Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a Pear/Apple - Part 5. Still going!!

(927 Posts)
NanKate Tue 22-Oct-24 12:47:23

On 08 May 2018 I started this thread for those who wanted to lose weight and have a healthier lifestyle.

We now have a small band of ‘regulars’ called Pears and Apples. I am so grateful to those who have stayed loyal and contributed a lot of useful information and given support, especially Whiff 👍

Do join us, the rules are simple.

Choose your own style of diet plan.

Check in regularly with a report of the highs and lows of the diet.

Have an occasional binge but get back on the wagon ASAP.

Pass on any useful diet tips.

You have nothing to lose on this thread, other than weight.

Our mantra is - EAT LESS FOR LIFE.

Whiff Wed 07-Oct-26 06:37:44

NanKate love Frida Khalo's work. Did you ever see the film about her it was on TV many moons ago ? Glad you had a lovely extended birthday.

Shirley well done lossing the 1 and half pounds. I lost 2 lbs this week. Funny enough since I stopped having lunch don't feel hungry during the day. Shows just having my soup was just habit not hunger. Still have my porridge for breakfast and stew for dinner which I add extra veg and either bulgar wheat,rice or pasta to it . To make up my calories.

Choir started again learning Eleanor Rigby, We built this city, Elastic heart and love story . Have new choir director who I had meet before at a fund raiser for grief counselling for children. She was brilliant.

I really don't know where my days go . Wake every morning at 5 to start taking my tablets next thing I know its bedtime .

Charity I support took my tumble dryer as in 7 years only used it handful of times plus other things. My daughter did 2 tip runs for me . Had already started clearing out my garage just need to finish it ready for when my daughter has time to take me to Care co to get a mobility scooter. Its so I can go to Aldi and go over Rimrose valley. And no doubt go other places . But will still use buses and local trains . Its just I can't walk as far as I did since January last year. When on hol I go to places I want to see but have rests in between.

CocoPops hope the steroid is helping you .

Hope everyone else is well .Don't forget flu and covid jab season . I get flu free but paying £85 for covid one .

Take care everyone one .

NanKate Mon 05-Oct-26 16:27:05

Well done ShirleyW a good loss.

10 of my neighbours came in the end and we had such fun. 👍

Shirleyw Mon 05-Oct-26 13:36:01

Lost 1 and a half lbs this week, same as week before, am pleased with that, long may these pounds and a halves continue lol.

Glad you had a good birthday nankate

Getting chillier this week, nice temperature today.

NanKate Fri 02-Oct-26 08:30:03

Thanks Whiff for telling us about your adventures.

Meant to thank you for my Birthday Card 👍

I too like going to Museums and my DH is taking me to the Tate Modern soon to the Frida Kahlo exhibition my favourite artist. My elder grandson has given me a shopping bag with Frida on the front with her cat. My youngest grandson gave me a very colourful fridge magnet, knowing I love colours.

I too am frightened of big dogs Whiff they can smell my fear.

5 of the neighbours are coming round on Saturday afternoon for a slice of birthday cake and 🍾 We are lucky to have kind young neighbours around us.

Diet all forgotten need to get back on track soon. 😉

Whiff Mon 28-Sept-26 06:31:28

Good job I got over my fear of dogs 10 years ago when my son and daughter in law had their's . Funny thing is its big dogs come to me . Brought some Christmas cards in a charity shop. Then after coming out of a pub. I was cheeky and asked if I could use the loo. At large poodle called Nova came to me she was with her owner sitting at a bench while his girlfriend had gone into a hot spud shop. Didn't realise poodles fur was so soft.

I don't wear anything that smells so I must give off a smell that attracts big dogs. Biggest on so far was a St Bernard he was only still a puppy and came boob height that was in town by me . But he didn't droole .

