Hello whitewave. I've been suffering from anxiety and depression for....well, longer than I care to remember, but it's ebbed and flowed over the years so definitely not present all of that time. I was an unhappy child and teenager and only found a certain peace and fulfilment during my 30s/40s and that was despite having a child with severe health problems (including mental health). It's really during the past 10 years that I've felt myself feeling so much worse - at a time of life when I could and should be able to relax and enjoy life. Instead I find that difficult, and feel very guilty because of it: others have very challenging and difficult lives and cope far better.
However, I don't want to hi-jack your thread by making this about me! I just wanted to give a bit of background.
You wondered about Headspace and Mindfulness. I've been on a couple of Mindfulness courses and I am firmly convinced that Mindfulness is the way to go. My problem is not being able to stick to daily meditation, but I am learning to be kind to myself and not judge so much for that.
I would say that it does definitely make a difference in the long term: there's a lot of evidence showing that it does, but you do actually have to do the Mindfulness meditations as often as possible (preferably daily) and be aware of being 'in the moment' at times during the day as well. I am finally beginning to notice a tiny difference, if only being aware of my feelings and how they affect my body and how I respond to them. I don't find it at all easy to live in the present moment; it's a journey, and I'm still learning. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything more or talk about how things are with you. Good luck and 