I haven't sent cards other than to very selected people (mainly older relatives who see the number of cards they get as a barometer of how much they are loved) for years now. I still get for them, but only because they wouldn't understand why I don't send them to others, and there's no point in trying to explain.
Cards clutter the place up, are bad for the planet, cost a fortune to send, are a chore to write, and are a 'tradition' that only benefits the manufacturers. I am not a fan
.
I send birthday cards, as they are particular to the recipient, but I see friends to wish them happy Christmas, and those I don't see I speak to or contact by text or SM. If we've lost touch, we aren't really friends, so I don't see the point of a card.
I give to charity via direct debit regardless of cards, and don't understand the link - my donations are not to card manufacturers, so cutting out sending them doesn't need to be compensated for by a donation to an unrelated charity, and I'm not in the habit of justifying my spending choices to others.
I don't understand the messages saying that people are donating instead of sending cards. Charities get a tiny amount of the cost of cards, and nothing for the stamps, so there is no quid pro quo involved. It just feels like virtue signalling to me. I never saw sending cards in terms of money anyway, and I don't see the need to notify people of my charity donations.
I admit that I can't be bothered to write them, and I dislike the angst they produce. People get 'hurt' if they don't get them, have lists to check who has sent what and who hasn't - that's not how friendship works for me. I give time to friends without expecting anything back, and don't expect them to buy into a manufactured ritual in order to be appreciated by me, either.
I doubt that people will be sending cards in ten years or so.
Richard Osman and his House of Games
Wedding Present Dinner Service.
Sudden pain in back of leg behind knee
My daughter is lying about me and editing me out of her life.



