Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

🦞 The Lockdown Gang still chatting 🦞

(689 Posts)
Doodle Sun 03-May-26 19:56:19

Yes another new thread. A gentle chat for old friends and new

Grammaretto Tue 08-Sept-26 11:27:55

Thanks ixion I looked into that a year ago. Those were the days when I thought my books were worth more than they were being priced at 😂

Now I think I'll have to pay to have them taken away.

I may try again.

I've asked music man if he can organise uplift of 2 pianos and a harmonium. No reply yet.

My friend couldn't make it last night but another friend who had come to take down the stained glass her DD makes, came instead. She was so appreciative of my cooking I think I will repeat it tonight.

If there's time I want to pick brambles. It's such a bright windy autumn day.

Has anyone heard from Kaimoana?

NotSpaghetti Tue 08-Sept-26 13:00:45

The trouble with easy ways to sell books is they need you to scan a barcode.
Many of ours don't have one .

No bar code means typing everything in.

Grammaretto Tue 08-Sept-26 15:03:37

Shelter have agreed to come next week to take away books. Hooray!

A local auction house has got back to me and is sending someone tomorrow to look around. So things don't look so bleak.

I'm not allowed back to the new house to measure up until the missives are signed but that could be fairly soon.

My friends are coming back tomorrow to help pack books into manageable boxes.

And tonight I will cook a meal for my lovely tenants who leave at dawn to fly home to Nepal.

Doodle Tue 08-Sept-26 18:35:40

Grammaretto how busy you are at the moment. Glad the books are sorted. Hopefully the auction house will com up with some offers, I didn’t realise your tenants were from Nepal., Hope they don’t have any family where the floods were.

Yes I’ve been in touch with Kaimoana on Messanger, we leave each other messages thanks to ixions help.
Our dear friend has a lovely voice and hearty chuckle. Waiting to hear where she might be moved to.
Got rampaging tinnitus again tonight so will have an early night.

NotSpaghetti Tue 08-Sept-26 18:42:43

Yes. Good news about the books.
We had a very close friend who was an antiquarian bilookseller. Sadly no longer with us.

NfkDumpling Tue 08-Sept-26 21:30:12

Wow Grammarettto you have been busy and successful by the sound of it. I hope the auctioneers are keen, really big furniture can be difficult to move. We burnt our enormous wardrobe and just kept the large, heavy, full length mirror which had been on the centre panel. It's still leaning against the wall looking artistic. DH was going to build a frame and support for it, but never got around to it. Wardrobes never wear out so are too easy to come by. I also found a lady who buys old furniture to strip down and wax and paint in Farrow and Ball colours. A table went to her. It did look rather good. Someone like that may be an option.

I've spent today on the boat at the museum and it rained. Very wet rain too. Being a museum its high on the list of places to go on a wet day when on holiday, so plenty of passengers sitting looking out at a very atmospheric, drippy river and broad. They seem to have enjoyed their trips though, and that's the main thing.

I'm so pleased Doodle that you're managing to chat to Kaimoana. And that she's still chuckling. Miss her. xx

NotSpaghetti Tue 08-Sept-26 21:39:34

bilookseller❓️

ixion Tue 08-Sept-26 21:53:14

Bill hook seller?😉

NotSpaghetti Tue 08-Sept-26 23:38:36

Ha ha.
Scary!

Grammaretto Wed 09-Sept-26 20:13:20

It's good to hear that Kaimoana is in contact with you Doodle. I hope she moves to somewhere better than she feared and preferably really good!

The day was full on but in a good way. My friends who are helping me with books, records, CDs and taking heavy loads to the tip, came today and were heroic.

They had printed the floor plan of my new house, enlarged it and we tried to work out where to place furniture in each room. Fun really but sad to realise there's not much I can take which will fit.

A charming auctioneer came and told me he could take some things but I wouldn't get much for them.

Every little helps.

My computer man came as well and has closed away DH's various laptops so that they can be thrown away but what was on them, saved.

This morning my garden helper has mown the grass and it's all looking tidy.

I haven't heard from my lodgers but they left before I woke and haven't returned so hopefully they got away without holdups.

Doodle Wed 09-Sept-26 22:12:07

Evening all. Just got in from church inaugural service for new vicar. Been a full in day. Sorry off to bed. Catch up tomorrow

Grammaretto Fri 11-Sept-26 06:45:26

How was your new vicar Doodle?

I had a nice visit from gransnetter. Stilllearning. She's dog sitting fairly close by. We walked along to see my new house - from the outside.

A removals company booked to give me a quote didn't appear so I shall have to try other companies.

My DDiL in NZ gave me lots of advice over the phone yesterday including telling me her DM had a bonfire going night and day for weeks before she downsized 20 years ago. 😉

It's become much colder here and wet.

I hope all the Lobstars are doing ok.

