Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Non spiky Politics

(129 Posts)
fancythat Mon 21-Sept-26 10:51:31

Please read the Gransnet Cafe rules before replying.

This is a thread for people to post freely about Politics, without judgement from other people.

I dont care if you are left leaning, right leaning, yellow or green or whatever colour.

Post whatever is on your mind. With no judgements.

About a political subject that is current, old or new.
So an ongoing thread, if people want to use it.

AGAA4 Thu 24-Sept-26 10:30:47

It seems it is proven that Russia interfered in the 2019 GE.
I don't think the government would be taking this seriously if it wasn't happening fancythat.

MaizieD Thu 24-Sept-26 10:29:29

Whitewavemark2

Pleased to see that CNN and so forth have won the case against Trump.

He is losing a lot in the courts lately.

His star is on the wane. I just hope he doesn’t get even more capricious over the next couple of years.

Unfortunately CNN has fallen into the hands of the Ellisons, billionaire Trumps supporters who have purchased its parent company, Paramount. It is feared that they will strip it of its Trump critics and turn it into a propaganda channel for Trump.

See Robert Reich here:

robertreich.substack.com/p/now-cnn

Democracy dies when the press is no longer free...

fancythat Thu 24-Sept-26 10:26:00

AGAA4

Russia have spent 1.3 billion on spreading misinformation and disinformation in the UK in order to destabilise the country.
Andy Burnham is setting up a department to tackle this. He said this is another important part of our defence.

It is important if it is happening.

Cant say I have seen it, but wouldnt know where to look for it.
And presumably a government department would have access to all sorts of means, to suss out where it comes from precisely?

MaizieD Thu 24-Sept-26 10:23:43

Assuming the country can afford to do this.

I would suggest, fancythat, that you read the Hostage Nation report which I started a thread on. It suggests, in detail, a number of ways that the country could 'afford it', could afford anything it wanted to do so long as the resources are there with which to achieve it.

I know you object to reading documents, but surely being informed about a possible solution to a perceived problem is better than glumly accepting that there is no alternative just because it is a prevailing narrative?

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 10:19:24

Oreo

My bee in the bonnet right now is how awful so many of our High Streets have become with vape shops ,Turkish barbers, nail bars and small unregulated shops that sell cigarettes laced with sawdust and rat droppings for cheap prices or drugs if you want them.Manned by, quite often, asylum seekers who also work for Deliveroo and similar. These streets are oh so depressing to walk down and they seem to be ( almost) everywhere.The only answer is for constant raids on them.

I have absolutely no issue with raids, providing there’s a good reason for them, and if found to be operating in any way illegally, then fined, and shops closed.

Immigration referrals for those working here illegally, huge fines for the employers.

I’ll wager more migrants with expired visa are working illegally than Asylum Seekers.

However, I wouldn’t tar all those places you mention with the same brush.

I use a nail bar, my husband uses a Turkish barber. Both places been close to us for many many years. My nail bar is owned and run by one very lovely family who emigrated here from Vietnam many years ago.

However I do agree re the shops and states of many of our High Streets, but it’s down to more than migrants, our shopping habits have changed enormously, lots of us shop online, rents and rates have risen dramatically and many big high street chains/department stores have closed down. ☹️☹️

JenniRen Thu 24-Sept-26 10:10:00

Whitewavemark2

At long last the government is to introduce a vocational pathway for those wanting an alternative to an academic pathway.

It is beginning with the introduction of vocational GCSEs. to be sat in 2029.

A good idea, I think, as long as the core subjects remain compulsory.
There is already a wide choice of subjects in some schools. Finding the teachers able to offer these proposed vocational subjects could be the main problem.

DaisyAnneReturns Thu 24-Sept-26 10:08:59

Whitewavemark2

I’m liking this thread😄😄

Following on from the introduction of vocational pathways, the MOD has said that it is working with the arms industry to create 40000 jobs and work placements a year for the young.

This will help towards the NEET issue and economic growth.

I have DGSs one of whom has entered the industry at degree level, and one of whom is doing a 3 year (I think) apprenticeship. Both well paid and enjoying their work (whatever it is. “Can’t tell you grandma as it is top secret😄😄).

Very pleased to hear about the introduction of more "vocational" subjects. Subjects in secondary schools teach more that their specific information. There is no reason why a vocational subject shouldn't teach learning to learn in just the same way.

JenniRen Thu 24-Sept-26 10:03:29

Not one of his better ideas, perhaps, although I never go to football matches so am not in the best position to judge.

However, I know many people take children so if this could result in violence then no.

henetha Thu 24-Sept-26 10:01:25

On BBC Breakfast this morning they were discussing Andy Burnham's idea about alcohol being available to all at football matches, on the grounds that it's unfair that some can drink and some can't. I'm not sure where the distinction lies.
But this banning of alcohol to some at matches seems to have worked in that it has reduced a lot of the previous violence.
What do others think?

