Gransnet forums

Gardening

Leatherjackets and Magpies

(23 Posts)
JenniRen Sun 04-Oct-26 10:44:10

I don't think the birds can keep up with them.

However, lawn grass is resilient, I know someone who had a lawn infested with leather jackets and it seems to have recovered. I think he raked it well and gave it a fertiliser.

vegansrock Sun 04-Oct-26 07:37:33

Surely if the birds eat them then that gets rid doesn’t it? Please don’t use pesticides in your garden - it’s the reason we have one of the most nature depleted countries. We have solitary bees which dig in our grass and there are magpies busily pecking at them. Enough of the bees will survive . It’s the circle of life and all that.

Astitchintime Sun 04-Oct-26 07:30:37

It’s chafer grubs that destroy our lawn……..live deep in the soil and eat the grass roots, then hatch in May and fly off to some other unsuspecting garden lovers grass after laying eggs for the next onslaught! 😡

nanna8 Sun 04-Oct-26 03:41:37

Lawns aren’t a priority round here as every year they go brown because of the weather. It would be a bit over the top and wasteful to water every single night. The magpies you get are really pretty birds, nicer looking than our magpies. Here is one of ours, nice looking enough but yours are prettier.

CarrotTop Sun 04-Oct-26 03:26:36

Crane flies have been noticeable by their absence here for several years. We do get at least two wasps' nests every year - I let them be unless they nest too close to the house, as they keep the greenfly down. Also several species of bee, such as bumblebees, leaf cutters and honey bees from a neighbour's hives. There is running water close by, so we also get damsel flies, mayflies and dragonflies on a warm summer day. Jackdaws nest in our field maple each year but I've never seen them digging up the lawn - perhaps the damp soil under the grass puts crane flies off for some reason.

JenniRen Sat 03-Oct-26 23:00:08

meddijess

What about a novel thought - don't worry about your lawn. The magpies are hungry, as are all other living things. Why kill the larvae when living beings will go hungry? I have never understood the obsession with lawns - madness!

Our lawn is partly grass, partly weeds, or wildflowers if you prefer.
Two crows were busy pecking away on a bank which is mainly dead moss now, perhaps there are leather jackets in there.

Yeats ago there used to be crane flies everywhere, esprcially round a light, now we rarely see them.

David49 Sat 03-Oct-26 17:57:47

Called leather jackets because they have a leathery skin
Don’t worry about magpies and crows you won’t believe what badgers will do

Gwyllt Sat 03-Oct-26 17:37:19

meddijess I think it depends if you have a lawn or grass I have the latter I like to think of the weeds as wild flowers and certainly it fared much better in the dry weather than a pristine lawn would have done Don’t water either

win Sat 03-Oct-26 17:13:14

This is so funny, people pay thousands to maintain their lawn to perfection, others let the birds have their meals from it. Each to their own 🤣

Pondlife Sat 03-Oct-26 16:29:57

I leave mine for the starlings and their babies in the spring.
Also, I love that period in autumn when they fly into the house clumsily banging into things and waking up the cat.

HiPpyChick57 Sat 03-Oct-26 16:04:37

meddijess

What about a novel thought - don't worry about your lawn. The magpies are hungry, as are all other living things. Why kill the larvae when living beings will go hungry? I have never understood the obsession with lawns - madness!

Well said meddijess

meddijess Sat 03-Oct-26 15:39:22

What about a novel thought - don't worry about your lawn. The magpies are hungry, as are all other living things. Why kill the larvae when living beings will go hungry? I have never understood the obsession with lawns - madness!

debwh142 Sat 03-Oct-26 15:32:58

I had the same problem a few years ago but with a badger digging the back lawn up up overnight, the lawn looked like a bomb site in the morning when we got up , big clumps of grass dug up everywhere, and then he burrowed under the fence and had a go at my neighbour's and several others on his way up the lane.
He came in from the fields at the back we think

JenniRen Sat 03-Oct-26 14:52:40

Leather jacket is the correct term for the larvae of crane flies.
Crane flies aka Daddy Longlegs.

The larvae can destroy a lawn. The more the birds eat the better.

Nannan2 Sat 03-Oct-26 14:48:53

But funny😆

Nannan2 Sat 03-Oct-26 14:48:19

Neither have i.Not a gardener😬Why not just say that then,why call it 'leather jacket? How odd.😆

Newgran59 Sat 03-Oct-26 14:17:08

Thanks Georgesgran, I've never know that.

Georgesgran Sat 03-Oct-26 14:07:27

Larvae of the crane fly (daddy long legs) polnan.

polnan Sat 03-Oct-26 14:00:03

whats a leather jacket?in the animal world.

25Avalon Wed 30-Sept-26 10:35:35

Dd used nematodes to kill the larvae off. Then you may need to re sow the grass in places but this is the right time of year.

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Sept-26 09:09:35

Oik out!

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Sept-26 09:07:17

Same problem here, im hoping they like out the moss!

teaforone Wed 30-Sept-26 08:54:20

Sitting looking at my rear lawn I realised that there were 2 Magpies who are visiting at least 3 times a day digging up the lawn and leaving a real mess. Many years ago I had to completely re lawn my front garden after a leather jacket attack so it looks like they are back again. The Magpies are very industrious and leave it looking like I’ve been scarifying the lawn but any ideas how I can to repair it this time.