Went to Aberdeen on the train on Thursday and taught a young woman to knit. She asked . She was using a circular needle. So explained why her stitches where loose and said best thing use medium length straight needles and said which magazine to buy. She was at uni and there was a knitting and crochet club. She could crochet but wanted to knit. I had to stop knitting when the children where young as I couldn't control the needles. Amazed myself I remembered how to cast on.
Aberdeen was lovely went to the Martime museum over 5 floors loved it. It over looked the docks and had lovely lunch in restaurant called Molly's. Had apple and cinnamon crumble and custard can't remember last time I had crumble .

The railway station was opposite my hotel over 2 large roads . Had taxi when I arrived and departed. As it was a one way traffic. Short walk but not with my luggage.

Think thats enough about my adventures more happened but rambled on as always . But loved everything I did. Have a good week pears .

Whiff Mon 28-Sept-26 06:09:33

NanKate glad you had a lovely birthday . You are allowed to over indulge on your birthday.

CocoPops can't remember if I put on weight when I took steroids but I was already 19st in 1988 when I went on them. I do know people on steroids now it depends on type of tablet plus the person's metabolism. Some put weight on and it stayed, others put on at first but then their body got used to it and able to lose weight .
Hope they help you .

Much to my surprise I lost quarter of a pound . I expected to had put on at least 5lbs . First time ever I haven't put weight on during a holiday. I ate all the things I don't normally eat and had cake like it was going out of fashion.

Monday went into Dundee lot of work being done on the pavements. Saw as much as I could but to far to walk to things and buses not very frequent. Tuesday spend about 3 hours in the Discovery museum. It was fascinating and watched 3, 10 mins films about various aspects of the construction and the journey. Lots of things to see and went on board the Discovery. Going down stairs was out but took 27 pics to send so my grandsons could see all aspects of the ship and some exhibits in the museum. Then tea and my first Tunnocks tea cake. Much to my surprise it wasn't sweet . Normally I don't like marshmallow but it was delicious.

Went to the V&A museum. That wasn't as good as I thought it would be . There was an exhibition of things designed for the disabled . Which was rubbish . Designed by able bodied artists who knew nothing about being disabled. Me being me did tell the person overseeing the gallery what was wrong with it. Well she did ask if I liked it ? Never ask me questions as I tell it straight as I don't lie simple reason I forget.

Wednesday went to Stonehaven on the train. Lovely town didn't realise it was so far to walk from station to town . After 40 mins gave up and called a taxi. I don't walk very quickly . There was a bus but it would have been a 34 mins wait abd I can't stand that long . I am better on the move.

Meet 2 ladies off the train with their bikes . They where going 46 miles to the hotel they where staying overnight . They where both in their 60's and not an ounce of spare fat on them. But they had been cycling since their 40's .

Had a lovely time in Stonehaven talked to lot of people . Had lunch in a tapas restaurant food was delicious. Walking along suddenly at dog came straight to me dragging his owner. Merlin likes to pick people I was told. He was a greyhound crossed with something very furry . His head came to just under my boob's. I always ask before stroking a dog. He's owner laughed and said thats what he came for. We had a nice chat and his wife came out of the charity shop . Merlin knows which people are nice as he is picky who he goes to.

NanKate Sun 27-Sept-26 19:26:45

Thanks All for your kind messages. I have had a wonderful weekend and felt very emotional reading my dear grandsons messages to me. I am blessed to have a loving family and GN friends like you - MUCH APPRECIATED. Have to admit I have over indulged this weekend so back to calorie counting for me. 🥳🍫🍷👋

CocoPops Sat 26-Sept-26 19:42:47

Happy 80th NanKate. My daughter was at Sussex Uni. We had some happy times in and around Brighton.
I saw my GP again who said I will put weight on with steroids ( as if I didn't know!!) However, I 'm glad he said that because I'm determined to prove him wrong!

Whiff Sat 26-Sept-26 17:24:51

NanKate incase I forget happy birthday for tomorrow. Couldn't decide on birthday card for you so here are 3 . I choose cards for the picture that sums up my feeling for that person . So you are a busy bee,love shopping and a lovely friend to chat to.

