Gransnet forums

Health

Intensely itchy arms

(9 Posts)
Dorset Sun 11-Oct-26 14:54:19

am experiencing intense, really intense, itchy arms from my shoulder to elbow only and mostly on left arm. The itching wakes me, I seem to spend the whole night itching my arm and have caused my arm to bruise. I have tried every cream the doctor has given me. I have tried antihistamine even the stronger phenergan from the Doctor. Has anybody had this experience? I am OCD in cleanliness and my bed and pillows are all new and of good quality. I am at a loss to what this maybe.

pably15 Sun 11-Oct-26 15:01:11

Sorry to hear that, itch can be unbearable at times. are you taking any medication that might be causing it , has your GP referred you to a dermatologist?

Harris27 Sun 11-Oct-26 15:03:02

Hubby takes an antihistamine for itchiness due to his diabetes. This might help?

crazyH Sun 11-Oct-26 15:12:04

I suffer from asthma and allergies. One night for no apparent reason, the outer skin of my left ankle started to itch real bad. Fortunately I have creams of all sort in my medicine box. I used Nivea anti-itch cream - it eased a bit, but I had to resort to a steroid cream which I had got from Spain. That sorted it.
See your Doctor is my advice. Itching, eczema and asthma go together. My sweet little grandson has a similar problem. My heart aches when I see him crying and scratching his legs . I slather him with Diprobase. It helps him.
Moisture, moisture , moisture ………

MayBee70 Sun 11-Oct-26 15:21:11

Have you tried different antihistamines as some are better than others for specific problems.

Gin Sun 11-Oct-26 15:37:11

Has your doctor suggested a blood test? If topical application does not help it is possibly caused by an underlying problem This happened to me.

Charleygirl5 Sun 11-Oct-26 18:22:14

I have itchy legs caused by limphoedema. My right arm, neck to my chin and my chest have driven me crazy. Very recently. Firstly I applied cold cream and that moistened the skin and helped slightly. A couple of hours later I applied Eurax from Amazon which I apply to my legs and that definitely helped.

My neck and the top of my right arm are driving me crazy now and the neck is bright red with my scratching.. I have a telephone appointment with a GP tomorrow to start long term anti histamines.

MT62 Sun 11-Oct-26 18:31:04

Poor you. Yes I’ve suffer ever now & then, but inside my upper right arm (not arm pit). Drives me nuts.
I never thought of taking an antihistamine. I just put on a dollop of emollient during the night, which seems to ease it.

Witzend Sun 11-Oct-26 18:35:52

I get really bad itches now and then. I find that Lanacane or Eurax cream, both available either off the shelf or over the counter at Boots, work pretty well.