Gransnet forums

Chat

Ruler Of The World (lighthearted)

(67 Posts)
Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 15:49:21

gringrin

On another thread, someone said (in jest), when I’m ruler of the world I’d ……

So if and when you’re ruler of the world, what will you do?

My first move will be to ban all adverts which upset or annoy me, including, but not limited to, Pee Pants, all to do with poo, the adverts for cremations, and those that feel we need to know about their “gush moments”.

Then I’d pass a law about carrier bags which suddenly split or dig deep into one’s palms (even bags for life).

And I’d employ dog wardens everywhere to pick up dog poo and post back through the owners letterboxes, when said owners don’t pick it up.

Finally I’d make non-alcoholic wine taste nice!

How about you??

Peaseblossom Thu 08-Oct-26 19:37:26

Cossy Brilliant! I totally agree with all your choices.

mulberry7 Thu 08-Oct-26 18:07:13

Shysal, I agree with you completely. That would make everything else come right.

Marzipan22 Thu 08-Oct-26 18:05:27

I'd ban dogs from beaches and town centres and parks and everywhere else that they irritate me. Actually I'd ban dogs full stop (ok, except for assistance dogs) but I know that would probably get me banned from Gransnet.

I'd ban anyone making poor quality copies of Cornish pasties. How very dare they!

Also I'd ban ageing.

Oldnproud Thu 08-Oct-26 17:53:35

Sorry about the typo.

And on reflexion, I might have slightly overlooked your "lighthearted" intention, Cossy, as I genuinely would like to put the brakes on this sector!!! 😊

Oldnproud Thu 08-Oct-26 17:41:47

I think I would ban almost all avances in computer technology that have taken place since about 2010.

Going further 'just because we can' isn't necessarily a good thing on any level, from personal to global. In fact, quite the opposite!

SueDonim Thu 08-Oct-26 17:39:17

And all showers would work the same way, so I need never get scalded/frozen in one again.

SueDonim Thu 08-Oct-26 17:37:06

I agree with lots of these. I’d add that all TV’s, cars and tech should operate in the same way, so you didn’t have to remember exactly how each item worked. We’ll have the same plugs & sockets all round the world, while I’m at it. And tablets that pop instantly out of their packaging, instead of needing to wield a knife and ending up with slash injuries on your hand while trying to liberate them.

Azalea99 Thu 08-Oct-26 17:28:52

@Gracie. You get my vote!

Oreo Thu 08-Oct-26 15:22:50

I would degree that iced doughnuts would henceforth contain no calories.
That half the population of the world were sent to colonise another planet.
That every town and city centre contained a beautiful sculpture and fountain ( as in other European countries)
Plus plentiful benches.
That dog owners and their pooches must only sit outside pubs cafes and restaurants.Living dangerously on here now aren’t I?😁

Nanny27 Thu 08-Oct-26 15:18:34

I would ban hands free mobile phones. I really hate having to listen to everyone else's conversations.
Im wearing a tin hat to say I'd also ban artificial grass. Looks dreadful in my opinion.

Olivebranch Thu 08-Oct-26 15:15:06

I would banish Putin to desolate Siberia.

RobertaDanversWalker Thu 08-Oct-26 14:12:48

I would ban Elvis impersonators. Some fat bloke thinks if he puts on a white jump suit, a black wig and some comedy black sideburns and suddenly he looks like Elvis? I think not! Let's see you try and impersonate him in his prime! Honestly, hangings too good for them!

Grantanow Thu 08-Oct-26 14:10:16

Too late. The buffoon has claimed the title.

foxie48 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:38:56

Galaxy

We better not be in charge foxie, we would end up in a cycle of banning. We are probably secret authoritarians.

If I was going to be "Ruler of the world" I'd need to be an obvious authoritarian or no one would do as I said, so it's very unlikely I'd succeed in getting anything banned.

Casdon Wed 07-Oct-26 20:33:11

Other than political things, I would ban whingeing about how bad things are in the UK, and I’d ban idiots who drive massive high vehicles with main beam on from driving anything bigger or more upmarket than a Fiat Panda. I would also impose a ban on all spiders and flying insects coming into peoples homes.

Lollin Wed 07-Oct-26 20:31:54

This has instantly brought to memory Harry Seacombe’s If I Ruled the World, which if I were ruler would have me waving my wand and hoping that the lyrics would come true, banishing all that’s scary along with all the annoyances too smile

V3ra Wed 07-Oct-26 20:22:29

Finally I’d make non-alcoholic wine taste nice!

I agree with this! Some are truly awful... 😑

However I have to say that as a family we find Kylie Minogue's alcohol-free sparkling rosé, well chilled, quite acceptable 🥂

I order from Tesco but I imagine other supermarkets stock it as well.

Gingster Wed 07-Oct-26 20:10:04

BAN CHRISTMAS Grannybags. How could you!!!!

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 20:03:29

I graciously assent Cossy crown

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 19:53:02

Oreo

I would decree that only well made clothes were offered for sale.
That only flags of the British Isles should be flown here.
That all Turkish barber shops / vape shops / Vietnamese nail bars and any other place that’s an obvious money laundering outfit be closed down forthwith.
That dark Bounty bars be brought back.
That Police and nursing Colleges be re-instated.
That all fun sized ( disappointingly tiny) chocolate bars vanish from the shelves.
That any shop assistant suffers a small taser shock if they say ‘ we don’t stock it there’s no call for it’ or fail to acknowledge the presence of a customer in any way.😁
I would also fine heavily those who snatch a parking space while you are obviously there first but they push in.
That’ll do for starters.

Oh and Teacher Training College too please.

AGAA4 Wed 07-Oct-26 19:48:39

I would ban all wind and rainstorms that cause severe flooding and electricity cut outs.
Pavement parkers who cause people especially mums with prams and wheelchair users to go into the road to get passed should have their cars impounded permanently.

Fallingstar Wed 07-Oct-26 19:46:08

I would make sure that everyone would have access to clean drinking water and free health care. Would also make kindness, politeness, and gentleness part of the educational curriculum.

OldFrill Wed 07-Oct-26 19:41:17

I'd make snow warm and rain dry.

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 19:25:33

I would decree that only well made clothes were offered for sale.
That only flags of the British Isles should be flown here.
That all Turkish barber shops / vape shops / Vietnamese nail bars and any other place that’s an obvious money laundering outfit be closed down forthwith.
That dark Bounty bars be brought back.
That Police and nursing Colleges be re-instated.
That all fun sized ( disappointingly tiny) chocolate bars vanish from the shelves.
That any shop assistant suffers a small taser shock if they say ‘ we don’t stock it there’s no call for it’ or fail to acknowledge the presence of a customer in any way.😁
I would also fine heavily those who snatch a parking space while you are obviously there first but they push in.
That’ll do for starters.

Galaxy Wed 07-Oct-26 19:24:40

We better not be in charge foxie, we would end up in a cycle of banning. We are probably secret authoritarians.