Shirleyw Wed 23-Sept-26 05:02:13

Thanks whiff…..yes I felt a right fool and didn’t think I’d of been caught, just shows.

Hope you have a lovely birthday weekend nankate, weather looks good for this weekend too.

MayBee70 Tue 22-Sept-26 12:42:59

I’m still losing weight. Am at my lowest weight for decades even though my mobility isn’t good. I have added psyllium husk to the daily chia seeds so it could be that I spend a lot of time in the loo (tmi!). I wish I had Whiffs get up and go attitude though; I am prone to feeling sorry for myself.

NanKate Tue 22-Sept-26 11:25:25

Good to have our small band of Losers together again.

Thanks Whiff for the photos always good to hear about your hols.

We are off on Friday to Monday to celebrate my 80th Birthday on the 27th 😳🥳 with my son and family near Brighton.

I will enjoy all the extra food over the weekend and then get back on track next week - HOPEFULLY 😉

Whiff Tue 22-Sept-26 06:44:54

Posted so I didn't lose it.
NanKate sorry about your husband but glad he he is well again . See not just weight loss support but medical as well. 😃 .

Shirley so sorry you got scammed. Happened to me but I realised straight away and got in touch with my credit card company and they cancelled my card got my money back for me and issued me with a new card all within a week. I felt a fool as I am normally very aware of scams. But scammers are getting more tricky to spot especially with use of AI. Luckily I always have cash with me . But it made me realise how dependant I had got on using my credit card but them again I have lot of things delivered because of lack of strength and convenience especially if my mobile or pain levels are worse.

Only thing steroids did for me this was back in 1992 and had to come off them slowly was a hairy chin which I have to shave if going out.

Going to the Discovery museum and the one next to it today and find out if there is a tour bus to see thjngs I can't walk to . View from my hotel it's the river Tay. Ship is the Discovery.

Didn't weigh myself this week.
Take care everyone 🫂

Whiff Tue 22-Sept-26 06:25:27

CocoPops sorry you have this but glad you got diagnosed. I think with any illness getting diagnosed as soon as possible is key. Only took 62 years to find out about the hole in the side of my heart and get diagnosed with paroxymal atrial fibrillation being on the medication has helped me so much. Also took me 63 years to get my disability diagnosed born with hereditary Hyperekplexia gene mutation SLC6A5 type 3. Its all due to moving to the north west 7 years ago . My heart diagnosed via echocardigram, bubble echocardigram and MRI on my heart over 2020/2021.
My HPX as its shortened to my neurologist in January 2020 didn't know what was wrong so had my blood sent off for whole genome genetically testing. And put me on Clonazepam within 2 weeks after 32 years of limb jerks and 4 bad seizures my limbs where still. It was bliss. Took 2 years to get the diagnosed but that was due to covid hitting March 2020. They forgot to send the results and my neurologist forgot to answer. But we all know what a mad time that was .

But finally having the diagnosed after thinking I was weird for 63 years was a relief even though I was the first patient at the top neurological hospital in the north to be diagnosed with it . My neurologist had to research it not much written about it but for me best thing was the rare disease society gave me a link to a HPX Facebook group been running 17 years ago started by a Brit in the north next city from me. I am not alone and learnt everything my body did and does is all due to my HPX. Everything I learnt and still learning I pass on to my neurologist. He and his team are becoming experts. Have visible and invisible disabilities. Sitting I have been told you aren't disabled but as soon as I move its obvious.

I have been glad a fake ,attention seeking and mentally ill but doctors in 1988 when the limb jerks started but had a GP that always believed me.

I fight for disability rights and try and help people giving advice if asked about various topics to do with disability.
Thats what made me so mad about the Wombles I never thought disabled discrimination would be so be come from the founder and cronies. They tried to gag me the idiots very bad move. Most of them are Christians and the leader lied to here vicar but I get on very well with the vicar even though I an atheist. So she knows the truth of what they did.

