Reading the article on here about grandparents names I wonder if anyone else has odd names given by the child that stuck! My GD spoke early, it was intended I’d be Grandma and her other GM Nanny. But GD decided to call me Munka. I have no idea why or how she came to it! But Munka I am! I like it because it’s her name choice! She knows I’m GM My other half, not biologically related to her has surname Rabbett and she chose to call him Grampy Rabbit (Peppa Pig to blame there!) he likes that too! The other GPs are Nanny and Gan Gan!
Nannie unless I am with their other nannie and grandad. Then we become nannie followed by our name . They only have one grandad but even thought my husband died 21 years ago they know about him as my daughter tells them about her daddy . And I talk about him. My daughters eldest even knows the name of my parents and my grandparents. The younger one when he is older. Both love funny stories about their grandad .
In our family grandparents are always called by their first name. Don’t ask me why. Everyone seems to like it, it’s just our norm. If I’m ever a grandmother I’ll be called by my first name too so long as the child is happy otherwise they can call me with they want.
Granny. My children called my mum Granny, so they chose Granny for me. My stepson has taught his daughter to say Granny First Name. Not quite sure why. I somehow doubt I will see her again now that her Grandad has died.
My first grandchild is almost 18. When he was born, I wanted to be called something simple that he could pronounce. I was secretly competing with his other grandma with the hopes that he would say my name first lol Bad grandma. So I had decided Gee was perfect. And the other grandma could have grandma and we would know who the child was talking about. Gee continues to stick and I love it. I am also called Grandma by my step grandchild. And I am called Gammy by my other grand children.
Now my husband on the other hand for some funny reason is Mampa to all but one of our grands. We have 11 grandkids, and only 2 of them are girls and it was the oldest girl that chose Mampa and it has stuck now
I'm 'Granny'. The late Queen and her mother used this title and so have all my family as far back as I can remember. The older GC have shortened it to 'Gran'. Toddler (very nearly 2) DGGD calls me 'Ganny' so far, as her other grandparents are 'Ganma' and 'Gandad' .
I’m Granny Jane to everyone at the primary school in the village. One of my grandchildren’s ‘other ’ Granny’s calls me Wonder Gran - the children told me! - and I’m guessing it’s not in an affectionate way 😂😂