Doodle Fri 11-Sept-26 20:56:08

New vicar seems ok at the moment Grammaretto
We are all pleased a family have moved onto the vicarage. He seems a pleasant chap. Mid thirties with two young sons.
How nice you got to meet with another Gransnetter.
Can you walk from your house to the new one quite easily then?
Been on a lovely boat trip today with afternoon tea. Really mild and peaceful. Such a nice afternoon

Grammaretto Sat 12-Sept-26 06:26:17

How lovely to have a family in the vicarage Doodle.
The Rector of the church I go to most often is retiring this year and moving out of his small manse. I don't think his replacement has been found.

Your boat trip sounds very nice 🙂.

Yes my new house is less than 10 minutes walk from this one. It's further from the bus stop but not a steep hill.

My friends who've been sorting books for me were here yesterday and we got through
a few hundred! I kept finding books I'd forgotten I had. My friend came for dinner but didn't stay late. I kept yawning.

Someone from Shelter will collect lots on Monday I hope.

I'm going to be a local guide this afternoon as several buildings are open for Doors Open Day. I hope it stops raining.

NotSpaghetti Sat 12-Sept-26 09:03:07

I am amazed by everyone's activity levels.
I'm afraid some days I just can't be bothered - yesterday I received an enormous parcel of archival tissue paper (to protect my work) - very exciting - and by the time I'd manhandled it inside and unwrapped it I ran out of enthusiasm for using it!
Admittedly the boiler person arrived and then I did some washing but still!...

Grammaretto Sat 12-Sept-26 09:20:10

In my case NotSpaghetti I think it's called mania due to impending house move. Hopefully I will recover 🤪

NotSpaghetti Sat 12-Sept-26 09:31:53

Oh Grammaretto.
I do hope you are finding a little time to relax too!

Grammaretto Sat 12-Sept-26 09:59:11

Relax is my default so I am good at that.
I have just been invited to a recital and talk at Dalkeith Palace next weekend so plenty to look forward to.

ixion Sat 12-Sept-26 10:11:16

That's what retirement does to you, I think. Coupled with Old Age.
The spirit of mañana which you dream of can just take over unless one is Very Strict. It's a delicate balance between NS's can't be bothered and the body just not being up to it.

Grammaretto, you have sooooo much going on for you at the mo and strict deadlines to meet, irrespective of the sadness you must feel at leaving. You have my admiration🌷
How lovely a fellow Gransnetter could share your progress.

It always amazes me that, despite making the biggest purchase of one's life, there are only one or two legitimate opportunities to have a closer - informed- look about what one is buying🤷‍♀️. A second viewing, presumably, to confirm suitability before commitment, but how on earth are you supposed to potter round planning where stuff goes, what you need to buy (or get rid of), measuring up for curtains etc, before the day you move in?

How is Mr.J, Jan? I hope his treatment is progressing well.

And NN, still thinking of you🌺

NfkDumpling Sat 12-Sept-26 12:03:05

You can't go wrong with a boat trip Doodle.

I've run out of oomph again. I'm using my early lunch as an excuse to sit down and scrolls reels and stuff. But the lawn mower battery recharge light has now turned green and my yesterday's ironing has now joined last weeks pile so I must make an effort.

Doodle Sat 12-Sept-26 21:00:53

Grammaretto Nice your new home will be somewhere you’re familiar with and close to all the amenities you’re used to.
Do you find it difficult parting with your books?
Ooh recital and talk at a Palace. That sounds a bit special. How nice.
I think all the fresh air yesterday has made me sleepy. I’m sitting here yawning my head off so I’m going to bed.
Our new vicars first service tomorrow. I’m looking forward to it. Our grandsons birthday too so I’ll pop over and see him later, sleep well all xx

Grammaretto Sun 13-Sept-26 19:38:13

Happy birthday to your DGS Doodle.

I am ready to part with most of my books but noone seems to want them 😟

I had a chap round today who was just back from a big fair in York. He found some things he liked but hardly any books!
It's really depressing.

How was your new vicar's service?

ixion you are right about the house buying system. It's mad that I'm spending the largest amount ever on something I've really only glanced at!

Doodle Sun 13-Sept-26 20:11:26

Thank you Grammaretto he and his mum made us laugh tonight in their efforts to make his birthday cake. In the end it all turned out well.
New vicar was very good. Nice sermon about being welcoming and kind. Family are nice too.

NotSpaghetti Mon 14-Sept-26 08:30:04

It's mad that I'm spending the largest amount ever on something I've really only glanced at!

My daughter who was living in London kept missing out on rentals in our town by coming to look. They were taken before she got to see them.

She then decided to buy.
She sent her sister to look at one and bought it unseen.
She's been really happy there. 🤞 you will be too!

NotSpaghetti Mon 14-Sept-26 08:32:23

Just remembered that we met a couple in Italy who bought unseen. They packed up their life in Scotland and moved there.
They saw their house for the first time on removal day.