Gransnet forums

News & politics

Canada and EU

(28 Posts)
Cossy Thu 17-Sept-26 13:35:27

Well done Canada and Mark Carney.

Not only have you been sensible enough to instigate closer links to the EU, you’ve totally hacked off Trump!!

Win/win! 🥳🥳🥳🥳

I watched part of Carney’s speech on the news just now, thought it came across well.

Smileless2012 Thu 17-Sept-26 13:39:57

He's great isn't he.

MayBee70 Thu 17-Sept-26 13:41:05

How can some Americans not compare Carney to Trump and not feel total embarrassment confused? Of course, when Carney was governor of the Bank of England he was always pro EU, but people preferred to listen to Farages advice on the economy….sad.

Cossy Thu 17-Sept-26 13:43:11

MayBee70

How can some Americans not compare Carney to Trump and not feel total embarrassment confused? Of course, when Carney was governor of the Bank of England he was always pro EU, but people preferred to listen to Farages advice on the economy….sad.

Indeed and look where that got us ☹️😢

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Sept-26 14:39:20

I think (and hope) that we are seeing the shaping of a new world order.

Maremia Thu 17-Sept-26 15:00:01

Interesting times.

Norah Thu 17-Sept-26 15:03:16

Cossy

Well done Canada and Mark Carney.

Not only have you been sensible enough to instigate closer links to the EU, you’ve totally hacked off Trump!!

Win/win! 🥳🥳🥳🥳

I watched part of Carney’s speech on the news just now, thought it came across well.

Brilliant, innit?

BlessedArt Thu 17-Sept-26 15:06:38

Well done Canada!

Cossy Thu 17-Sept-26 17:39:31

Whitewavemark2

I think (and hope) that we are seeing the shaping of a new world order.

🙏🙏🙏

Grantanow Fri 18-Sept-26 09:45:29

Brexit was a terrible error for which Farage, the Buffoon and Cameron are responsible. We could negotiate an Associate deal but Labour won't accept free movement of people because they would probably lose to Reform in northern constituencies. The Canadians have no Brexit-like history so it's relatively plain sailing for them.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Fri 18-Sept-26 09:47:58

They’re as woke as one another so colour me surprised.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Fri 18-Sept-26 09:54:58

From the Telegraph yesterday;

“Plans for Canada to join the European Union as an “associate member” have been dismissed as meaningless by diplomats in Brussels.

Ursula von der Leyen, the European Commission president, told Mark Carney, the Canadian prime minister, she wanted to open the door to the unprecedented, and as yet undefined, associate membership in a flagship speech in Strasbourg.

But the offer seemed to wrong-foot Mr Carney, who attended Ms Von der Leyen’s state of the union address.

He wants a “unique alliance” with the EU as Ottawa pivots to other partners because of the trade war triggered by Donald Trump’s 50 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

Surprised European diplomats also said they were unsure what being an “associate member” actually meant and the bloc’s capitals swiftly moved to reassert control.

“Member states know they are in the lead here. They know substance-wise it can be a trade deal-plus, as a maximum option,” one envoy told The Telegraph.

“Associate member is an empty phrase and member states will put substance into it, but it won’t be groundbreaking.”

One EU diplomat said “nobody really knows what it means”, adding there were concerns that the commission chief was “overpromising and wouldn’t be able to deliver”.

Another European diplomat called it an “unfortunate proposal, which has never been discussed with member states”.

So it does all seem chummy doesn’t it, but just fluff and nonsense. I suppose Von de Leyen has to chat about something.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 18-Sept-26 10:06:54

Well, I listened to the whole of Carney’s speech and was impressed. Can anyone seriously imagine trump doing something similar?

I’m not sure that The telegraph is a newspaper I would turn to if I wanted an honest appraisal of anything… really.

Also I am happy to be ‘woke’ in my thoughts and opinions.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sept-26 10:42:56

Well in October, parliament is going to debate re-joining the EU.

I don’t expect that motion to be passed, but I do expect it to be made clear that parliament wants closer working, perhaps customs union or single market.

At long last sanity is beginning to break out.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sept-26 10:46:55

Scaramucci (sp) sees Carney as the new leader of the free world.

I think that is over-egging the pudding a tad😄. But I do see Carney as a positive influencer.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sept-26 10:52:06

What we must do as voters is make clear that we expect our MP to attend the debate and to vote for a minimum of closer working.

Farage - he who trashed our economy - has at least £72 million to play with, so just watch how. It will be used to vote against the debate. The bill boards will be all bought up already!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sept-26 10:57:52

I apologise I can’t do links,

But this is the letter I am sending suggested by European Movement U.K.

Dear recipient's full name will go here,

I am writing as your constituent to ask you to attend the parliamentary debate on 12 October about the United Kingdom's relationship with the European Union and our economic future.

I believe, along with The European Movement, that it is time for our country to have a more ambitious conversation about Europe.

The decisions we make about Europe now will help determine what kind of economy and country we have in five, ten and twenty years' time.

The world is changing quickly.

Artificial intelligence, global trade, climate change, European security and the race for new industries and investment will shape the next decade. The United Kingdom needs to decide what role we want to play in it.

I want to see a confident United Kingdom with a stronger economy, more opportunities for young people and businesses, and a stronger voice in shaping the decisions that affect our continent.

That means we need politicians who are prepared to think beyond the next election and talk seriously about where our relationship with Europe should ultimately lead.

The debate on 12 October is an opportunity to start that conversation.

Please, as your constituent, will you attend the debate and make the case for an ambitious European future for the United Kingdom?

I would also be interested to know where you believe the United Kingdom's relationship with Europe should be in ten years' time.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Casdon Fri 18-Sept-26 11:11:51

The biggest benefit in the short term is going to be opening improved trading routes and tariffs between Canada and the EU. That will reduce dependence on Russia and the USA for raw materials, including oil. Canada needs support, as well as offering it. I wonder if this could be the first of a number of other countries aligning with the EU.

Cossy Fri 18-Sept-26 11:12:06

Ladyleftfieldlover

Well, I listened to the whole of Carney’s speech and was impressed. Can anyone seriously imagine trump doing something similar?

I’m not sure that The telegraph is a newspaper I would turn to if I wanted an honest appraisal of anything… really.

Also I am happy to be ‘woke’ in my thoughts and opinions.

👏👏👏👏👏👏

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sept-26 11:19:25

Cossy

Ladyleftfieldlover

Well, I listened to the whole of Carney’s speech and was impressed. Can anyone seriously imagine trump doing something similar?

I’m not sure that The telegraph is a newspaper I would turn to if I wanted an honest appraisal of anything… really.

Also I am happy to be ‘woke’ in my thoughts and opinions.

👏👏👏👏👏👏

Seconded

Jaxjacky Fri 18-Sept-26 11:38:04

I’m pleased with the news of Canada with the EU and the way the wind seems to be blowing 🤞

Cossy Fri 18-Sept-26 11:41:57

Well, time will tell.

winterwhite Fri 18-Sept-26 11:44:09

Seconded JaxJacky. This is positive news for both the EU and Canada

Llamedos13 Fri 18-Sept-26 13:45:37

Trump has called it a hostile act! We Canadians applaud Mark Carney for his actions,Trump has declared he wants nothing from Canada but gets mad when we look to the EU for partnership!

Maremia Fri 18-Sept-26 15:05:55

With Trump just now everything seems 'hostile'.
Possibly a symptom of his aging faculties.