Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday 5th October 2026

(61 Posts)
Michael12 Mon 05-Oct-26 04:57:45

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but dry here in Brackley at the moment.
Plans for the day, the usual routine bus trip to Bicester , hopefully chat to people I know, do a shop.
Return for lunch, and watch TV.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

glammagran Mon 05-Oct-26 08:24:49

Good morning from Wiltshire.

Had a great weekend after weeks of very little going on except illness.

We met DS at Barrs reclaimation yard in Hungerford where we had lunch in the busy café there though it was warm enough to sit outside. DGS1 was at a swimming competition in Sheffield, representing his county and taking part in a relay so came on his own with his dog. So lovely to see him. He said his son at 15 has overtaken him in height so he will certainly make six feet when he stops growing. DGD2 was at her drama group in Newbury. Lovely to see DS he is such good company.

We then drove onto Reading and stayed over with DD1 and her DH. We didn’t see DGD1 either as she’s back at Uni. DD1 made me a delicious coffee and walnut cake for my birthday last week. We went to the fab Jndian in Twyford. Theresa May and her husband sometimes go there. We left about midday to drive home.

School pickup later today for DGD3 and DGS2.

I’m pleased to read StillEarning has been discharged from hospital and is now back home and being looked after. Good luck with the tooth extraction Baubles.

Have a good day everyone.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 05-Oct-26 08:19:59

Morning all from West Oxfordshire.

Commiserations to all of you suffering with dental adventures and others with various problems.

Our cleaner should be here this morning. I’ll do a Waitrose trip at some point.

I have a new online V&A course starting today. It is on the Georgians - my favourite era after the Victorians.

Have a good day everyone.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Mon 05-Oct-26 08:17:49

Excellent news to hear that Stilllearning is home from hospital now and that importantly, the reason for her illness has now been ascertained. Upwards and onwards now Stilllearning. Rest up. We all hope to see you posting again when you’re ready.

dragonfly46 Mon 05-Oct-26 08:17:21

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire.

Nothing much on today except hopefully the gardener coming.
I may have to take DH to the optician Ashe had a bad eye yesterday.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Marydoll Mon 05-Oct-26 08:07:41

Good morning all from a wet Glasgow, where it is 12°C.

Was the gentleman, being facetious, perhaps GM, because you were working so hard? If not, you should have challenged his rudeness. I thought you were in charge of the kitchen.
At least you had a dishwasher. At our last function, we had 180 people, with food and a bar and we had to go back the next, despite having plenty of helpers.

Baubles, I hope all goes well today.

I am so pleased Stilllearning is home. I spent five days in the QEUH a few years ago, for exactly the same reason. One of my heart drugs was slowing down my heart, after years of no problems. It took days to work out what was wrong.
I think something like that is happening again.
Hoping you feel better soon, Silllearning 💐

Belĺa♥️

I wasn't long back from church, when I heard the dulcit tones of the fishwife aka Babydoll, calling for me from outside the house.
She was in top form and delighted us with her antics, She has such a zest for life.♥️

Today, I won't be doing much, apart from sorting out the money for the counters and tidying up the church.
I don't feel all that well, a rest in the conservatory is the plan.
Safe journey Ash and ODD.

My tablet has frozen and I can't preview, so please forgive any typos.
Have a pleasant day.

harrigran Mon 05-Oct-26 08:05:25

Good morning from sunny NE where a high of 19° is expected today.
I will be having my flu and covid vaccination at lunchtime. Nothing else on the calendar today.
Have a good day everyone.

Liberty Mon 05-Oct-26 08:04:18

Good morning from a dull looking Suffolk where I hope the sun will appear shortly to dry the load of washing soon to finish in the machine.

I realised yesterday as I put a load on the line near the pond that there was no sign of the family of moorhens who have been living in their nest on its edge for at least 3 generations.

I hope they have found water nearby as the large bowl I put out for them seems to have been ignored.

We are off to the mobile phone shop in Tesco in a nearby town and DH will come to ‘advise’ me on which new one he thinks I will like. Coffee and cake in the Costa there is his reward!

