Hello Fanny. The best time to start oestrogen is when your levels start falling around the menopause. I have a tiny implant twice a year, my choice as I can lead a completely normal life 363 days a year but there are gels or patches as alternatives (never pills).
I have been saddened to get to the stage in life when my peers are now showing the worst symptoms of oestrogen deficiency because they were put off taking HRT when younger by scare stories.
I have taken friends to Hospital and Opticians appointments where it has been assumed I was the daughter. They could have been saved from their debilitating symptoms if only they had refused to go through the menopause.
There is no publicity on the long term effects of lack of oestrogen and this “taboo” is being allowed to continue. For most gransnetters this information is too late but if we tell our daughters the next generation can have a healthier old age.
I have a friend whose relationship with their spouse broke down due to her vaginal atrophy, marriages which are now loveless, others who spend as much on Panty liners or Tena products as they used to spend on periods. The rush to the toilet when we arrive or leave a venue is noticeable. Conversations about cystitis, prolapse, broken bones, joint replacement, osteoarthritis, sleep deprivation......all so easily avoidable. One friend is showing signs of Alzheimer’s, her high soya diet didn’t help there.
Sorry but it frustrates me that lack of education is resulting in my friends becoming old before they have to. Perhaps I should pop over to Mumsnet and warn them of what is to come.