CocoPops veered of your diagnose . Thats one of the many things I have found having a mutant gene in my brain receptors does we veer off topic. As those who have met me I can forget what I am saying in a sentence or repeat myself and not know I have said it.

You will have to pace yourself and find ways to do what you want but your way. There is no such thing as normal we are all unquie. Is there a Facebook group with your condition as those with it are the experts. Mine is private group you have to apply to join and we mainly us our names some choose not to . But I like being accepted as me.

They will give you advice when asked,support and you can be honest about how you feel and not judged but helped

I am writing this sitting in bed in Dundee. Yesterday morning my phone pinged just before 3am telling me my first train was cancelled. After how I was treated at Euston Station all had fear came back . I got up checked all my bags . And wrote on the HPX group my fears and felt better writing it down . But I needed have worried. My taxi came at 6am and there was no problems putting me on a different route ,travel assistance all in place at each change.
And the support of got from my friends as thats how I think of them like here we start as strangers but become friends through our words. OK yes I am weird 🤣 .

CocoPops Tue 22-Sept-26 02:42:58

Thanks Shirley. So sorry you got scammed. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction for Christmas

Shirleyw Mon 21-Sept-26 18:41:21

Hi girls, sorry not been about….i got scammed so put me off going on sites for a bit…..was lucky I dealt with it before it got out of hand but it does leave one very wary.

After our holidays over the summer I put on about half a stone but last week lost 2lbs and my weighin Sunday Ive lost 1lb so heading in the right direction….

Sorry you’re not feeling so good cocoapops hope the steroids kicked in.

Weather is still lovely , autumnal early mornings and evening though.

CocoPops Sat 19-Sept-26 00:00:53

Thanks NanKate. That's very encouraging. I feel 75% better on prednisone but am really, really tired in spite of reducing exercise. I have an excellent GP who I 'll be seeing next week. Maybe he'll deem it necessary to increase the dose. Meantime, I am managing dog walks and this morning I enjoyed a chair yoga class.
Sorry that you were misdiagnosed. Great that your husband got off the steroids and feels well.

NanKate Fri 18-Sept-26 08:05:40

Sorry to hear you are unwell CocoPops. I was diagnosed wrongly with Polymyalgia. I was on steroids for 4 years. The good news for you is that you should start to feel better within a short space of time on steroids. My husband had this illness and only had to take the steroids for about a year then decreased them to nothing and he was back to his old self and the illness had gone. Best of luck.

CocoPops Thu 17-Sept-26 15:51:17

I enjoyed reading your latest posts. Yes, so sad to see Stratford's decline. When I'm over for Christmas my son and I venture forth to see a play there.
I have developed an auto- immune disease called polymyalgia rheumatica. The worst of it is the extreme fatigue and I am having to learn to pace myself and rest which goes against the grain! I am taking steroids which increase weight but I am trying to eat sensibly.

NanKate Wed 16-Sept-26 07:55:05

Just read both your interesting posts Whiff you certainly get about and don’t let any physical problems stop you. Well done.

Went to my old home town Stratford upon Avon for a 5 day stay which we thoroughly enjoyed. Having said that Stratford is sadly not what it used to be. Many shops closed however the street where Shakespeare’s Birthplace is was very vibrant.

My two oldest friends from the Midlands met up with us for the day and you would never think we had been apart. We chatted non stop. I first met Ann when I was 16 and Andrew when I was 18. He was my boss’s son. I introduced them at my 21st and they have been together ever since.

I am off to my Thai Chi class this morning, then meeting a friend for coffee tomorrow and on Friday seeing the physio about my arthritic knee.

Haven’t weighed myself yet !

