Gransnet forums

Chat

Do You Have Any Strange Memories?

(67 Posts)
Magenta8 Thu 08-Oct-26 11:26:59

I don't think I am unusual in having quite a few random memories that are quite humdrum, do not involve anything momentous but nevertheless are very vivid.

For instance; It was early January and I was waiting outside a shop with my brother, my tiny baby sister was in her large black pram. A lady came up and "What a lovely Christmas present for you both, a beautiful baby." I remember exchanging looks with my brother.

I vividly remember an indoor break at school when the weather was so bad that we were allowed to stay in. We were in the school assembly hall and we were dancing to "Please Please Me" by the Beatles. The record was on repeat and we spent most of the break dancing to it.

I am sure there is a scientific explanation for why we sometimes remember random things but other more momentous occasions are totally forgotten.

JenniRen Fri 09-Oct-26 23:16:52

I remember getting a very sore throat and felt ill so my mother went down to the phone box and called the doctor. Before the doctor came, she got me out of bed to sit on a chair, wrapped in an eiderdown, while she put clean sheets on the bed.

The doctor came and declared I had tonsillitis but he had a new miracle cure called M&B tablets which he produced from his doctor's bag. They were very large so my mother crushed them up in a spoonful of jam. They worked, thankfully.

suelld Fri 09-Oct-26 23:09:49

I also remember going to the local indoor market with my mother some time just after the war and buying fish for dinner, always on a Friday, tho we were not particularly religious. I remember the ration book coming out and my mother asking for some “ rock salmon for the dog “. A cut only suitable for tge dog/ cat then! How times have changed . I don’t remember tinned food for the dog either, I presume it was cooked at home? Tho I do remember a bit later in my parents pet shop I loved to eat the brightly coloured dog biscuits!!

DS54 Fri 09-Oct-26 23:07:31

I have always had very vivid dreams. There are things I don’t know if they are real memories or memories of dreams.

suelld Fri 09-Oct-26 23:04:06

SunnySusie

I remember lying in bed ill with chicken pox when I was about six and our wonderful lady doctor coming in to see me. My much loved Russian doll set was on the dresser and she patiently waited whilst I took all the dolls apart and told her their names. It turned out the doctor had been to see a neighbour who was quite poorly and they mentioned I had the chicken pox so she just called in on her way past to see me. Imagine that happening now!

Not a hope in hell! But it used to be that way! Shame! Some things don’t change for the better!

nexus63 Fri 09-Oct-26 21:42:14

my grandad was blind, my gran was papering the hall, all the little bits she cut, i put paste on and stuck to my grandads room wall, i ran away from her and went head first into the bucket of paste. playing hop scotch with my grans best tea set that i took out of the cabinet. i have so many memories of growing up with my gran.

valdali Fri 09-Oct-26 21:23:08

I remember being in my carrycot at Grans, dropping off to sleep with the hum of lots of people talking at once in my ears.
I remember sitting on Dad's lap in the wing chair in the kitchen he was eating bacon sandwiches & feeding me bits of bacon.
I remember Mum experimenting making "potatoes in their jackets" in the Rayburn - delicious.
I remember being in the manger while Dad milked the cows & them breathing on me (I wouldve been 2).
Such happy memories maybe that's why they're vivid even now.

Wyllow3 Fri 09-Oct-26 20:50:52

☺️ M Dad was always going on about the draft but fortunately I didnt think it was a giraffe.

My very earliest memory I must have been under 2, just. We'd moved north to Hull. Dark rooms, needing attention...

must have been someone not able to keep it up - .

My memory is of a darkish room and my sister lying wrapped up well in a drawer as they had no cot yet. Funny.......just an image....

Macaydia Fri 09-Oct-26 20:34:44

I remember being terrified and incredibly brave for my dad. He was sitting in our livingroom reading the newspaper and he asked me if I could close the door for him because "their was a draft coming in". I was about 4 years old and I obeyed him without saying a word and did it very quickly because I had heard him say, "because there was a giraffe coming in" and I was pretty terrified of the beast getting us !

sazz1 Fri 09-Oct-26 20:26:49

I can remember my first steps. My mum and dad pulled out the settee from the wall and my mum had me in her arms at one end behind it. My dad was the other end holding a lighter. Dad kept telling mum to put me down and she kept saying she will fall. Eventually she put me down and dad lit the lighter. He called me to blow out the light and for mum to let me go. I took my first steps to him, blew out the lighter and fell on the carpet. I've never discussed this with mum and dad ever and don't know anyone who can remember this, as I was under 2 yrs old.
.

GrandmaRosie Fri 09-Oct-26 20:04:38

This thread has brought back so many memories - I’m expecting vivid dreams tonight!

GrandmaRosie Fri 09-Oct-26 20:02:46

Gosh, I remember smacking my best friend during country dancing lesson when she told everyone which boy I liked, just because my mum had said I blushed every time his name was mentioned. Think I was about ten at the time - sorry friend!

Deedaa Fri 09-Oct-26 20:00:58

I remember being attacked by a bantam cockerel when l was about two. He must have been tiny, but he seemed as big as an ostrich to me.