I hope today is a good one for all especially those suffering from aches and pains.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Mon 05-Oct-26 08:04:00

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s dry but showers are forecast. 19°C though so still nice and mild especially when the sun breaks through.

Last night I was upset to receive a late evening call from one of my LWW friends in Málaga to let me know that our other resident LWW friend’s husband had died yesterday afternoon. It was such a shock to everyone. He was 81 and had been in hospital less than a week for ‘tests’. The family were waiting for results. Turned out it was cancer.

My poor friend. She was my immediate thought on waking. I had written out a jokey birthday card yesterday with a small gift in the envelope ready to post to Spain this morning but that seems inappropriate now - or does it? I’m thinking I ought to buy and send a sympathy card today instead. Or send both?? Honestly I’m so indecisive. Both options seem wrong on some level.

I’m meeting friends for coffee later. I’ll ask for their advice. I’d hate to do the wrong thing.

Gingster Mon 05-Oct-26 07:58:59

Good morning and I’m up and ready for the builders.
We’ve already had one delivery of things for the new roof., at 7 o’clock.

Yesterday was another busy one with ds1 here on and off , loading car and tip run, clearing out conservatory and taking down if blinds. We have a large lounge so everything is piled up in here .
We ve decided that the carpet will need to be dumped and a new one ordered. Might as well do it now whilst the room is empty.

Today I’ll have to go back to the pharmacy and hope that my other eye drops are there. Only one lot given on Saturday 😡. A young assistant who probably didn’t realise one lot is kept in the fridge.

Then up to the Bank to transfer money for the roof, I’ll pop into the Post Office and ask if they’ll renew my passport. Apparently they can do it all there .who knew. No good for Dh as he can’t get there so we’ll have to do his in line 😖.

I’m meant to be picked up by my friend at lunchtime to go to the U3A meeting and pay for a trip, but I’ll have to cancel as too much going on here and I can’t leave Dh too long.

Bellasnanna you make me sad when you say you’re unwell and lonely. Count your blessings , I know it’s easily said. 💐.
Hope your day goes better Madeleine
Trouble free journey 🤞 Ash

I also love to hear about all your daily doings, some short, some long. It’s a lovely start to the day.
Take care all my virtual friends. 🌻

Grammaretto Mon 05-Oct-26 07:52:51

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders.
Good news re Stilllearning!. Thanks Baubles.

A fabulous full day with the house alive with family for probably the last time. Masses of food, fizz and chat.
DGD had baked 3 cakes!

We walked along to my new house in a posse and they all approved but suggested ways to improve it - especially the garden.

I'd better get up and read posts later.

Hope everyone has a good day.

HelterSkelter1 Mon 05-Oct-26 07:49:17

Good morning from a quite mild N Surrey. I worked in the garden yesterday and it looks much tidier, emptier but tidier.

The squirrel has been digging holes in the grass which are just the right size for me to catch my foot in and wrench an ankle. So I must fill those in. It could be a fox of course. One of the low shrubs at the bottom of the garden has a round large depression in it a sleeping fox size. I don't mind him coming to the garden as I did have a family of rats under the shed and he may deter them. Hopefully they will upsticks and depart.

Today is a paperwork day and a few small jobs involving the post office, the telephone and the iron. So satisfying to cross thrm off the long To Do list.

A good Monday to all.

Redcar Mon 05-Oct-26 07:34:38

Good morning everyone from mid Essex, grey sky this morning but a bright warm day is forecast. I went to DD2’s yesterday afternoon for a roast dinner. It was beef with Yorkshire puddings and lots of vegetables and was delicious. I rarely cook a roast for myself.

I have my flu jab this morning and a pile of ironing to do. If it brightens up I may do more gardening, there’s plenty to do out there.

baubles I hope the tooth extraction goes well and heals quickly. Thank you for the news of stillearning

I hope all medical appointments go well today.

ash safe journey to the Sarthe, hopefully a calm crossing today.

Have the best day possible everyone.