Whiff Wed 16-Sept-26 07:32:13

Hope everyone is ok. Its Flu and covid jab season. Also RS can't remember the other letter and pneumonia jab these you only have once. Booked my flu jab beginning of September get that free . Will book my covid jab have to pay for that. Had my pneumonia couple of years ago. If you are 65 free shingles jabs. Missed getting that one as my birthday was 5 months before the role out of free jabs. Have to wait 2 more years to get it free. I know some are anti vaccine but I have everything I can get . Even with covid jab did get covid couple of years ago but it was only like having a bad cold. Would have been worse if I hadn't had it. Also had shingles but got anti virals within 24 hours so it wasn't anymore painful than the constant pain I am in . Stopped the rash spreading after 2 days and blisters didn't get very big.

Health warning done 🤣

Made our CD on Saturday with the other 2 choirs . It was lovely meeting them. About 30 people came . A few tenor from the Manchester choirs came to boost that section. Only 6 of us Altos. We only have 3 at my choir and I was the only one go. Hopefully we have new members join next week. I will miss the first one as I go to Dundee on Monday last of my hols. But won't miss any of the other ones.

We rehearsed each song 3 times and recorded each one 3 times. We where filmed while singing . It was great fun and wouldn't have missed it for the world. One of the founders said we may do a Christmas concert . I even brought the tee shirt with The complementary chorus choir on the front and choir member on the back .

Afterwards went for Nepalese dinner with 5 from my choir it was lovely getting to know eachother better. Food was delicious excellentservice . Had already been to an Italian restaurant the evening before with a friend I made on GN . Delicious food and excellent service . I had phoned a head and asked for a table so no one could walk behind me. My choir friends sat in place so I didn't have anyone walk behind me. I was last to arrive as the other 5 got the train but that meant walking in the city and I can't walk as fast as them. So had taxi. Got bus to Italian restaurant as it was in close by.

Considering what I ate I still lost quarter of a pound . That was a nice surprise. But expect to put on next week.

I stood for over 2 hours while recording over songs having so much fun and paid the price . Haven't had chronic fatigue since I moved here 7 years ago but it hit me on Sunday didn't get out of bed until 10 . I have to wake at 5 for my first tablets so kept resetting my alarm and got hours extra sleep before the next 2 lots. Glad we didn't have sit fit on Monday teacher on holiday but still did my exercises at home . No move it or lose it yesterday teacher has flu . Still did my usual exercises at home.

My brother and sister in law renewed their marriage vows on Saturday been married 10 years and having a party . When they originally set the date it was when I had booked to go too Dundee then changed their mind . So had to change my date for Dundee . Then they changed it again but I wasn't missing recording our CD.

Once I decide to do or go somewhere its planned and booked months in and I hate changing plans. My life runs on planning and routine has done since I worked it out at junior school. I can do emergencies but rest has to be done my way . Family and friends understand that . But few years ago ended a 5 year friendship as she messed me about. I told her when she asked to be friends in 2018 how my life works . She was coming to stay like she did the year before but last minute one of her 6 cats was ill . OK couldn't be helped . But when she rebooked vist a couple of months later and cancelled for no reason. So told her I was done especially as she told me how lovely it was to be cat free for 5 days. She had still put the cats in the cattery and the owner took the ill cat to the vets. She wondered why I was angry.

I am a good loyal friend but because of my HPX my life runs my way ,its how I cope with visible and invisible disabilities. Especially since my husband died 22 years ago. Once I decide to do something I do it. Once I join a group it doesn't matter how bad my mobility or pain level is I still do it .

What the Wombles did I think they where surprised I left . Being a revengful person I can be if I choose in a way I wished they had carried on with the passive bullying and harassment plus the idiots put it in writing was looking forward to setting the Brain charity on them . Not the members but the leader and 2 lackeys.

I have meet 5 members from GN and they where just as imagined and speak to a couple on the phone. We just clicked. But I am who I am luckily that didn't and doesn't bother them .

Like here we meet as strangers but I feel you can be friends without ever meeting . Words can tell a persons character especially if its over years.

Anyway thats my weird view on the world. Have a good week pears.

