I am not big on starting new discussions but this topic has exercised my thought recently.
I have been asked to my works Christmas meal - one at a restaurant/hotel. Its around £0 a head but when I got to see the menu I declined.
Now people think I am antisocial but I declined because the menu was awful. There was nothing on it I could eat. Even the Christmas turkey had to have some concoction put over it. The starters were full of things I would never eat in a million years. I thought it might be a ne off but it seems that all meals out now have these modern twists and differences.
What happened to the turkey with sage and onion stuffing , roasts, brussels and carrots with some nice meat gravy. More, what happened to a traditional Christmas pud, or even a cheese ( Cheddar or Stilton for me) and biscuits option?
My work ( as in management) put on a dinner in the canteen just before Christmas - one we get subsidised - and thats still traditional but hotels and resturants seem to have gone mad for anything but .....
I have a bigger problem than it just not being traditional. I get a lot of indigestion these days and I have found much of it is in the fancy sauces, trimmings and all manner of things "modern" in the shops. I have started ( late I know) to make my own food - plain and simple. But Christmas dinner has always been something to look for ward to, traditional and not adulterated!
Is this twist on a theme stuff with all manner of things brought in from elsewhere common now or just where I live? Am I doomed to be forever at home for Christmas with no parties to go to?
New series of Portrait Artist of the Year
Good Morning Saturday 10th October 2026
D'you Reckon That When Trump Dies.......

I’m lucky in that I can eat anything, and love trying new things.