Marzipan22 Mon 05-Oct-26 07:30:49

Good morning from Cornwall where I've woken up late because I stayed up sewing late last night, silly wotsit, as I have to get a bus soon to my new sewing group 'tribe'.

Having bussed to a superstore to buy my granddaughter's birthday present yesterday Vodafone offered me a free coffee at a nearby café so I sat with a large white chocolate mocha (priced £5.10 yikes) and enjoyed reading my book for an hour.

Then forgot that the Sunday buses have changed recently so I ended up coming home via bus/train/bus for just a 10 mile journey. 😁

Must dash now otherwise I'll miss today's bus. Later I have loads of books to return to the University library. I can borrow them for up to a year, what a privilege, but haven't. 😉

ginny Mon 05-Oct-26 07:29:51

Good morning from N. Bucks. Dull at the moment but a little sunshine forcast later this morning. I think we will soon really be feeling the Autumnal chill.
There is a pile of ironing to catch up on which is not my favourite job but it has been sitting there since last Monday so needs must.
This afternoon I have my flu jab and once home must write a short article about our craft club for a local magazine.
Wishing all a good day with hopefully some relief for our poorly GNs .

EkwaNimitee Mon 05-Oct-26 07:27:18

Good morning Mick and everyone from a rather warmish Carlisle, it's 15°C currently, a bit of a change from yesterday morning.
I had a good night's sleep till 4am when I woke hot and shivery with a fast pulse, the latter may well have been a result of a dream I couldn't remember. But my kidney infection took a turn for the worse yesterday and obviously isn't improving so hopefully I can get hold of a doc this morning.
It will be a quiet day though I will try and pace myself through the usual chores like bed changing and vacuuming.

Thanks Baubles and I wish Stillearning a good recovery.
Good luck at the dentist, there seems to be an outbreak of tooth extractions amongst GNers lately!

Have a good day, everyone.

brook2704 Mon 05-Oct-26 07:22:39

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it feels mild with some light grey clouds
Thank you baubles for letting us know about stilllearning, I hope she’s feeling much better soon
It’s my eldest Dgs 13th birthday today so we’re looking forward to seeing him later after school. In the meantime I’ve a volunteering session this morning and then a bit of food shopping to keep me busy
Hope everyone has the best day they can, take care all 💐

GrannyGravy13 Mon 05-Oct-26 07:13:41

Good morning from an overcast S E Essex, it’s currently 13° with a high of 21° . I think when the cold weather arrives it will be rather a shock.

Gym this morning, then The Imp and 11yr old are here for a sleepover.

Thinking of our poorly morning friends 🙋‍♀️

karmalady Mon 05-Oct-26 07:11:54

Good morning from s somerset, sunny later, after fog

Allotment yesterday and I put the onions and garlic in and brought 13 medium leeks home. It all looks tidy up there and I did hoe because the weedlings will die without rain. I did clean and cut all the leeks, which had a much stronger smell probably because of concentrated juices, lack of rain. The soil is ok on top but rock hard below. Anyway they are all in the freezer. I will be collecting the remaining 30+ over the next few months, always useful to have ready to use. I enjoyed the cycling and the chats

New dress pattern copied and I made a bish- bash -bosh calico bodice to see if it would slip over my head without a back fastening and it does, bodice fits too, so the dress is cut-out

I have a dental checkup at lunchtime, so I will be driving today and I`ll look into the deli shops while there. I need to tidy this morning and just get straight before I leave

Roses what you said about wearing jewellery, I could empathise, I have lovely natural jewellery like jade and various stones but I only ever wear my gold studs. I want to change that and make the effort too

latedecember1963 Mon 05-Oct-26 06:58:46

Good morning everyone from a still dark Lancashire.
DH has left for the office and it's still peaceful here.

Thank you for the update on Stillearning, Baubles. Sending her get well wishes. 🙏🌹 Hope your tooth extraction goes ok.

