Gransnet forums

Food

Discovered anything new lately? - food and drink wise

(36 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 14-Aug-26 12:20:31

I was handed an Aperol Spritz earlier this year and have been enjoying them ever since. I'm usually not one for loads of ice, but well with this weather.....the perfect summer drink with a slice of orange.

My other discovery, food wise. Chia Puddings, courtesy of a hotel we were staying in. Not really a pudding more of a breakfast food, little glass pots of what looked like frog spawn shock with a fruit puree on top. Tasted so much better than they looked.

Anything new to you passed your lips ?

Witzend Wed 26-Aug-26 19:10:36

Fara56

Put together a fluorescent green soup in soup maker. Spinach celery frozen peas and a small potato with an onion. Mint and thyme Absolutely delicious and soooo good for you

Ooh, I haven’t got a soup maker but I’ll have a go at this with my usual pan and blender.

Fara56 Wed 26-Aug-26 13:46:06

Put together a fluorescent green soup in soup maker. Spinach celery frozen peas and a small potato with an onion. Mint and thyme Absolutely delicious and soooo good for you

Romola Wed 26-Aug-26 13:33:23

I visited a friend yesterday who gave me a radicchio which she had grown in her garden.
I had some leaves as salad, but you can also cook it, which reduces the bitter taste, according to my friend

MiniMoon Wed 26-Aug-26 13:26:28

Yes I do eat them, but I wanted to use them in a recipe. If anyone would like to try the erik tavası here is a link to the page. We've just eaten it and will certainly make it again, absolutely delicious.

www.turkeysforlife.com/2018/05/greengage-sweet-sour-chicken-recipe.html

MawsRosie Tue 25-Aug-26 22:26:04

Greengages?
Eat them! They are like sweetish plums , IMO tasting much better.

MiniMoon Tue 25-Aug-26 21:39:37

I bought some greengage but had no idea what to do with them. I found a recipe for eric tavası, a Turkish chicken and greengage sweet and sour dish. I'm going to make it tomorrow for lunch.
It sounds delicious.

Greyduster Tue 25-Aug-26 20:42:02

Sloe gin and tonic! I make my own sloe gin if there are sloes to be had and usually drink it like a liqueur, but putting tonic in it is a revelation!

MayBee70 Tue 25-Aug-26 09:03:00

I only buy Ceylon cinnamon as other types have something in them that is bad for you in large quantities.

fancyflowers Tue 25-Aug-26 08:55:57

Hiraeth

Courgette lasagne .My daughter has an abundance of courgettes this year .

Aubergine lasagne is great. We had to buy the aubergines though. Although given the state of our summers, we might be growing our own soon.

nanna8 Tue 25-Aug-26 00:24:03

Just a random question about cinnamon, following this. Last time I added more than usual to a dish ( the container lid came off mid shake !) and spent the night peeing . Does it have this effect or was it coincidence?

Witzend Mon 24-Aug-26 22:31:49

Niochorio

I would love to make lamb kleftiko Witzend , where did you find your recipe please?

There are a lot of recipes online, if you google.
They varied a lot! Some added sundry spices, e.g cinnamon, which I didn’t fancy at all.

But the methods were all much the same.
FWIW I marinated mine, in the fridge for 24 hours, in olive oil, chopped parsley and mint (I’d use more mint another time) dried oregano, lemon juice and a little salt. The recipe said to stab little holes in the meat and rub the marinade in.

You then wrap it in a secure parcel using first 2 pieces of baking paper, one lengthways, one crossways, repeat with 2 pieces of foil, make sure it’s well sealed.
Put in an ovenproof dish.

Mine (a half boned shoulder) went in the oven for at least 4 hours at around 140 fan, after which I dropped it to IIRC 130 for a couple more. Parcel stayed intact with all the juices - the meat just fell apart.
I cooked potatoes separately, but some recipes include them.

Bukkie Mon 24-Aug-26 19:20:22

J52- I know it's popular but I feel the same about carrot cake, it's like eating soil.

nanna8 Mon 24-Aug-26 13:00:46

I had a jackfruit smoothie in a Vietnamese restaurant this week. Prefer the mango ones, though.

Hiraeth Mon 24-Aug-26 12:07:51

Courgette lasagne .My daughter has an abundance of courgettes this year .

Niochorio Mon 24-Aug-26 11:50:30

I would love to make lamb kleftiko Witzend , where did you find your recipe please?

shysal Mon 24-Aug-26 08:44:52

I have discovered that pork belly slices cooked in the slow cooker just melt in the mouth. They can be seared afterwards to crisp the skin, but I preferred them soft.

JenniRen Sun 23-Aug-26 22:28:34

Our daughter makes chia pudding but I can't even taste it because yes, it does look like frog spawn, reminiscent of horrible school puddings.
She has made some interesting drinks, smoothies and food for us 🤔

Witzend Sun 23-Aug-26 22:19:55

The kleftiko worked very well - my parcel of baking paper and foil stayed intact, with all the juices inside - the meat just fell apart and the fat had disappeared. 🙂

Another time I’ll use more mint in the marinade, though.

Fairislecable Sun 23-Aug-26 20:48:52

Pentire Coastal Spritz it’s a non alcoholic drink and reminds me of Aperol, I can no longer have alcohol ( I miss my old G & T) .

The replacement non alcoholic gins, I have yet to find a good one but the Pentire drink is so refreshing and lovely with a tonic water.

It’s a real treat.

JamesandJon33 Sun 23-Aug-26 20:02:23

Burrata…..a lovely soft cheese, great with tomatoes and all salad vegetables really

J52 Sun 23-Aug-26 19:47:44

Beetroot and chocolate cake, chosen by DH for me in a tea room. Yuk! Tasted like soil. To be avoided.

Magenta8 Sun 23-Aug-26 18:08:10

I recently discovered samphire and I rediscover freshly dug up new potatoes every year.

I have also developed a taste for mocktails - lovely in the hot weather.

Greyduster Sun 23-Aug-26 18:05:51

That sounds wonderful, it will melt in the mouth and be full of flavour. In drooling at the thought!

ViceVersa Sun 23-Aug-26 18:02:04

Ooh, I made kleftiko during the week, Witzend, and it was lovely!

Witzend Sun 23-Aug-26 17:47:45

Not exactly discovered, since I’ve had it in Cyprus, but today I’m having a go at making kleftiko (stolen lamb) which they traditionally cook in bread ovens until it falls apart.

Having found several varying recipes, I’ve got a half shoulder of lamb in the oven - on low for several hours. It was marinated for 24 hours in mint, parsley, oregano, olive oil, lemon juice and salt, then wrapped tightly in baking paper and foil.

Some recipes included e.g. cinnamon, which I’m not keen on anyway, and some included potatoes, but I’m cooking those separately.
I don’t usually much like lamb shoulder (too fatty) so I’m hoping that this way the fat will have disappeared. Will report back!
We’ll be having it with mashed potatoes and fresh U.K. grown green beans.