict pressures.
• 15 June 2026: Additional reduction on red diesel implemented through year-end.
I don't think people are realising that there is a shortage of oil because of the reckless and irresponsible (and illegal) war with Iran, and it isn't going to be resolved any time soon.
I would prefer the government to say that we have to conserve fuel, not to cut the tax so that we can go on using it in the same way as before the shortage.
At least the 1974 government took a responsible view of the shortage situation...
Casdon
There is already a reduction in fuel tax in place.
• March 2022: Initial 5p per litre reduction introduced by the Conservative government.
• May 2026: Extension announced to keep the 5p cut until the end of 2026 due to Middle East conflict pressures.
• 15 June 2026: Additional reduction on red diesel implemented through year-end.
I know all that but I’m talking about NOW.
There have been fuel apps for years so this is just a meaningless gimmick on his behalf.
Who wants to drive miles further to save a few pence anyway?
Why didn’t you mention the existing reduction if you knew all that, quite an omission on your part?
I don’t think many people do drive out of their way to save a few pence, but I do think many pass a number of petrol stations on their way to and fro, and will make use of it - unless you’re a real money saver, who puts a separate app on their phone for petrol prices - I’d wager a lot less people than use Google maps as their sat nav?
The price of fuel is so high because we are paying tax on tax. There is a flat duty (52.95p per litre) and then there is 20% VAT on the whole amount!
Every time the price goes up the government make more money.
Thanks Andy for this Masterclass in saving a few pennies. 🤣
Shows how out of touch he is if he doesn’t know there are already apps and sites that compare prices. Waiting with bated breath to see what his next great life-changing idea is. 😝
Tesco are doing more to help people than him. 8p a litre off fuel when spending £60 until the end of the month.
He's going to suggest a weather app next so we don't put the heating on unless it's freezing.
OldFrill
He's going to suggest a weather app next so we don't put the heating on unless it's freezing.
🤣🤣🤣
Primrose53
Thanks Andy for this Masterclass in saving a few pennies. 🤣
Shows how out of touch he is if he doesn’t know there are already apps and sites that compare prices. Waiting with bated breath to see what his next great life-changing idea is. 😝
Tesco are doing more to help people than him. 8p a litre off fuel when spending £60 until the end of the month.
Yes, I thought there were already such apps for those who wanted to do comparisons.
I really can't be bothered for .01 of a £1 or whatever.
After my local petrol station, ny next one is 20 minutes away, on country roads, and if the difference is only a penny or two, there's no point.
I like Andy Burnham's enthusiasm for things, he seems like a bit of fresh air. However, in my opinion, he needs to stop using Keir Starmer-like soundbites, like, increase cost of fuel - "I get it, as one watches the price ticker going up at the punp." No you don't get it, silly man, you get driven around, and I doubt whether you drive from Westminster to Camden or Wandsworth in order to save 50p. No politician really really understands.
OldFrill
He's going to suggest a weather app next so we don't put the heating on unless it's freezing.
😂😂
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.