Well done on rescuing the cake, Greyduster. Don't say a word to your GS, he'll just woofle it down as lads are wont to do! 🤣

Glad the vicar's farewell was a sucess, GrandMattie. I think some men think they're being witty with comments about slacking etc and have no concept of the behind the scenes work that goes into making an event run smoothly. Grrrr!

What a moving memory of your Grandad, Madeleine. I'm sure you're right about the horses bringing comfort to the soldiers. There was an episode of the new version of All Creatures Great and Small where Siegfried alluded to this.

Time for a shower before the mighty atom wakes up.
Wishing you all the best day possible, this really is a lovely oasis each day. 🌻

kittylester Mon 05-Oct-26 06:54:00

Good morning all from a mild North Leicestershire.

A quiet day in prospect here. DH has a hair appointment first thing but that is the only thing set in stone.

Yesterday, I reflected on how this thread had changed but didn't criticise anyone.

Have the best day possible.

RosesandLilac Mon 05-Oct-26 06:51:00

Good morning, I thought it looked a bit damp out earlier, I welcome any rain we get here in south Glos.

I did another bit of garden tidying yesterday, it’s getting there. I frustrates me that in the past I could have done the front garden in on session, now it’s a bit every day. How much things have changed this year for me….p
I did get the bedding washed and dried, it was so warm in the sunshine, I brushed the patio and had a chat with my neighbours too; I handed them a bag of red apples over the fence.

I need to go to the post office today to post a small parcel to DD, I will have a wander around the village while I’m out.
More gardening and then I will start something art-wise.
I hope today goes well for you x
🌹

Usedtobeblonde Mon 05-Oct-26 06:41:10

Good morning from a very dark Stockport.
I have put the heating to come on for a couple of hours this morning as, after a lovely day yesterday, the Erving was chilly and the house felt cold.

My GD fetched me to their new home for a roast dinner, it was nice and I enjoyed but their own choice is not for conventional roasts but lots of pasta, rice, spicy type of food and to be very frank it showed, however their company and generosity was so very much appreciated.
We drove home to the most glorious sunset all of the way and marvelled at nature at its best.

A quiet day today which is my norm, some laundry to catch up with and generally tidying after my GS being home all weekend.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Georgesgran Mon 05-Oct-26 06:23:15

Good Morning from a dark Durham, where we might get a shower today.
I met DD2 and DGS2 and am worried that she isn’t well - her disability affects a lot of unseen problems.
I have an electrician coming at 8am - everything crossed that he can do 2 simple jobs which have been ongoing since February - I’ve been let down by 4 others, so far! Depending on his work, I’ll meet my friend for coffee at our usual time, or later.
I too enjoy reading what other GNs get up to - it reminds me that we are all different, bar our advancing years!

Best wishes to all. X

Melanie61 Mon 05-Oct-26 06:20:30

Good morning from Sheffield

Just about to get up and go for a walk. It’s still dark so takes a lot of effort. Just another year of working then I can get up a bit later.

I have my prayer group this morning and then I’m working this afternoon .

baubles I was told that upper molars heal quicker than lower and they’re easier to extract so hopefully things will go okay for you .

I had a successful day yesterday choosing some tiles for the outside toilet. They were actually the first ones we saw. We went to another shop and couldn’t be bothered to search about so we went back and bought them. They were a very good price and they are lovely

Take care everyone flowers

madeleine45 Mon 05-Oct-26 06:07:39

Good morning Michael and all GN's on a very dark and still morning in North Yorkshire. It most certainly hasnt been a good morning for me! A rubbish night, with my back giving me a lot of pain, not helped by suddenly sneezing which hurt my back, as it was unexpected. I am really struggling today, and of course things fell on the floor, which I at first attempted to pick up but had to wait until I could go and get my grabber, couldnt bend down at all. Shall have to hope that a shower will help a bit.

Yesterday turned out quite differently than I had expected, but pleasant. I had struggled to get going, but a shower helped a bit. However I knew that there was no chance of either doing any weeding or attempting to do any ironing. It was going to have to be a day of seeing what I could manage. I also was feeling very very tired, but saw that as a good thing, because after the horrible week I have had, I was at last letting myself acknowledge how tough it had been and stopped trying to force myself to keep going.

