Gransnet forums

House and home

Cleaning a sieve?!

(28 Posts)
eddiecat78 Fri 21-Aug-26 11:12:00

I've got tomatoes and blackberries etc which I like to puree and sieve before freezing. But cleaning the sieve afterwards takes ages. There must be an easy way!
Any ideas?

MT62 Sat 22-Aug-26 21:59:15

eddiecat78

Thanks, I'll give the dishwasher a go

Sorry Eddiecat meant to reply earlier. Casdon is correct, the filter on you D W should catch the debris. Just give a clean after with a squirt of washing up liquid & brush.

BoggledMind Sat 22-Aug-26 21:18:41

Like many others, I stick it in the dishwasher (it's metal and is fine).
If the dishwasher isn't due to go on anytime soon, I wash it under the shower with the 'power' head setting (doesn't matter if yours doesn't have that). A good blast and it comes out like new.

tavini444 Sat 22-Aug-26 17:50:17

Rinse it straight after using it so the pulp doesn’t dry into the holes. Then a stiff washing-up brush works really well, especially from both sides. If it’s dishwasher-safe, a quick rinse first and then the dishwasher saves a lot of scrubbing.

NotSpaghetti Sat 22-Aug-26 14:54:49

The OP was talking about pureed fruit, not whole fruits.

MT62 Sat 22-Aug-26 10:18:05

What about just keeping a plastic grape tub & washing your fruit in that.

Shel1951 Sat 22-Aug-26 09:41:54

Dishwasher, the small debris goes away with the water, I also clean the arms of the dishwasher regularly and put a cleaner through the washing cycle, just rinse the sieve first

MT62 Sat 22-Aug-26 09:36:22

No Eddiecat, mine is stained from washing beans & lentils.
What about soaking in soda crystals first, that may loosen the debris.

Mollygo Sat 22-Aug-26 08:04:12

shysal

I just use a washing-up brush to scrub and poke through the holes inside and outside of the sieve. A nail brush would do the job too. It takes only a few moments.
You have reminded me that there are some nearby blackberries which need picking.

I use brushes too. Clear away any major debris, then scrub. I also put it in the dishwasher to give a good clean.

NotSpaghetti Sat 22-Aug-26 07:40:24

Mine are rinsed and go into the dishwasher too.
Both metal and nylon ones.

jusnoneed Fri 21-Aug-26 18:03:33

I do the same as Elegran. Rinse it under running water straight after using it to remove debris, and then wash with the next lot of washing up in the bowl.

eddiecat78 Fri 21-Aug-26 17:44:06

Why has it taken me nearly50 years to do this?!

Davida1968 Fri 21-Aug-26 17:16:55

I agree with other GNs here, definitely put it in the dishwasher. Give it a good rinse first. If it's plastic, put it on the top rack. Simples!

Romola Fri 21-Aug-26 15:26:20

Dishwasher detergents contain enzymes which "digest" food and plant debris. It takes a bit of time, which is why the full program is quite long.
My sieves go into the dishwasher and come out clean.

Farmor15 Fri 21-Aug-26 15:05:49

I think dishwasher detergent has some magic (probably caustic) ingredients which dissolve a lot of food debris- I also find sieves are cleaned well in dishwasher!

Elegran Fri 21-Aug-26 14:45:51

Put the sieve in a bowl of water immediately after using it. Don't let the debris dry in between the wires or it gets more difficult to remove.

Elegran Fri 21-Aug-26 14:43:50

Hold the sieve under a running tap and use a nailbrush on one side of it.Turn it over and repeat on the other side. Repeat if necessary.

butterandjam Fri 21-Aug-26 14:14:43

stiff bristle brush

MayBee70 Fri 21-Aug-26 13:46:55

DollyRocker

Mine got chia and flax seeds wedged in it, I put it in the bath and used my water flosser on it!! Result!

Chia seeds! I get them in my toothbrush and have to clean it with a tiny child’s fork. And soak everything that has them in or they go all over my washing up brush or sponge! And, once dry they stick like concrete…

DollyRocker Fri 21-Aug-26 13:42:42

Mine got chia and flax seeds wedged in it, I put it in the bath and used my water flosser on it!! Result!

eddiecat78 Fri 21-Aug-26 13:18:29

Thanks, I'll give the dishwasher a go

Casdon Fri 21-Aug-26 13:13:36

eddiecat78

MT62

I stick mine in the dishwasher washer comes out like new.
No dishwasher, soak in Milton to get rid of the staining. Good rinse after obviously.

Doesn't the dishwasher get full of debris?

No, I use the dishwasher too. If there are any pips and large bits with skin they end up in the filter at the bottom, the tiny bits go down the drain, and I’ve never ended up with the sieve being clogged.

shysal Fri 21-Aug-26 12:46:58

I just use a washing-up brush to scrub and poke through the holes inside and outside of the sieve. A nail brush would do the job too. It takes only a few moments.
You have reminded me that there are some nearby blackberries which need picking.

eddiecat78 Fri 21-Aug-26 12:28:50

V3ra

Have you got a blender you could use instead? Easier to clean the blades and probably a similar texture.

I do have a blender but it doesn't get rid of the pips

eddiecat78 Fri 21-Aug-26 12:28:00

MT62

I stick mine in the dishwasher washer comes out like new.
No dishwasher, soak in Milton to get rid of the staining. Good rinse after obviously.

Doesn't the dishwasher get full of debris?

V3ra Fri 21-Aug-26 12:08:46

Have you got a blender you could use instead? Easier to clean the blades and probably a similar texture.