Gransnet forums

Health

Pneumonic Plague in Russia

(55 Posts)
fancythat Mon 05-Oct-26 09:50:59

Some people may want to read up about it.
200 have died in Russia so far?

I have seen 2 articles in Daily Mail. Not much elsewhere so far.

petra Mon 05-Oct-26 10:03:48

If, when the permafrost melts in Siberia it will expose a lot of corpses buried there who died with the plague.
Obviously not in our time.

grandMattie Mon 05-Oct-26 10:04:19

It is said that the disease originated in Russia all those centuries ago, so its reappearance is not really surprising. Just pray that it doesn’t spread. Mind you, modern antibiotics are supposed to cure it - if the doctors recognise the symptoms!

Graphite Mon 05-Oct-26 10:40:57

This is being widely reported.

28-year-old laboratory technician Darya Shipilova has died from suspected pneumonic plague. It is caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis, usually found in small mammals and their fleas.

189 other people who had contact with her are being monitored with 12 individuals sent to the Anti-Plague Institute for observation.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the plague is highly infectious and can be fatal if not treated early but it is treatable with antibiotics.

fancythat Mon 05-Oct-26 11:01:46

This is being widely reported.

No other Uk National newspaper that I could see an hour or two ago, and only a 3 min soundbite or something from the BBC at that time.
Though the whole thing may not come to much? Or it may. Who can say at this point.

Graphite Mon 05-Oct-26 11:23:46

The UK media is not the only source for international stories news stories.

Nobody is reporting that 200 people have died, not even the Daily Mail.

fancythat Mon 05-Oct-26 11:41:05

I wasnt sure about the 200 died. which was why I put a question mark.
Seems like there are 200 put into quarantine.

The UK media is not the only source for international stories news stories.
No.
But looking for that, doesnt count as "widely reported". In my book.
Most people in the Uk do not bypass the Uk newspapers and the BBC.

I dont play word games by the way.
As I think you are a newer poster.
So if you were to say again, I may not reply. If deemed word games. Just saying.

Oreo Mon 05-Oct-26 11:54:19

It’s certainly not being widely reported in the UK.
Awful, let’s hope the Russians manage this well and it doesn’t spread.

Aveline Mon 05-Oct-26 11:56:47

I'd seen this on social media

JenniRen Mon 05-Oct-26 12:03:02

It has been reported in several media outlets.

It is very dangerous, apparently, spreads from person to person and needs to be treated with antibiotics quickly or it can be fatal, as happened to the young laboratory worker.

Let's hope that Russia acts urgently and contains this.

Sago Mon 05-Oct-26 12:03:17

From Aljazeera today.

aje.news/3apt0l

AGAA4 Mon 05-Oct-26 12:11:44

The last thing we need is another pandemic so I hope Russia contain this quickly.

Oreo Mon 05-Oct-26 12:13:47

AGAA4

The last thing we need is another pandemic so I hope Russia contain this quickly.

Fingers crossed, the country has only just recovered after Covid!

Farmor15 Mon 05-Oct-26 13:17:36

I think the quote below may have referred to Graphite, who has been posting for a while, so not new. I've always found their posts to be interesting and informative.
"As I think you are a newer poster.
So if you were to say again, I may not reply. If deemed word games. Just saying."

butterandjam Mon 05-Oct-26 13:36:42

fancythat

Some people may want to read up about it.
200 have died in Russia so far?

I have seen 2 articles in Daily Mail. Not much elsewhere so far.

That is not what the DM reported.

They said, one death, and 200 in quarantine.

butterandjam Mon 05-Oct-26 14:09:06

fancythat

^This is being widely reported.^

No other Uk National newspaper that I could see an hour or two ago, and only a 3 min soundbite or something from the BBC at that time.
Though the whole thing may not come to much? Or it may. Who can say at this point.

Graphite ( who is NOT new on GN) knows how to do an internet search.

It's been reported in UK national newspapers The Guardian, Telegraph, Metro, Mirror, Express, Independent and Sun. Each one shows "how many hours ago" they reported it. Just one example

The Mirror first reported this at 17:23, 4 Oct 2026.

fancythat Mon 05-Oct-26 14:32:20

My post still stands 11.01am

And no, I wont be repeating myself.

Graphite Mon 05-Oct-26 14:38:51

fancythat As I think you are a newer poster.

Why is that even relevant? If I had joined today, calling out an inaccurate post, which your opening post is, would be just as relevant.

The validity of what someone writes isn’t determined by the length of their membership.

Thank you, Farmor15 and butterandjam.

fancythat Tue 06-Oct-26 11:32:58

A 2nd person has sadly died.

fancythat Tue 06-Oct-26 11:35:50

Exert from the DM today

"Russia insists the plague researcher died from 'unidentified pneumonia', though neighbouring countries including Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan are tightening border health controls amid reports it was the pneumonic plague.

It is feared Ms Shipilova died from the suspected Black Death bacterium – which infamously killed millions in Europe during the Middle Ages.

Now the Kremlin is scrambling to cover up the details as Russian media outlets report a second person has died at Irkutsk district hospital after allegedly contracting the plague.

Reports concerning the plague have allegedly been disappearing, including one from Russia's Channel 5 broadcaster and one nationally distributed daily newspaper, Kommersant.

Independent Russian outlet The Insider said on October 2 the federal television channel REN TV also deleted all five of its publications about the plague in the Irkutsk region.

The administration of Baikalsk, a city in the Irkutsk region, published a Telegram post on October 3 urging residents not to travel to Shelekhov."

MayBee70 Tue 06-Oct-26 11:36:46

At least we seem to know about this. China seems to have got away completely with inflicting covid on the rest of the world.

BlessedArt Tue 06-Oct-26 11:41:08

I strongly believe the news on this is being suppressed in the west intentionally. Money over lives at any cost, meanwhile I would bet my pension the governments and their insider cronies in all western nations are fully prepping and protecting themselves already.

JenniRen Tue 06-Oct-26 11:41:51

It was reported that Ms Shipilova died after accidentally breaking a test tube containing the bacterium but official Russian sources deny this.

If this is true, what are scientists in Russia doing and why?

Sago Tue 06-Oct-26 11:48:36

If Mr Burnham stopped all flights from Russia to the UK he would certainly gain my respect.

fancythat Tue 06-Oct-26 12:21:20

BlessedArt

I strongly believe the news on this is being suppressed in the west intentionally. Money over lives at any cost, meanwhile I would bet my pension the governments and their insider cronies in all western nations are fully prepping and protecting themselves already.

You could be right.

Though I know from Covid[I was reading reports from Chinese journalists trying to get the news out 2 months before anything happened in uk government], that the conservative party[Boris in particular] did not wake up to the threat of covid until about 2 months later than that.

Personally, I put that down to his and others', ineptitude.