My block paved drive is big enough for 4 cars, and is about 20 years old. However over the last 3 years a lot of weeds have grown in the cracks (building work disturbance). A friend asked if his son could clear the weeds to earn some holiday spending money, but his father insisted he scrape between all the pavers - which was exactly what I’d said I didn’t want, as it would simply leave even more gaps for weeds. Well this year it’s terrible! In fact it’s doubly terrible because so many of the weeds are hairy bittercress. I know that the correct solution is scrape, weed, power spray & brush sand in. It’s too big a job for me & I don’t know who I could hire. So I’m wondering if you have any shortcuts you’ve successfully tried?
I've been strimming mine for a couple of years. Now I notice that dwarf-looking varieties are coming up. I don't mind those, or the ones that grow flat. I would like to sow alpines in the cracks, but not sure which seeds to choose or how to encourage them.
Apparently, bicarbonate of soda works. Sprinkle it over the paving on a dry day, brush into the cracks and wait. It kills the weeds and it is important to NOT remove the dead stuff as this leaves space for something else to flourish. I saw this on fb by a bloke called Imnogardener!
I use a Wolf Garten patio scraper.Easier to use it after its rained and paths and drive are damp.I actually find it quite enjoyable and do it every 3/4 months.Then afterwards when its fine I mix up acetic acid and salt and water and uses a watering can with a rose.That keeps it looking tidy.I don't mind a little bit of moss anyway but haven't had any serious weeds for years now.
We have blocked paved drive, the weeds are a nightmare. We now use a strimmer then weeds killer then, sand that’s seems to keep it under control a bit.
It is the bane of our lives, we have had the drive cleaned and re sanded several times. We have considered having it taken up and a resin drive instead, some neighbours have done this and we did look into it but it is very expensive, the man who gave the estimate said that because our drive is good he could put resin over it which would bring down the cost but we are uncertain about that. I have recently found out that Wickes do a sand with added weed killer so when we have the drive cleaned again we will get some and get them to use that instead of the normal sand.
I just use Roundup weed killer, it's been in use for 60 yrs and has never been proved to harm any kind of animal life, unlike salt, vinegar or washing powder and many other so called harmless remedies. It's easily the easiest and cheapest too.
Roundup is very toxic to every sign of life including yours. Look it up
After 60 yrs of research all they can say is that it "probably" is cancerous. How bad is that, there are hundreds of materials that we use every day that we know cause cancer and worse if abused, but we still use them. GM is another one there is no evidence that it has harmed anyone, it has been in use in the US for 30 yrs, scientists still cant find any harm yet many demonize it. In the US and UK the main health problem is obesity. So we try to cure that with Mounjaro how sure are we that is not cancerous.
About once a year I bruise the weeds by standing on them then I pour a thick washing up liquid (Fairy) on them followed by a layer of salt . It has to be a dry day and I don't always bruise them that carefully -my method works well anyway . I've got rid of many dandelions in the lawn and the weeds in the drive without much effort and expense.
I just use Roundup weed killer, it's been in use for 60 yrs and has never been proved to harm any kind of animal life, unlike salt, vinegar or washing powder and many other so called harmless remedies. It's easily the easiest and cheapest too.
Roundup is very toxic to every sign of life including yours. Look it up
Azalea, just thought, but could someone handy put concrete between all the ‘bricks’ to completely fill the cracks, like grouting? You can also buy ready mix powder concrete, brush it into all the cracks and gaps, and water it in using a watering can, that would solve the problem, and stop any more growing, plus you would have a very individual and smart looking drive!!
We have a small block paved drive. Takes 3 cars. There's what appears to be small white circles all over it. Not sure if it's mould. I did read up on the cleaning process & it says you should only use kiln dried sand to replace the sand that's been removed.
You can use a good weedkiller. I always scrape the weeds as this is the most wildlife friendly. If you power wash you will need to treat the blocks because power washing damages the surface of the blocks. If you regularly sweep the drive you will reduce the amount of tiny seeds that find their way between the blocks. It wont have made a difference having the weeds scraped out, unless your driveway had a cement mix hich would have sealed the gaps, instead of just sand to fill the gaps.
Pouring boiling water on the weeds kills them in a day or two. It obviously requires several trips outside with the kettle, so if you have a large area it might not be very practical.
A second for wet and forget but you have to be patient as it is not instantaneous. In some situations it last more than 12 months. I think it depends on how damp the area is and how much sun it gets