Breakfast out is a winner for me.
Good Morning Friday 9th October 2026
Sign up to Gransnet Daily
Our free daily newsletter full of hot threads, competitions and discounts
Subscribe
If I’m not working on a Sunday we often try to go out to lunch,
Nothing fancy or expensive but it’s one of life’s small enjoyments and we take Mum with us. A treat for her too, tho she’s always been a really good cook it’s nice for her to not have to.
Do others try to do the same, or if retired prefer to go out to lunch midweek when it’s quieter?
Breakfast out is a winner for me.
I love eating out. Brunch or dinner especially. I went downtown yesterday. As I walked away from the first store towards the next one, I spotted a place that serves nourishing salads. In I popped and opted for a mixed green salad, a quinoa salad with black beans etc and grilled tofu. I gobbled it up outside in the sunshine and vowed to eat out more often.
It makes sense if retired to go out to lunch midweek when quiet.
Sunday means we can eat lunch out en famille tho and I do love a roast beef or turkey meal.
I think the Beach Hut is a cafe/ restaurant in fact it rings a faint mental bell with me, is it at a coastal resort on the South Coast?
Shel1951
I take mt granddaughter out in the morning after shopping to the Beach hut, we have drink,coffee and drinking chocolate and cake then I drop her home ,but we have Sunday dinner at home,
Ooh, is the 'beach hut' at a real beach ? It sounds nice !
I like a late weekday lunch, its lovely and quiet, I dont eat a lot but its a relaxed time, get best seats, etc.
Country pubs with a nice river walk or similar but there is one on the edge of our city with views absolutely south facing and sunny.
Hmm. nice weekday treats.
I don't like meat, roasts, neither do DS/family and my tum says more small meals not big ones.
I like fish, so look out for it. 🙂
AuntieE
I rarely eat out. When I do, I usually experience that I could have made whatever dish I order better myself, and certainly much more cheaply.
So for me, eating out is about the company I am in, not the food.
But I honestly prefer to invite good friends to my place and cook for them, than to join them in a restaurant.
When you price your own meals do you include the cost of heating and maintaining your house, council tax, plus staff costs?
No MT62, veg yes, which suits me.
I rarely eat out. When I do, I usually experience that I could have made whatever dish I order better myself, and certainly much more cheaply.
So for me, eating out is about the company I am in, not the food.
But I honestly prefer to invite good friends to my place and cook for them, than to join them in a restaurant.
Gin
We went to a local large garden centre this week to buy bulbs. We arrived at about 12 pm but could not find an empty parking space and had to park at the furthest spot. Wondering what special event was happening we made our way in to see the restaurant full of white haired diners. Apparently it is like this on all weekdays. Meals look reasonable, not exciting but save people cooking. I think I would be happy too if I could persuade my OH who hates eating out as he is so fussy.
I think care homes ( at least those in this area) take groups of residents to these places for lunch as it's cheaper than them providing a meal and is also an outing for them.
I love going out for brunch/lunch any time other than weekends…I’m not a big fan of cooking or baking..that gene missed me but mother and sister loved being in the kitchen..
Very rarely had Sunday lunch at home as a child, just not a tradition. Then when married husband worked shifts and only had 1 weekend in 4 off so limited Sunday lunch. Then as part of his job he was away from home a lot. Ocasionally when the children arrived Sunday lunch was on the menu but as a whole has never been regarded as a must have on a Sunday. One of the children basically due to his wife's tradition and where they live they more often than not have a Sundsy lunch.
We go out for lunch most Fridays, it's quieter and usually a more varied menu - although I do love a Sunday roast!
We often go for a long dog walk on Sundays either the South Downs or the beach and stop off for Sunday lunch . I love eating out as I don’t to cook or clear up . We used to take my mum out sometimes, but now she’s in a wheelchair , it’s harder , plus she finds a lot of places very loud and echoing and struggles to hear the conversation.
None of my sons have ever taken me out for Sunday lunch, or any other lunch come to that.
Jaxjacky
Whilst we’re talking about roasts, what’s with the giant Yorkshire on every plate?
Is it taking up space from the more expensive meats on the plates?
Yorkshires used to be with beef only, I don’t like them much so request none on my plate.
Do you find you get more meat on your plate?
We often have lunch out with friends as we don't much like going out at night now. It's a very social occasion here in France and never rushed, we don't do much for the rest of the day. Retirement has its advantages.
Thanks for comments.
We all had a delicious roast lunch and blackberry crumble with custard😋
Came home for a coffee and read newspapers…this is the life😄
As hey say, it all depends. When DC are with us, and DGC then we are likely to book Sunday lunch, because they will have a 150 mile journey home afterwards.
Otherwise, it has changed with our move of house. When we lived in a country village with one pub that in thirty years never had manager that could serve even half distant food going out meant a drive so was less frequent and involved thinking and booking.
Now we live in a town centre, and seem to have tradesmen in the house every day. eating out has become a lot more casual and 'of the moment'. Oh bother the workmen, let us nip out to the Lounge, the chip shop, M&S, the Indian for lunch, one of the 2 cafes less aa hundred yards from our home.'
However, on Sunday I always cook something special for lunch, if we are not out or away. Last Sunday it was pigeon breast in red wine. Next weekend it will be the first venison casserole of the Autumn months..
I've never enjoyed Sunday Lunch out though will go sometimes if invited...
As a vegetarian it's only ever "ok"
I did have a pretty reasonable nut roast at a retirement village restaurant about a month ago though- I was amazed (and hadn'treallybeen looking forwardtoi). It was the only vegetarian main course on offer.
The manager said they had "quite a few" vegetarians that they catered for regularly.
I'd rather have my evening meal out to be honest.
Big lunches make me just want to sleep!
Whitewavemark2
terribull we’ve eaten at those pubs. We used to like The Bull but it isn’t so good now I think. We tried The Ram at Firle one hot day - not bad.
Restaurants do change.
We enjoy going over to that area, we're not far away more West Sussex. A lot of my memories with my mother are around that area. The pub I took her to for lunch in the summer, when we could sit outside, was overlooking Cuckmere Haven that was one of her favourite views but that was a while ago, she died in 2008 and I think it's called something else now. I love Alfriston nearby we always stop off there for something to eat if we're over that way, often afternoon tea. We were there a couple of weeks ago after we'd visited Virginia Woolf's house.
Whilst we’re talking about roasts, what’s with the giant Yorkshire on every plate?
Is it taking up space from the more expensive meats on the plates?
Yorkshires used to be with beef only, I don’t like them much so request none on my plate.
terribull we’ve eaten at those pubs. We used to like The Bull but it isn’t so good now I think. We tried The Ram at Firle one hot day - not bad.
Restaurants do change.
We have no special day on which we eat out. It depends what we fancy., and if a table can be booked. This week we’ve eaten out on Wednesday and Monday. Next week it will be Wednesday again, because we are in London at theatre.
We have a couple of old pubs we've been to for Sunday lunch, lovely gardens in the summer for dining outside, one with a duck pond. In the winter indoor cosy ambience. We're more mid week diner outers, than Sunday. Sometimes with family on Sundays or friends in the week.
It's nice to take your mum out for lunch Oreo, I have a lot of memories of doing that with my mum. Summertime outside, a favourite of hers was a pub overlooking Cuckmere Haven spectacular views, or a nearby to her, very old village of Alfriston all timber beamed and very, very old pubs. Also good for afternoon teas.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.