Gransnet forums

Gardening

Tackling overgrown garden

(22 Posts)
Gwyllt Sat 10-Oct-26 08:15:06

You will get there. Just don’t give up. Our garden was covered with brambles. They still return in places particularly this year once cleared we found all sorts underneath

Allsorts Sat 10-Oct-26 07:24:30

I would ask a tree surgeon if you want to keep the trees, the one at the back looks healthy. You have a lovely blank canvas there.

Sarnia Sat 26-Sept-26 22:42:24

I would get a tree surgeon's advice about the health of the tree and a quote to remove it if there is nothing to be done to save it. It won't be cheap but tree felling is way beyond most gardener's expertise.
Your photo shows a lovely blank canvas that you can plan and plant for your own pleasure.

FranP Sat 26-Sept-26 22:37:49

I had what I thought was a dead tree; I chopped it to 3ft as I could not bend down further at the time. It is a very healthy bush now.

A couple of my conifers did not survive the drought, so I have taken all the foliage off and cut to the height of the fence behind. I now have a passion flower support with periwinkle interspersed on one, and will use the other to support the sweet peas next year.

If your tree seems sound you could make a feature like this, or cut it to sitting or table height to use that way

25Avalon Sat 26-Sept-26 13:10:44

You can find out from your local Council if it has a TPO and/or you are in a conservation area. If so you will need planning permission to cut it back or cut it down. If it’s diseased and you have an arboreal report that says so you can give the Council 7 day’s notice that you are chopping it down. However if it does have a TPO you will be required to replace it with a like tree

StoneofDestiny Fri 25-Sept-26 17:46:29

Consult a tree specialist - if it’s not dead work out if it will cause you problems of excessive shade, if so, reducing its height might be better.
It doesn’t look healthy but depends when the photograph was taken.
It’s usually best to wait until Spring to assess if plants are alive or dead - particularly after this long dry summer.

Onetoein Fri 25-Sept-26 14:40:47

If you not a gardener -- I'm not, but like to sit outside. I bought an automatic mower, it mower at night and no clippings!

JenniRen Fri 25-Sept-26 14:29:59

WelshPoppy

Does it have a TPO? Even if dead there are regulations to follow if it does. A reputable arborialist/tree surgeon can advise.

Good point.

JenniRen Fri 25-Sept-26 14:29:43

The tree looks dead but yes, get someone in to test it then have it removed if it is.

Most trees that have suffered with false autumn due to the drought this summer still have some leaves although they may look burnt and scorched rather than lovely autumnal colours.

If it's an ash tree it could have ash dieback and definitely needs to be removed.

WelshPoppy Fri 25-Sept-26 14:22:53

Does it have a TPO? Even if dead there are regulations to follow if it does. A reputable arborialist/tree surgeon can advise.

Nicolenet Fri 25-Sept-26 14:17:03

Ask tree surgeon and wait one full year to see what is thriving. If you want low maintenance concrete over the lot. It sounds like you aren't a gardener?

edd269 Fri 25-Sept-26 13:50:38

You also have to decide whether to dig up the tree roots, or just live the stump in the ground,

lovethepuppies Thu 24-Sept-26 02:34:32

I'd get the opinion of an arborist. Otherwise it would be a shame to take down a good tree.

25Avalon Wed 23-Sept-26 22:33:17

If the tree is dead it needs to be taken down or it will be a danger - one high wind and crash. a tree surgeon will confirm it is dead, whether it was caused by fungus, and can chop it down. You may be able to use the wood. It looks to me that once it’s gone you will have a flat blank canvas to deal with. Don’t try and do it all at once though. You can get free garden design apps that can help with planning.

CarrotTop Wed 23-Sept-26 19:50:18

Are you certain it's dead? If so, it might be an idea to get the opinion of a proper qualified tree expert (arboriculturalist, try saying that with a mouthful of cream crackers) to find out why it died. Trees of that size don't tend to die just from neglect - make sure there isn't anything poisonous in the soil. Don't even start to think about what you'll grow there until you know what killed the tree and shrubs - it could cost a lot of money to find out the hard way. Good luck on that.

Shel1951 Wed 23-Sept-26 19:34:36

There is honeysuckle growing up it with ivy, the scent is strong ,there is a unkempt rose in amongst the grass and weeds, I will call tree surgeon,its definitely dead,

shysal Wed 23-Sept-26 18:46:14

A previous neighbour of mine had a similar dead tree. He had the height reduced then grew a rambling rose up it, which was beautiful!

OldFrill Wed 23-Sept-26 18:04:14

It looks like an Ash tree, though hard to tell. Ash trees are suffering from a fungal disease called Ash Dieback. A few might survive but that looks unlikely in this case. I'd ask the advice of a local (as if it is Ash dieback others will know about it, or a tree surgeon). If it looks like it could survive pruning can be enough but I'd have it removed.

If there is ivy growing on tree trunks l always cut it at the base and let it die, then easily pull the dead ivy off. It massively increases the light through the trees onto the ground cover helping plants on the ground to thrive. It's on ongoing process.

Casdon Wed 23-Sept-26 17:55:25

Unless you are absolutely certain that shrubs are dead, I wouldn’t pull them up until you’ve given them a chance to come back in the spring. The summer was so dry, that a lot of things shed their foliage very early to protect the plant for next year. If the tree is definitely dead have it removed though.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Sept-26 17:12:46

It is very difficult to judge tbh unless you are stood in the garden and can get a full perspective.

I would alwAys think very carefully before I removed a healthy tree.

midgey Wed 23-Sept-26 17:08:49

If it is very dead I think it would be easier to sort out before you start work in the garden. It can be messy getting rid of large logs etc. What kind of tree was it? Might it keep you warm in the future?

Shel1951 Wed 23-Sept-26 16:55:01

I recently purchased our house with a garden that once was stunning the neighbours tell me, they died and had no children, the solicitor sold it to us, the Autioneer had a couple of men plus himself chop down the overgrown shrubs trees etc, but weren't gardeners, shrubs died, some have been pruned badly, apparently it was completely overgrown as had been unattended for years, this is my first job, this dead tree and shrubs, earlier in the year there were many plants that now have disappeared entirely,should I get the tree removed?