Not all parents are bothered about school non- attendance though and some actually encourage it.
I used to work at a college and one day I was concerned because a student hadn’t turned up and they had an exam that afternoon, I phoned her mother to be told “Oh I’m sorry she’s really poorly in bed” but, just as we were speaking the girl walked through the door!
Gransnet forums
Grandparenting
Apparently I am a dinosaur!
(33 Posts)DGD is going on a Brownie weekend from Friday to Sunday so will have to ask to leave school early on the Friday. I innocently asked if mummy or the guider was going to send a letter to the school. “Letter!” Was the reply, “this isn’t the olden days Grandma , we use emails these days!” Of course I’m too ancient to know that. Sigh!
13 years ago, I collected my g.daughter from school (new year 7), and she told me she was very hungry as her Mum had not put any money on her finger so she had not had anything to eat at lunchtime.
Back then, it sounded like a foreign language - 'money on her finger!!!'.... When my daughter came to collect her all was explained to me. GD also told that if that ever happened in future, she should tell them at school and they would ensure she would get something to eat at lunchtime.
I often call DH a dinosaur, the things he says at times!
Dylis
Carrier pigeon here!
Gosh. That's very modern and high tec.
I just send a runner...
PaperMonster2
Whilst parents may be responsible for getting their offspring in to school, attendance percentages are a school admin issue that parents don’t need to see on such a regular basis. I’d rather receive more meaningful information regularly about my child than an attendance figure that is meaningless to us - if my child is ill, she won’t be in school, so that’s out of our control. Parents who regularly take their children out of school for spurious reasons probably don’t even bother looking at the app.
As my children are now 45 and 48 respectively and my grandchildren live in Japan I had no knowledge of this info. What a difference it might have made knowing my youngest’s attendance info back when they were at school . Unknown to me he used to ‘bunk off ‘ regularly as I often was away on work and a friend moved into the house to look after my sons when I had to be away and had a car sharing arrangement to take them both to school. I would take them myself most days but even then he would sneak off once dropped off! I was only told of a few missed days eventually by the school but an attendance report etc would have been great and very helpful.
He was eventually ‘sorted out’. But such info earlier would have been so useful. Don’t diss it!
Sadgrandma
DGD is going on a Brownie weekend from Friday to Sunday so will have to ask to leave school early on the Friday. I innocently asked if mummy or the guider was going to send a letter to the school. “Letter!” Was the reply, “this isn’t the olden days Grandma , we use emails these days!” Of course I’m too ancient to know that. Sigh!
They’ll be telling us next that our horseless carriages are old hat, and as for my sedan chair…
eazybee
Schools get blamed for poor attendance, which is actually the responsibility of parents.
Easy does it!
If schools do not report absentism to parents, parents have no earthly chance of doing anything about it, once their children are old enough to go and come home from school alone!
On one occasion, I phoned a parent to inquire whether his daughter was ill, and how much longer she would be off school?
Perplexed silence at the other end of the line. Then "Excuse me, are you saying my daughter has not been at school at all this week?"
(This was a Thursday afternoon.) "Yes, sir, that is exactly what I am saying"
"My daughter and I are going to have a serious conversation when she comes home, because I know nothing about this, and I am glad you phoned."
It transpired that my pupil and a girlfriend from the school she had previously attended, had spent the first four days of that week window-shopping in the city centre instead of going to school!
Teenagers are a joy, ain't they?
Thank you PaperMonster2 , I’m sure she will. I used to be a Brown Owl many years ago and my DD went on to become a Queen’s Guide. I’m sure it contributed to her becoming the confident women she is and to her future career. I hope it does the same for your DD and that she enjoys her trip.
I hope she has an amazing time at Brownie camp! I’m involved in Girl Guiding and it’s so much fun (although a lot of hard work for us grown ups!) My daughter’s off on a foreign trip with Rangers in the autumn.
Sorry meant ‘no way did she mean to be rude’ and ‘Aldom ‘not Adam. It’s the heat or maybe I’m a dinosaur!
My DGD is eight and way did she mean to be rude. Believe me she would soon have known if she was being rude! As sodapop and Adam said she meant no harm, I just thought it was a funny anecdote . Her Brownie weekend is in September well after they go back to school.
Whilst parents may be responsible for getting their offspring in to school, attendance percentages are a school admin issue that parents don’t need to see on such a regular basis. I’d rather receive more meaningful information regularly about my child than an attendance figure that is meaningless to us - if my child is ill, she won’t be in school, so that’s out of our control. Parents who regularly take their children out of school for spurious reasons probably don’t even bother looking at the app.
I'm with you Sodapop what sad grandma's granddaughter said was very sweet. Not a bit rude. We remember these things fondly as the grandchildren grow up.
Not until the end of August, well in the Rep of Ire anyway.
MarieElla
Why is your granddaughter in school in August?
Scottish schools and some in Ireland start back in August.
Cabowich
I'm told even emails are old hat these days. There's no hope
.
Hahaha
Oh dear I'm sure sadgrandma's granddaughter didn't intend to be rude. Don't let's lose our sense of humour, my tech questions are often met with an eye roll and 'oh Nanny'.
Haha I thought “school notes” were still acceptable and I’m sure they are still used by some!!
You’re no dinosaur! X
Why is your granddaughter in school in August?
Fartooold
I think our DCs should remember who taught them to eat and pot trained them!!
Amen
Sadgrandma
Of course I am well aware that schools use email and I use it, text and WhatsApp regularly but despite that and the fact I actually used to teach IT, DGD still thinks I know nothing! Oh dear what hope is there for poor old Grandma!
My gut told me that DGD's reply was a bit rude. Your second post, quoted here, confirms it. Wouldn't it have been kinder for DGD to say, "Yes, they'll notify the school." and leave it at that? It seems to come down to respectful comms. Next time, your reply could be along the lines of: "Yes DGD, I'm aware that folks use email, and whether I say letter or note or email, they all mean the same generally."
Let's ask for respect from our DGC!
I think our DCs should remember who taught them to eat and pot trained them!!
PaperMonster2
I’ve found that you get overloaded with emails when they’re in primary. Very little communication from school when they’re in secondary! In secondary it’s all about using the apps though. I need to remember to top up dinner money - that’s the thing I forget. Then there’s another app with timetable/house points/ attendance/ reports on. That one annoys me as there’s a big attendance percentage always on display - which is of more importance to school than to parents!
Actually, parents/carers need to see the attendance figures.
However, I suppose the few that aren’t interested how well their child attends won’t bother looking at these figures anyway. The more conscientious parents/carers probably do and are probably the ones who make sure their children attend regularly.
It’s all well and good saying the schools are responsible for attendance, when actually the parents/carers have a huge responsibility to ensure their children attend, too. It’s a two way thing, surely?
Carrier pigeon here!
Of course I am well aware that schools use email and I use it, text and WhatsApp regularly but despite that and the fact I actually used to teach IT, DGD still thinks I know nothing! Oh dear what hope is there for poor old Grandma!
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »

.