Gransnet forums

Chat

Nodders - silly and annoying

(50 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 30-Sept-26 01:42:07

I don’t know if it happens much in the UK but every time a politician speaks publicly here there is a line of people behind him/her nodding . Up and down,up and down. Do they realise how absolutely ridiculous they look ? Today there was a blonde female stood behind Albo, our PM and she was nodding so much she looked as though she needed surgery and a rod put into her head to keep it upright.

suelld Thu 01-Oct-26 14:54:12

Calendargirl

It’s a bit reminiscent of the nodding dogs you used to see on the back of peoples cars, sitting on the parcel shelf, nodding away.

That’s what I thought this thread was going to be about. Also never heard of nodders in relation to contraceptives???

MartavTaurus Thu 01-Oct-26 14:58:23

Peaseblossom

MY62 RR AR KH? Bugger acronyms! 😡 Fed up with having to ask.

RR was easy to guess, the bob hair style of Rachel Reeves, though I thought she found what really suited her towards the end.

KH the outspoken, often rude Katie Hopkins, though she's not too bad in real life. It's done for effect.

AR well, let's not go there, but she of the green trousers suit fame looked really nice with her new swishy hairstyle this week.

JenniRen Thu 01-Oct-26 14:59:35

Oh, well done

I was just going to post:
I think RR is Rachel Reeves (although could be Rob Rinder, Ronald Reagan, or others?)
AR Angela Rayner probably?
Is KH a typo? There are some MPs with those initials but none so rude!

MartavTaurus Thu 01-Oct-26 14:59:54

I've noticed the nodders too amongst our politicians.

User77 Thu 01-Oct-26 15:10:33

I’ve noticed the nodding too. I think they must have been told to do it. Nobody would do it naturally to the degree they are nodding. It looks ridiculous doesn’t it.

Colls Thu 01-Oct-26 15:11:51

Very annoying! As was that phase of every politician had to be standing in front of a huge flag - or wear badges with their flag on. Pathetic.

DrWatson Thu 01-Oct-26 15:23:23

For the OP, there is a known 'thing' in TV interviews where the director cuts to shots of the interviewER, nodding 'sagely' in response to the interviewEE's answers - if they've found a politico who actually answers a question that is . . .

StTrinians Thu 01-Oct-26 15:45:50

Nanna8..I doubt that they have considered it. Most of them are not very self aware. Others are so self aware that they wouldn't notice. Rather like when you are dressed for a formal event, driving to venue, or even seated in the venue, say church, you look across at your spouse and say, "Oh no..."

Luap1 Thu 01-Oct-26 16:12:58

I ve heard of roger dodgers and party ballooons but i ve never heard of nodders

Peaseblossom Thu 01-Oct-26 16:27:21

Can't say I've noticed it generally amongst acquaintances.

winterwhite Thu 01-Oct-26 16:34:45

I’m not sure people realise they’re doing it. It may be partly concentration and agreeing silently.

Wolfie59 Thu 01-Oct-26 17:04:52

Calendargirl

MT62

Who was ‘KH’?

Absolutely.

Harv1 Thu 01-Oct-26 17:30:05

Yes Jennyren I totally agree, they all look so Pathetic it’s infuriating to think these daft beggars are running our Country …..

MartavTaurus Thu 01-Oct-26 17:35:54

Wolfie59

Calendargirl

MT62

Who was ‘KH’?

Absolutely.

I told you that at the top of this page.

Am I correct MT62?

Mojack26 Thu 01-Oct-26 17:57:17

Yes happens in UK too! It always reminds me of these nodding dogs,when I was a child, that used to sit on parcel shelf in car.🤣🤣🤣. A load of sychphants towing the party line! They look ridiculous

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 18:07:34

Calendargirl

MT62

Who was ‘KH’?

Katie Hopkins

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 18:15:43

Peaseblossom

MY62 RR AR KH? Bugger acronyms! 😡 Fed up with having to ask.

Oh sorry peaseblossom,
Rachel reeves, Katie Hopkins ( didn’t want slated for mentioning her ha), & Angela Rayner

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 18:17:38

JenniRen

Oh, well done

I was just going to post:
I think RR is Rachel Reeves (although could be Rob Rinder, Ronald Reagan, or others?)
AR Angela Rayner probably?
Is KH a typo? There are some MPs with those initials but none so rude!

Well done guessed in one 😂

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 18:18:24

Shel1951

Its even better to watch if you hit the mute button

😂😂😂

semperfidelis Thu 01-Oct-26 18:35:54

I think nodding is completely acceptable. There is so much discord in the world that it's good to see gestures of agreement.

Delila Thu 01-Oct-26 19:04:15

Nice if you can view it in that positive light, semperfidelis, but I find it distracting.
Somebody should enlighten the front-row nodders (sorry, did try to think of another word) that, far from attracting agreement or approval, it’s an absolute turn-off.

Shel1951 Fri 02-Oct-26 07:39:29

Never heard of nodders either, in my distant youth in Camden they were known as jollybags

AuntClarasDoorknobs Fri 02-Oct-26 08:43:54

If they were to show the opposite side of the chamber, they will be shaking heads, showing a more negative response. Not to mention low growling, like an uncomfortable Staffordshire bull terrier .

Whingey Fri 02-Oct-26 18:52:51

I called them Johnny bags.joke about punk rockers.man puts music on and starts having sex.girl says is that Johnny rotten? He says no I only used it 5 times!