AGAA4 Thu 24-Sept-26 09:48:15

Russia have spent 1.3 billion on spreading misinformation and disinformation in the UK in order to destabilise the country.
Andy Burnham is setting up a department to tackle this. He said this is another important part of our defence.

fancythat Thu 24-Sept-26 09:22:50

Whitewavemark2

I’m liking this thread😄😄

Following on from the introduction of vocational pathways, the MOD has said that it is working with the arms industry to create 40000 jobs and work placements a year for the young.

This will help towards the NEET issue and economic growth.

I have DGSs one of whom has entered the industry at degree level, and one of whom is doing a 3 year (I think) apprenticeship. Both well paid and enjoying their work (whatever it is. “Can’t tell you grandma as it is top secret😄😄).

This is probably good too.
Assuming the country can afford to do this.

fancythat Thu 24-Sept-26 09:20:52

Whitewavemark2

At long last the government is to introduce a vocational pathway for those wanting an alternative to an academic pathway.

It is beginning with the introduction of vocational GCSEs. to be sat in 2029.

Hear hear.

I gave up years ago expecting it to happen.

I havent read the details of it yet.
I presume Maths and English will still be compulsory subjects.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Sept-26 09:10:12

I’m liking this thread😄😄

Following on from the introduction of vocational pathways, the MOD has said that it is working with the arms industry to create 40000 jobs and work placements a year for the young.

This will help towards the NEET issue and economic growth.

I have DGSs one of whom has entered the industry at degree level, and one of whom is doing a 3 year (I think) apprenticeship. Both well paid and enjoying their work (whatever it is. “Can’t tell you grandma as it is top secret😄😄).

Oreo Thu 24-Sept-26 08:59:17

Andy Burnham is to look again at the Chagos Islands deal with Mauritous, also seemed to have managed to get on well with Trump at this first meeting.Phew, well done Andy!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Sept-26 08:54:26

At long last the government is to introduce a vocational pathway for those wanting an alternative to an academic pathway.

It is beginning with the introduction of vocational GCSEs. to be sat in 2029.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Sept-26 08:39:27

Pleased to read Miliband’s speech at the UN, warning of the global threat from climate warming and in particular the existential threat of El Niño on food supplies.

The US would have traditionally taken the lead on this but with their present leadership, there is little chance of leadership on anything except idiocy.

fancythat Thu 24-Sept-26 08:39:05

I hardly dare look any more what he does and is saying.

But he affects other countries, in perhaps many more ways than some countries do, so we need to know.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Sept-26 08:33:30

Pleased to see that CNN and so forth have won the case against Trump.

He is losing a lot in the courts lately.

His star is on the wane. I just hope he doesn’t get even more capricious over the next couple of years.

Oreo Thu 24-Sept-26 08:13:55

Nobody is suppressing anyone’s political views on this thread, so maybe you’re on the wrong thread.
This is for saying what you’d like to see done politically, or don’t like or your own views on any shade of politics.

DaisyAnneReturns Thu 24-Sept-26 07:05:49

Maremia

Well, we are three pages in, and no bust ups.
Are you getting answers you can work with, to your questions, fancythat?

There was "no bust up" in the Two Minutes of Hate (actually 120 minutes) in 1984. However, there was no democracy either.

I can't see how supressing other people's polical views is democratic. Isn't that exactly what modern blackshirts do?

Cossy Tue 22-Sept-26 08:18:05

I do think people sometimes forget that many MPs, across all parties, when given responsibility for a specific department or area with which they are not necessarily too familiar, are at liberty to employ “expert witnesses” as aides/advisors and do have access to a wide range of researchers and advisors in the form of senior civil servants within those departments for which MPs find themselves responsible.

There are many very professional, experienced, skilled and knowledgable senior civil servants, whatever people might think, many of whom have extensive cross-department experience.

Do the MPs and Ministers listen to them?

Mmmm that’s a whole different topic! smile

Cossy Tue 22-Sept-26 08:10:02

fancythat

Cossy - one of my friends, since being retired, sits through it all. What she gets from it, I do not know.
But at least she does know the names of many MPs.

^Oreo - Social Care to me is like the NHS.
Needs people who know a lot more about it, to wisely sort it out.
Are there the right answers to suit everyone? I dont know.

Goodness, she must have the patience of a saint! smile

fancythat Tue 22-Sept-26 07:46:28

Cossy - one of my friends, since being retired, sits through it all. What she gets from it, I do not know.
But at least she does know the names of many MPs.

^Oreo - Social Care to me is like the NHS.
Needs people who know a lot more about it, to wisely sort it out.
Are there the right answers to suit everyone? I dont know.

Oreo Mon 21-Sept-26 21:29:31

Although defence spending has to increase, something really important for Andy Burnham to really tackle head on and be radical is Social Care.
This can has been kicked down the road far too often by different governments and if not dealt with now, then when?

Cossy Mon 21-Sept-26 21:25:56

Well, I’d like to say that the thing I hate most about politics is when we sit through televised HoC sessions.

It’s improved considerably lately, but honestly, the way some MPs act and react on ALL sides of the house, from every political party!

I’ve seen more grown up behaviour from 5 year olds!