Gransnet forums

Education

You Are Never Too Old To Learn

(70 Posts)
VisionaryDreamer Fri 17-May-19 21:05:58

Hi, I hear so many people at midlife say they are too old to learn something new, to go back to college or university to study and retrain for a new career/life path, or even just for personal interest. Or they get told by other people they are too old.
I want to say...you are never ever too old to learn a new skill whether it is for your own personal development or whether it for professional development.
In my 40's I decided to change my career having worked predominately as a secretary/account assistant for much of my career life. I went back to college and retrained to become an Holistic Therapist.
In my 50's I decided to go to university to study for a degree in Complementary Healthcare and Health Studies. At the age of 59 I not only graduated but I set up my own business. My next step is to write my own book.
My grandmother wrote her first book in her 70's.
People say you cannot teach an old dog new skills...who says that is true? It is not true! For one thing we are humans capable of learning and growing all the time.
So my powerful message is you are never too old and it is too late. If you still have dreams then pursue them. Live life to the full. Bless you! smile

maxlakonsky Tue 06-Sept-22 15:02:31

Great words! Thanks for inspiration)

katemaribell Sun 25-Sept-22 21:09:48

I completely agree with the fact that learning is worth your entire conscious life. There is one very good proverb - "Age live - age learn". My parents are a great example for me, because regardless of their age, they are always learning something, taking various courses. I also try so hard to always discover something new, but because of the large number of tasks from the university. But a friend recommended me to delegate these tasks to a ghostwriting service - a team of professionals. And I use this service regularly. The order is always completed on time and the quality is high.

MaksRomanov Wed 02-Nov-22 13:22:53

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Grandmabatty Wed 02-Nov-22 13:26:18

Reported

JeanParcks Sat 09-Mar-24 15:17:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

ahamoto Sat 30-Nov-24 04:18:39

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Asleypatricia Wed 25-Jun-25 13:31:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Grandma70s Wed 25-Jun-25 13:48:42

I don’t believe that you can do anything you want to do, and that age is no barrier. Age is definitely a barrier to fulfilling my dream. I’d like to dance the lead in Swan Lake. Lack of talent is another barrier.

agnurse Thu 26-Jun-25 07:50:26

I did not meet her personally, but just over 20 years ago when I was in nursing school I was told by other students that we had a fellow student who was I think 62 years old. She had been a health care aide for years and decided she wanted to return to school to take her education to the next level and become a registered nurse.

Athrawes Thu 26-Jun-25 11:15:31

I'd love to play a musical instrument again. I've not done this for absolutely ages. I occasionally tinkle on the ivories but I'd like to try something new. Do I have enough puff I wonder!!!

halenabob Thu 15-Jan-26 13:54:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Cossy Thu 15-Jan-26 13:57:08

I so agree, never too old to learn and our mantra here is “every days a classroom”
Not great grammar, but like the reasoning.

We have an old dog, she’s 11.5 years old, with patience she can be taught something new.

JamesandJon33 Thu 15-Jan-26 14:02:52

Over 80 now. Started writing in lock down. Two books published, one in production and one on the way.

Romola Thu 15-Jan-26 14:15:37

We've ALL been on a big learning curve with the coming of IT.
"Well done Granny," I say to myself when I successfully manage an IT task.
So I'm saying "Well done" to everyone on Gransnet. 😅

agnurse Thu 15-Jan-26 16:46:55

My father retired last year at the age of 67. One of the gifts he received at his retirement party was a cookbook. He said he appreciated this because he isn't much of a cook, and while my mother cooks very well, they are getting older and there may come a time when Dad needs to learn to cook for himself.

charliebitson Sat 29-Aug-26 12:13:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Witzend Sat 29-Aug-26 16:37:01

I did an OU degree in my early 50s, different subjects from previous tertiary study. Got a 2:1.

Hoping ze little grey cells are still up for it, though - acquired a Welsh language course a few months ago, still haven’t started it. Did Welsh Duolingo for a few months previously , but after a few months couldn’t get on with their methods - expecting you to do exercises with nothing to refer to.

I’ve studied several languages, including classical Greek and Russian, but just could not work the Duolingo way. It was Ok at first, but I they evidently changed their methods.
🤞for the new materials - once I finally get down to them!

Overthemoongran Sat 29-Aug-26 16:49:23

I LOVE learning new things and was always the first to sign up for evening classes whilst I was still working. Once I retired I enjoyed all sorts of classes open to us older folk, but recently the government has insisted that councils concentrate on skills for work courses, so the courses I enjoyed previously - Spanish, dressmaking, arts & crafts, cookery, are no longer available. There are lots of sports activities available but I can’t exercise ALL day, my brain needs exercise too. I used to do the WEA online courses but they too have become more work based, the U3A have a good selection and I enjoy some to the WI online sessions.

butterandjam Sat 29-Aug-26 17:32:46

VisionaryDreamer

Gonegirl
My intention was to encourage and inspire people who still have dreams to pursue them, that at midlife one is still young, still has a life to live. I hear too often people at midlife believe they are too old to do anything. I had people tell me I am too old to change my career, to old to go back to college, and especially too old to study for a degree, and too old to set up my own business, being told that at my age I should be slowing down.
What I am saying is age should not define anyone..so it is getting past ageism.

I don't think many on GN are "midlife ".

You've mis-read the room.