Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Trump's Pointless War Still Rattling On And On And On.......

(29 Posts)
Crumbly159 Sat 15-Aug-26 23:14:21

.......wasn't he so certain he would wrap it up in a weekend,the Israelis would be grateful, everyone would forget the Jeffrey Epstein business and Gianni Infantino would shower him with even more FIFA Peace Prizes?

He gives every appearance of having forgotten what he's started or why and, oddly, the American populace don't seem to give a damn.

A very strange place.......

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 16-Aug-26 08:23:58

Indeed. Mr Trump seems to have a very short memory. It seems that he has forgotten about his " excursion".
It has become the elephant in the room for reporters, as they can be dropped from briefings if they ask the wrong questions, but the cost must be significant, in Congress, and on prices.
There is also the matter of a ship which has been left at sea for far longer than planned, because of the situation, with stories of food shortages, plumbing malfunctions, and mental health breakdowns of personnel.

Maremia Sun 16-Aug-26 08:29:10

More losing than winning.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 16-Aug-26 08:48:23

Apparently the Straits are to be declared USA territory

AGAA4 Sun 16-Aug-26 08:51:57

What has Trump achieved? The closure of the Strait of Hormuz that was free and open before this ill
thought out war.

Pippa000 Sun 16-Aug-26 11:30:27

No doubt if, and when, it eventually ends, he will claim victory, and announce it is another war he has ended. Will it be number 9 or 10? No doubt another claim to the Nobel Peace price. hmm

fancythat Sun 16-Aug-26 11:41:01

I had been wondering what was happening.
I have purposely been not watching much news.

imaround Sun 16-Aug-26 14:25:50

Maremia

More losing than winning.

grin

imaround Sun 16-Aug-26 14:27:55

Well, he declared that when he wins, the Straight will become US territory. So we can all relax about the future. /s

angry

MollyNew Sun 16-Aug-26 19:06:55

What a mess, all of the Orange One's making. He thought Iran would just roll over and do his bidding but they had other ideas. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight. This from the President who bragged about how many wars he had ended but as "crumbly159* says, the American public don't seem to care.

Fridayschild Sun 16-Aug-26 19:19:24

We were on holiday in Fort William a couple of months ago and an American tourist came over to ask about our wee dog. We got chatting and when he said he was from Florida I told him that we loved it there, we’d been over a lot, but wouldn’t go back while the orange man was in power. He looked at me blankly and didn’t know who I was talking about!
I did ask if he liked Trump and he said that he really liked what he was doing for America! I had to bite my tongue and get away quickly before I said something I shouldn’t.
Do Americans really not care what he is doing to the rest of the world?!

Cossy Sun 16-Aug-26 19:33:01

I think lots of USA citizens do care, there are some on here who abhors their own president.

Many, I would think, are very scared of speaking up publicly.

He’s a madman and he appears to sanction murder.

Cossy Sun 16-Aug-26 19:36:30

Whitewavemark2

Apparently the Straits are to be declared USA territory

Well, to be fair, the orange one can declare whatever he chooses, it doesn’t make it so!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 16-Aug-26 19:36:47

I was listening to TRIP, and apparently Trump is running out of missiles - that and the fact that this war has cost the USA billions - doesn’t bode well for the mid-terms🤞🤞🤞🤞

Cossy Sun 16-Aug-26 20:07:28

Whitewavemark2

I was listening to TRIP, and apparently Trump is running out of missiles - that and the fact that this war has cost the USA billions - doesn’t bode well for the mid-terms🤞🤞🤞🤞

We can but live in hope, but then again, Clacton and Farage!

imaround Sun 16-Aug-26 22:44:49

The man you were talking to likes what Trump has done on the US, of course he doesn't care what happens on other countries. MAGA has been led to believe that the world owes us because we have been the world's police, or something stupid like that. He most likely brags about how Trump policies harm other countries.

I wish people would all over the world would tell them to their faces that they are idiots. But I know not everyone is aggressive as I would be in that case.

Luckily, he is not the norm. Remember 2/3 of voters made choices other than Trump. We are just smarter and know our manners, so we don't make the news cycle.

imaround Wed 19-Aug-26 15:01:47

I thought I would stop by with the results of a Pennsylvania (swing state) special election yesterday.

The trend continues. 76 days to election.

newrepublic.com/post/214500/democrats-declare-victory-flip-republican-trump-district-pennsylvania

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 19-Aug-26 17:24:43

Goodness, imaround, how will his acolytes spin this to Mr Trump?
As we have learned from his posts, he prefers his reality filtered.

imaround Wed 19-Aug-26 19:02:18

I doubt they even tell him to be honest. He is trying to send 1,000 ICE agents to polls on election day to intimidate voters.

That is illegal and unconstitutional.

They are scared and many of his staff are leaving. Rats and a sinking ship, you know.

We are waiting on the Supreme Court to tell us if the post office can just not deliver our ballots. (Trump himself voted by mail for the primary this week) If they rule on his favor, it will disenfranchise every single voter in my state, and several other states. At that point we may as well settle in for a civil war.

He needs to be careful though. Lots of sailors are struggling and trying to throw themselves over the sides of their ships due the conditions, so military members and families aren't really happy with them.

Cossy Wed 19-Aug-26 19:10:14

imaround

I doubt they even tell him to be honest. He is trying to send 1,000 ICE agents to polls on election day to intimidate voters.

That is illegal and unconstitutional.

They are scared and many of his staff are leaving. Rats and a sinking ship, you know.

We are waiting on the Supreme Court to tell us if the post office can just not deliver our ballots. (Trump himself voted by mail for the primary this week) If they rule on his favor, it will disenfranchise every single voter in my state, and several other states. At that point we may as well settle in for a civil war.

He needs to be careful though. Lots of sailors are struggling and trying to throw themselves over the sides of their ships due the conditions, so military members and families aren't really happy with them.

How utterly appalling for you all.

How I feel for all of you US citizens who didn’t vote for Trump!

imaround Thu 20-Aug-26 00:45:28

There are 2 topics that seem to be bringing the 2 sides together. Data centers and Flock cameras. Probably one of the first times in a decade. Whatever it takes.

Sarnia Thu 20-Aug-26 00:58:19

Yes, it is and what an utter waste of innocent lives that has been. The Board of Peace are a sick joke but what should we have expected when the likes of Blair is given a seat.
Trump tells so many lies about how the talks are progressing whilst the Iranians deny there are any talks at all. He has absolutely no idea how to come out of this mess of his own making, without looking even more of an idiot than he already is.

imaround Sat 22-Aug-26 00:43:45

I thought I would drop this snapshot by.

www.economist.com/interactive/trump-approval-tracker

imaround Sat 22-Aug-26 00:50:23

May as well add this one. This is approval ratings from 2024 voters.

nanna8 Sat 22-Aug-26 01:49:26

All about money, isn’t it ? His money, no one else’s.