Gransnet forums

Health

Criminal waste of NHS money

(36 Posts)
Sadgrandma Tue 15-Sept-26 10:07:29

I had a telephone consultation with a doctor from my

Sadgrandma Tue 15-Sept-26 10:14:43

Whoops, sent too early!
I had a telephone consultation with a doctor from my GP practice last week and he prescribed me an additional tablet to add to the 16 or so I already take. After I put the phone down I checked this on the NHS website only to find that it would be very likely to make another problem very much worse. I immediately messaged the surgery to ask them to cancel the prescription and received a phone call from another doctor yesterday agreeing with me but she said it couldn’t be cancelled as it had already been issued to me and that I would have to hand it back to be destroyed. What a terrible waste of resources.

Luckygirl3 Tue 15-Sept-26 10:33:41

This happens to be lots as new meds are tried. Once prescribed for you they go in the bin if unused even if the packet is still sealed.

Primrose53 Tue 15-Sept-26 10:37:41

It’s disgraceful and has been discussed many times on here. Some of these drugs cost hundreds of pounds.
It’s not just drugs it’s elastic stockings, colostomy bags, fortified vitamin drinks etc. I had to dispose of about £300 worth of these.

Luckygirl3 Tue 15-Sept-26 10:49:53

And also walking sticks and frames... they do not ask for them back round here.

Visgir1 Tue 15-Sept-26 10:51:09

In a Hospital you have a area Pharmacist who checks everyone's medication. They have very junior Doctors who can make mistakes, so they check the Med charts.

GP don't have this when they issue another meds, it shouldn't happen. This is surely a job for AI in the future. To stop contra indications of medication.

Tworedroses Tue 15-Sept-26 11:02:59

Couldn’t agree more. Absolutely shocking waste.

Casdon Tue 15-Sept-26 11:06:25

I’m not defending the error in prescription, but GP pharmacists who are now present in surgeries are the experts in medication interactions, rather than the GPs. GPs cover a vast range of patient presentations, and medicines is a very complex field too, nobody can know everything. For somebody on a complex drug regime, the GP would ideally check with the pharmacist before prescribing an additional one. The pharmacists do review the patients in this category, but not before prescriptions are issued unless specifically asked.

Astitchintime Tue 15-Sept-26 11:12:55

Our pharmacy claims that they only have to destroy medication if it has physically been taken out of the premises. I always check mine at the counter and hand back anything dispensed that I do not need on that occasion and it goes back into stock. Naturally this doesn’t happen very often as I order my own meds but a GP did once push a prescription through that was no longer required.

Oldnproud Tue 15-Sept-26 11:38:12

Wouldn't you think that by now all levels of the NHS would have all patients details 'computerized' (for want of a better word) to a level where such things would automatically be flagged up as potential problems?

Same goes for things like our medical history and test results- why are results of investigations not entered onto the computer the moment they are known, and follow-up plans added as soon as the relevant person makes the decision?
That way, everyone treating the patient, including their GP, would also have instant access to the progress /results of any referrals that they have made, rather than having to waste time and money phoning the patient to ask them for an update.

I really can't fault any of the medical professionals who I have seen recently, but its made me really aware that the recording system itself doesnt seem to be anywhere near good enough.

fancythat Tue 15-Sept-26 11:41:25

Luckygirl3

And also walking sticks and frames... they do not ask for them back round here.

Nor round here.
I was astounded.

Most people would happily and willingly give them back.

There is actually a place to do so, but not actively encouraged.

butterandjam Tue 15-Sept-26 12:22:24

Astitchintime

Our pharmacy claims that they only have to destroy medication if it has physically been taken out of the premises. I always check mine at the counter and hand back anything dispensed that I do not need on that occasion and it goes back into stock. Naturally this doesn’t happen very often as I order my own meds but a GP did once push a prescription through that was no longer required.

Astitchintime

Our pharmacy claims that they only have to destroy medication if it has physically been taken out of the premises. I always check mine at the counter and hand back anything dispensed that I do not need on that occasion and it goes back into stock.

Exactly the same at the pharmacy where all our prescriptions are dispensed. We always check inside the sealed bag before leaving, for the same reason. Very rarely there's been some minor mistake like the wrong size of support stockings.