Whiff Thu 10-Sept-26 05:39:07

Chester is lovely and because once a man and woman are 60 we are given a free bus/ local train pass can even be used on the ferry. I can go to Chester for free. I changed mine to a disabled pass when I was 66 that way if I have early appointments I go free. There is a bus stop outside the station and bus every 15 mins to take you into the shops. It was a nice day but will be my last visit. When I go on holiday I pace myself but over did it in Chester was having such a lovely time. Got the money back for my tunic it was very hard to resist buying a new one.

Talked to a lot of people. I like talking to men but my daughter hates me doing it . I know she is worried about my safety but when I was at high school it was girls who bullied me but had friends that where boys. Not going to change my ways now.

I didn't pace myself and paid the price mobility and pain wise. Had cake and tea in the cathedral and then sat in the sunshine eating ice cream listening to a husband and wife street musicians. He played electronic violin and she said rock/ folk music. I brought their CD .
I was tired when I got my train so much so one in the city got on the wrong train Luckily realised and got off at the first stop . Back to the city this time getting on the correct train but went to stop past mine because they have a car park and had a taxi home . Just couldn't face more walking to bus stop then walk home. Must have looked tried as the taxi driver offered to walk with me to my door but I thanked him and said I was fine.

Still went to my 2 exercise classes and did my exercises at home but Saturday legs not up to doing my static pedals.

I was already going to buy myself a CD player as we are recording our CD on Saturday with the 2 other choirs here. Yesterday my official tee shirt arrived. Everyone else who ordered one got theirs as well. We are going to be videoed and it will be posted on Facebook. Then some from our choir are going for a meal at a Nepalese restaurant near our homes. Looking forward to the whole afternoon and night.

Friday going to an Italian restaurant with a friend . So expect to put on Sunday.

This week lost 1.5lbs which I am happy about . Only a couple of weeks before I go to Dundee for 5 days . Luckily I don't like Dundee cake.

NanKate have a lovely break where are you going?

Have a good week pears 🍐.

NanKate Fri 04-Sept-26 17:44:08

I remember going to Chester once Whiff I really liked the black and white timber buildings.

Did some ironing today in readiness for my short hols. It must be the first time in 2+ years I have ironed. 😉

Have a good weekend you two. It’s going to be warm here in the south.

NanKate Fri 04-Sept-26 17:40:42

Well done Cocopops for resisting the popcorn. My DH had some at the cinema recently and I couldn’t resist a mouthful or two. Well they were nothing like the Butterkist (is that how it is spelt) ? They were dry so I left him to them.

Whiff Fri 04-Sept-26 06:52:52

CocoPops how is your son I hope is well again . You mentioning popcorn took me back to when we went to see Twister at the pictures. When we went on holiday we always went to the pictures. My husband was in charge of the popcorn. There is a scene where a cow goes flying past then another cow a character says same cow. My husband laughed that hard popcorn flew everywhere. Manged to get what we could off our clothes but when we got outside found we where all wearing some. That was my man a kultz.

Both my grandsons love Spiderman . Love Spidey and friend's a cartoon on TV. They went to see the film where Kiley coyote sues Acme for product failure to blow up road runner. Their dads choice. They all loved it lot. Lot of in jokes for adults but plenty for kids.

When they tried different tablets on me in 1988 to help . Put on steroids but they didn't help so came off them . While bit of weight gain . Still have the after effect of taking them don't laugh but they gave me a hairs on my chin and few by the side of my mouth. They used to be brown now grey. So have to shave them off if going out for the day even after all these years and I only took them for 2 months. Didn't mention in those days facial hair growth don't know if they do now as a side effect.

Hope the tablets help you and you don't get facial hair.

Well off to Chester for the day . Need to return a tunic . I love Seasalt tunics and coats and jackets. Their sizes always fit. Brought some 100% cotton tunics for the hot weather but in a size bigger than I wear so I can exercise in them . Didn't bother trying them on. Only on my hol found out one had side pockets when taking it off they hadn't been sewn up them up. I buy on line usually in the sales not always. Bet I come home with at least one new tunic to replace the faulty one .

Anyway posted this in bits so as not to lose it. Have a good week pears.