SunnySusie Fri 09-Oct-26 19:53:53

I remember lying in bed ill with chicken pox when I was about six and our wonderful lady doctor coming in to see me. My much loved Russian doll set was on the dresser and she patiently waited whilst I took all the dolls apart and told her their names. It turned out the doctor had been to see a neighbour who was quite poorly and they mentioned I had the chicken pox so she just called in on her way past to see me. Imagine that happening now!

watermeadow Fri 09-Oct-26 19:51:03

One of my earliest memories is going in a boat to have a picnic. On the beach were great rolls of barbed wire from the war and I always hear my mother’s voice singing ‘I’ll take you home again, Kathleen’.
When I asked my mother about that memory she said it was in Japan, when I was only two.

grannybuy Fri 09-Oct-26 19:44:25

We had outside toilets at primary school, and one day in my very first week, at break, I needed to dash straight out to get to the toilet quickly. However, a girl, who remained bossy for the whole seven years we were in the same class, insisted that I put my coat on. I really didn’t have time for that, and the result was that I wet myself. How embarrassing.

Wyllow3 Fri 09-Oct-26 19:29:03

I was 5 years old and my sister was 4.

I was given the responsibility of going to the corner shop up the road for potatoes and one or two other items.

I was told to take the pram for the potatoes, and look after my younger sister when we crossed the Big Road. (maybe one car passed?)

On the way there I noticed these glorious tulips so pretty in a front garden.

On the way back I picked the heads off every one of them and put them on top of the potatoes.

My sister was horrified! She persuaded me to ditch them before we arrived home.

But they were so pretty! I felt...

no guilt whatsoever...🤷‍♂️

LtEve Fri 09-Oct-26 19:25:37

What fascinates me is how different people remember the same events. My sister and I are only two years apart but we remember the same events totally differently, not even just a slight difference.

MayBee70 Fri 09-Oct-26 19:20:49

Lindylou23

I was about 3/4, my dad dancing and singing with me in his arms to Doris Day singing Que Sera Sera. I haven't thought of that for years where're tissues.

My mum used to sing that, too.

62Granny Fri 09-Oct-26 19:20:39

I remember one of the boys in my first primary class kicking the door and crying he wanted to go home, another was a girl spitting on her handkerchief and rubbing her black patent shoes saying her mother would "kill her" if they were dirty we must have been 7-8. I remember their names too but won't say.😂

Oldnproud Fri 09-Oct-26 19:03:41

suelld

I remember going to the local swimming baths with a couple of friends. I must have been 9 ish. I remember being pleased with myself as I had put my one piece swimming costume on under my clothes not to have to get changed when I got there.
We finished our swim , and stripped off our wet costumes, towel dried when I realised I had forgotten to bring any underwear!!
I wasn’t going to put my soaking wet costume back on so towelled off and put on my skirt and top. I remember walking past the old cinema to the bus stop completely naked under my skirt. I had to travel home on the bus also naked! Never told anyone and it must have been warm cos I had no coat only my wet costume rolled up in a towel!
Never forgot the embarrassed feeling !

That reminds me of when I was in the dentist's waiting room one morning, some 30 years ago.

Two grandparents were there with their young granddaughter and had just noticed realised that she hadnt put any knickers on when she got dressed!

They were so embarrassed and frantically trying to get her to sit 'modestly' on a chair, but of course she was too young to either understand or care.

J wonder if she remembers that now 🤣

suelld Fri 09-Oct-26 18:35:44

I remember going to the local swimming baths with a couple of friends. I must have been 9 ish. I remember being pleased with myself as I had put my one piece swimming costume on under my clothes not to have to get changed when I got there.
We finished our swim , and stripped off our wet costumes, towel dried when I realised I had forgotten to bring any underwear!!
I wasn’t going to put my soaking wet costume back on so towelled off and put on my skirt and top. I remember walking past the old cinema to the bus stop completely naked under my skirt. I had to travel home on the bus also naked! Never told anyone and it must have been warm cos I had no coat only my wet costume rolled up in a towel!
Never forgot the embarrassed feeling !

GreyKnitter Fri 09-Oct-26 18:08:21

I remember my grandad rubbing camphorated oil on my back and chest when I had a cold. We lived with my grandparents. He used to warm the bottle and his hands by the coal fire and then rub it on me under my vest and liberty bodice. I think I must have been 4 or 5.

StTrinians Fri 09-Oct-26 18:01:56

Magenta8. I have a memory "like an elephant" (according to my brother). Lol!

jeapurs54 Fri 09-Oct-26 17:53:03

I remember living with my Nan when I was at primary school as mum worked. She used to tell me that of I was naughty that Dicky Potter would come after me, there was a curtain hanging up to cover a cupboard with storage and a step where she said he would come out and this scared me so much so I was rarely naughty just in case I see him.

67notout Fri 09-Oct-26 17:28:28

I vividly remember an incident but more clearly when I pass a particular house. I was walking to our village shop which was some miles away and my grandad was holding my hand, I was 6. He said I am going to say something to that lady in her garden but I will have to hold your hand even tighter then. The lady called out a name and my hand got held so tight it hurt and grandad said ‘she’s gone’ and quickened his step. Poor woman cried and I hadn’t a clue what it was all about. Later I learned my beautiful Nan had died and poor grandad was finding a way he could cope telling people and using me as a support and a bit of a shield too. Every time I see that house, not often now, I see the woman again and my hand being squeezed.