It was very irritating but probably a good thing, that I kept dozing off in the middle of doing things, and on one occasion woke to find my foot perilously close to treading on my precious glasses! I was glad of having radio sound as I was listening to something and fell asleep in the middle of it.

The weather was quite sunny and pleasant, but they forecast rain later. I looked at my local paper and decided that , as it was not a day for trying to accomplish jobs here I would make the most of the weather, and then decided to go to the URC church where they were holding a harvest festival. I was struggling to get myself ready, but went off on the yellow peril and was just in time for the service. I knew the pastor as this is part of the same circuit as my swaledale churches and it was a lovely service. I had left the buggy on the actual path, as it was all cobbles elsewhere and couldnt manage to park it up there, too painful.

A good service with all the beloved hymns except of course I missed having one with reference to the sea as we used to have when I was a child in the east riding. After the service they had coffee which I was happy to join them with and meet and chat with some of the congregation, but what I had not known about was that they had a harvest lunch to which I was invited. It was a simple lunch of sandwiches and salads and little pork pies and sausage rolls. There was plenty so I didnt feel I was putting them out and enjoyed the unexpected pleasure of something I hadnt organised and a variety of things. The service had of course been about thankfulness for harvest and the sermon was looking at the sense of worldwide harvest, looking at the many things we use everyday without thinking of the worldwide places they all come from, so she had pepper and cinnamon and chilli and bay leaves, which are the sorts of things we have on our shelves and we looked at the places they all came from , and saw the world in our kitchens. We spoke of the fairtrade and how we can try and support many growers far and wide. It reminded me of many years ago when our methodist church raised money to help women farm and become independant , and we bought goats and pigs for them.

So I came away and had a bit of a ride up the highstreet while it was very quiet, which allowed me to look in shop windows, without blocking any body on the buggy. I then came home, and did manage to go through one pile of clothing, sorting out summer things to go away, winter things to hang up, but didnt make any attempt to do any ironing or anything else, but later watched antique road show and the play, so physically not a great day, but mentally restful and pleasant, and think that the various naps were a help to at last get a bit of sleep.

Today is going to have to be see what I can manage, so no good making great plans, apart from getting down to reading the letter about my eyes carefully, then contacting some help lines to hear what they have to say and hopefully the way will become clear to me , as to what I need to do. At the moment absolutely none of the options are anything I want to do, but doing nothing and sticking my head in the sand is no good either, and I will stick to my attitude, that I have always wanted to do, which is be independant, take advice but it is up to me to make decisions about myself and live with the consequences. That has to be the way for me in hard things as well as easy things. I feel I must find out as much as possible and then I think my idea is to make myself a little picnic and coffee and go up to my special place in Swaledale. It is my place of calm and solace and memories of my husband and my granny. When I am there I am able to see the broader picture and ask myself what would they have said, and often when I am there, things become clear somehow without much hassle. Hopefully it will work its magic for me again. We shall see. I shant be going up there today I dont think so ideas will have time to percolate through for a day or two.

Well I hope you have a good trip Mick and see a friend or two. Greyduster, well done for rescuing the cake, hope the jab goes well and you get your walk this afternoon. Baubles good luck at the dentists, and hope making poppies helps you to distract yourself for a bit. Last year in Thirsk they had the usual lovely show of red poppies, but also made some purple ones for the animals who di so much in the war, so the dogs and horses and the pigeons etc who all helped. My grandfather talked very little about his time in the Somme and Ypres but he did speak of his horse, and I think the horse gave him someone to listen to him and touch and allow himself to say how frightened he was etc. I hope all goes well for Stillearning and she will be back here soon.

Well just got some lovely Elgar on the radio and time to see how well I can hobble in search of much needed coffee and some breakfast. Still absolutely black outside cant see even the outline of the tree, so no idea what the weather is going to be like. Wishing you all a good day and some success, whether it is getting that job finally done, or shutting the door firmly on the jobs and going out to meet friends, enjoy what comes.