Luckygirl3 Tue 15-Sept-26 12:35:03

My drugs get delivered so if they are wrong they have already left the premises unfortunately.

Primrose53 Tue 15-Sept-26 13:07:56

Our pharmacy will not take anything back if you have taken them out of the building.

I don’t use it but our surgery has a huge locker outside where you can collect your prescription. Wonder how you go on with that?

Fartooold Tue 15-Sept-26 13:19:28

I find it strange regarding walking frames, when DS died they recycled his wheelchair!

winterwhite Tue 15-Sept-26 13:27:07

I think Casdon has got it right. Also maybe it's one thing to be willing to give things back but perhaps another to receive equipment used by someone else, and checking everything for faults and wear and tear might be counter-productive.

Sago Tue 15-Sept-26 15:11:44

Yesterday I had lung screening over the phone.

The appointment was made 10 weeks ago for 7.00pm yesterday evening.

I had a letter regarding this appointment and two reminder calls.

I was called at 5.00pm by someone who had such a strong accent I struggled to understand him.
I told him I was expecting the call two hours later, he responded with “yer I is doing em quick today innit”.

The screening could have been done via email on my NHS app and saved a fortune.

I was not happy at the waste and will be feeding back.

Primrose53 Tue 15-Sept-26 16:43:13

Sago

Yesterday I had lung screening over the phone.

The appointment was made 10 weeks ago for 7.00pm yesterday evening.

I had a letter regarding this appointment and two reminder calls.

I was called at 5.00pm by someone who had such a strong accent I struggled to understand him.
I told him I was expecting the call two hours later, he responded with “yer I is doing em quick today innit”.

The screening could have been done via email on my NHS app and saved a fortune.

I was not happy at the waste and will be feeding back.

That made me laugh sago but it isn’t funny really is it?

Good for you for leaving feedback. I always do too.

4allweknow Tue 15-Sept-26 17:00:13

About as bad as ny GP telling me I cannot have a particular drug due to NICE system as it would damage other systems yet hospital consultant recommended the drug. Told him GP had said No. His response, oh they try to fix things, we just maintain! Back to GP not knowing what was to happen. GP livid and would not issue prescription. Also livid consultant was referring to an old x-ray, he had not requested an up to date one. This was at a National Orthopeadic Centre. I will refuse any further consultations or treatment from the particular consultant.

Dontcallmelove Tue 15-Sept-26 19:31:01

I need a medication prescribed by a hospital consultant. I’ve been told it’s not available on the NHS in its generic form but I can have it as a branded item! I can buy the generic version for around £3.50 over the counter, the branded version is £15. I’m struggling to understand the logic.

petra Tue 15-Sept-26 19:39:34

Dontcallmelove

I need a medication prescribed by a hospital consultant. I’ve been told it’s not available on the NHS in its generic form but I can have it as a branded item! I can buy the generic version for around £3.50 over the counter, the branded version is £15. I’m struggling to understand the logic.

There is no logic. It’s down to the fact that it’s not their money.

Sadgrandma Tue 15-Sept-26 19:40:15

Astitchintime
Our pharmacy claims that they only have to destroy medication if it has physically been taken out of the premises

Oh, IK, I’ll open the bag with all my meds, take it out and hand the wrongly prescribed one back. Hopefully they will then reuse it.
Thank you Astitchintime.

petra Tue 15-Sept-26 19:56:23

I appreciate that dumped wheelchairs, crutches, walking sticks all add up but when is this national scandal going to end.
Wes Streeting started the ball rolling but is Evette Cooper as passionate as Wes streeting.

mol.im/a/16111921

Gwyllt Wed 16-Sept-26 13:52:36

I think the logic behind the branded product over the generic one is within the cost of the branded medicine is the cost of research and development

DeeAitch56 Wed 16-Sept-26 14:06:09

I’m reading this as the prescription has been raised not that it had been dispensed to the original poster, that been the case the pharmacist can surely return it to stock, my understanding is it’s only it’s it’s been collected by the patient and taken off the premises that it can’t be reissued. That being the case it’s not being wasted