Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hostage Nation

(20 Posts)
MaizieD Wed 23-Sept-26 15:48:35

Yesterday a report was published called 'Hostage Nation'.

The key sentence in the report's summary is 'The first and most fundamental duty of a civilised state is the safety of its people' This, in the author's view means not just safety from enemies but economic security enough to be able to feed' clothe and house ones self, and one's family and to be able to have good services to look after ones health and welfare.

The report is written by Jamie Driscoll, the former Labour mayor of Newcastle/Tyneside who was not allowed to stand for re-election in 2024 and was basically chased out of the Labour Party for being too left wing. He is now in the Green Party but stresses that his report is his personal work and not a political document on behalf of the Green party.

It is quite long, very readable and with good notes (which don't have to be read) explaining his sources.

His contention is that there are ways in which all that a government would like to do to achieve 'security' could be easily financed but for years governments have been held hostage by the global market place which threatens to break us if the government doesn't conform to what suits 'the market' .

He says: This is not a think-tank essay. It is an escape plan. It is about escaping four words: w can't afford it.

It is in 5 sections;

The Trap
Why Nothing Changes
Raising the Money
Rebuilding the Nation
The Future

I, naturally, think it is rather good. It demonstrates the folly of some practices and the need to stop unthinkingly accepting that because something has been happening for years it is somehow the 'natural' thing to do.

It has nothing to do with MMT, it takes the conventional 'taxes and borrowing fund spending' route. I still like it😆

Driscoll is well acquainted with the PM, he would be as they were Northern Metro Mayors at the same time. I hope the PM reads and takes note...

I'll be non argumentatively interested in others' opinions (well, I'll try)

hostagenation.com/summary/executive-summary/

Galaxy Wed 23-Sept-26 16:46:49

I will read it maizie, I disagree with driscoll on most things but he was treated terribly by the labour party. It was the moment I realised I was mistaken about starmer.

Cossy Wed 23-Sept-26 16:56:52

I have skimmed through. What I have read thus far, I agree with and like.

I’ll read in more detail a bit later, but thank you for the link.

I’m one that definitely needs a little more “education” around how financing a country actually does or should operate.

“We cannot afford it” always seems like a complete cop out form governments and having both lived and worked through 14 years of austerity, working within the Civil Service I’ve seen first hand how that damaged services, staff, the economy.

Thanks I’ll be back grin

Cossy Wed 23-Sept-26 16:57:20

From not form

MaizieD Wed 23-Sept-26 17:40:50

I am grateful to both of you for giving it a go.

petra Wed 23-Sept-26 18:02:48

I know you have seen this documentary MaizieD but there might be others who would like to know how the system works for the wealthy.

youtu.be/150ERSe0Xzw?is=0FDLaS2esRh-gBRo

MaizieD Wed 23-Sept-26 18:31:48

petra

I know you have seen this documentary MaizieD but there might be others who would like to know how the system works for the wealthy.

youtu.be/150ERSe0Xzw?is=0FDLaS2esRh-gBRo

It's excellent. Everyone should see it. I think John Christensen has made another documentary now. I'll see if I can find it.

Annewilko Thu 24-Sept-26 17:21:46

Thank you. I look forward to reading it.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Sept-26 17:37:49

Had a quick skim whilst The Imp was doing his homework (6yr old)

Not sure there is anyone in the present government with the cajunas to buck the self imposed fiscal rules 🤦‍♀️

Sueinkent Thu 24-Sept-26 22:43:00

Thank you for the recommendation.

FranP Sat 26-Sept-26 23:21:45

The UK has a huge financial hole. A deficit that we cannot get out of unless we all pull together, get rid of our entitled attitudes that the mysterious "they" should do everything. But it starts at the top with the big corporations. Dividends and bonuses should be only after investment. No amount of differing economics is going to change that. We also need to mind our own business and stop spending on other countries' wars.
As to those, how is it helping your people running a long drawn out war to bankrupt and destroy their lives?

Maremia Sun 27-Sept-26 07:15:11

Any particular war you have in mind, FranP?

MaizieD Sun 27-Sept-26 07:57:46

Thanks for your response, FranP

Are you disagreeing with the proposals in the report and offering an alternative solution here?

The UK has a huge financial hole. A deficit that we cannot get out of unless we all pull together, get rid of our entitled attitudes that the mysterious "they" should do everything.

How do you think that should work? Does the government have any part to play?

Also, what is this ‘long drawn out war’ you refer to?

Meandrogrog Sun 27-Sept-26 08:34:06

I am also reading and learning. Thank you for posting the article.

MaizieD Tue 29-Sept-26 20:39:43

I’m bumping this as I’m anticipating lots of ‘how is he going to pay for it?’ after Burnham’s conference speech today.

This report could well provide answers.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Tue 29-Sept-26 20:54:12

Small point (until I read your link tomorrow MaizieD) to FranP which is, if we don’t support Ukraine, Russia will just eye us all up surely? Poland is a gatekeeper too. Yes it’s expensive but I don’t think we have much choice.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Sept-26 21:01:47

I think that the 10 year plan will prompt more questions than Burnham’s conference speech.

However, I do think it was a good speech pointing the way the country will be going. There is some stuff e.g. NSC which will be a big spend, but until much more detail is thrashed out, we can’t ask the necessary questions.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 29-Sept-26 21:17:55

FGT, I agree with you. USSR is led by a man who would be emboldened to expand his plans if Ukraine falls.

MaizieD Wed 30-Sept-26 07:54:58

At the moment we seem to be ‘hostage’ to those useless and economically illiterate ‘fiscal rules’ imposed by Reeves, which Burnham promises to stick to. He will achieve none of his fine conference promises if he tries to do it.

MaizieD Thu 01-Oct-26 18:04:04

Larry Elliot, former Guardian Economics Editor in today’s Guardian

Rightwing economic myths could derail Burnham’s project – to destroy them, look to Keynes

The 1980s was a decade of deindustrialisation, asset-stripping and financial deregulation that has shaped modern Britain – and not in a good way.

But listen a bit more closely to the (Burnham’s) speech and it becomes clear that Burnham is struggling to find a way to turn back the clock. For a start, he might not be given time. Energy bills are forecast to rise sharply this winter. John Healey’s first budget, in less than a month’s time, is expected to raise taxes or cut spending – taking money out of an economy that is already struggling.

There’s no question that Burnham and Healey would prefer not to be taking these actions but feel they have no choice. Burnham may well rail against 40 years of neoliberalism. He may think neoliberalism was a dud. But his government is constrained by neoliberal ideas and the language used to express them. Burnham and Healey would never use this language themselves, but that’s irrelevant. To make a real difference, they need to tackle head-on the nostrums of the past four decades. Otherwise they will be for ever in thrall to them.

Top of the list is the idea that the UK government is no different from a household. That means it should match its spending to its income as closely as possible, borrowing prudently and within tightly defined limits. Otherwise it will “max out the nation’s credit card” and risk spiralling into unsustainable debt.

This analogy has the benefit of sounding like a statement of the obvious to many voters, but is actually entirely false. There is no such thing as the nation’s credit card, and a country that prints its own currency can never “max out” or face bankruptcy in the way an individual can.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2026/oct/01/rightwing-economic-myths-andy-burnham-borrowing-markets

Worth a read.