Gransnet forums

Health

Changing dentist

(6 Posts)
ExDancer Sat 10-Oct-26 09:33:27

I have found an NHS dentist willing to take me on. Is my present private dentist likely to impose a swinging fine or similar when I leave?
I didn't take out a financial 'plan' for my few remaining teeth so they don't have my bank details.

Jaxjacky Sat 10-Oct-26 10:02:38

I changed from private to private earlier this year, no penalties, my old dentist didn’t even know where I was going. I only moved as my existing dentist retired and parking at the location was impossible, I used to work nearby.

kittylester Sat 10-Oct-26 10:13:52

No! You don't belong to a dentist. Just cancel any appointments you have coming up.

Grammaretto Sat 10-Oct-26 10:23:09

I did this and have no regrets. Certainly no penalty.
I had to go on a waiting list and unfortunately had an emergency during that 6 months wait.
Definitely no regrets although my NHS dentist also does private work and has tempted me towards implants not on NHS.
I am very tempted.....

Humbertbear Sat 10-Oct-26 14:08:49

I fell out with my private dentist of some 30 years and simply went to another one who had been recommended and said I wanted a second opinion. I was right to leave the first one. There is no penalty for changing - it’s just like changing hairdressers.

Primrose53 Sat 10-Oct-26 17:51:52

I am registered with an NHS dentist but earlier this year my regular dentist left and his replacement was a very young, nervous dentist. He scared me to death as he couldn’t get my tooth out, he was very rough and even the nurse told him it was time to call for help. He kept trying and eventually they called another dentist in who got it out. She asked him to put stitches in my gum and he said he didn’t want to so she did that too. It was a dreadful experience.

About 6 weeks later I paid a different private dentist to do the bridge and although it cost me £1500 I could never have gone back to the other guy. I will go back to NHS for check up next time.